Holidays Wheelin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There's two hills that hit the cattle pond. The right hill is extreme though you have to know how to find the north side. The left zig-zag is the book part of the trail...the main trail. Which didja do?

26324380-L.jpg

Straight up is where we went up to the ridge on the north (i.e. near Oak Flat) side of the cattle pond. On the other side just down from the ridge, the trail splits, something that looked like wide switchbacks off to the right. We went down straight...
DSC02891.jpg

To find the north side....is that where you end up going through that cattle chute? I think that's how we got there, but maybe it's a different climb.

Sean

Look at Claudia's first picture set. The upper left one. The trucks are heading up that first hill from Oak Flat along the Book Route. IF they'd a went LEFT at that fork they'd decend to the north pond area. The north pond is between the north side of the extreme hill and the slickrock/canyon.

The absolute best way to run this area is:

Enter AZ177 from the south
Climb Aoache Leap
Run the Powerline side of the loop (no Hackberry)
Hit the 2 viewpoints
At the south pond take the right fork up and down the extreme hill
THEN YOU HAVE A CHOICE:
1. Exit to the book route to avoid possible damage
2. Exit via extreme canyon, slickrock or both to Oak Flat via the east road

Straight up is where we went up to the ridge on the north (i.e. near Oak Flat) side of the cattle pond. On the other side just down from the ridge, the trail splits, something that looked like wide switchbacks off to the right. We went down straight...

Yes...that's the EZ book route. This area is tricky. It took a while for me to get it down. The wildest thing is that unless someone tells you what's there you'd never know these killer spots existed because they're not in books. Plus, the way in via Apache Leap (instead of Oak Flat) is AWESOME! J

There's something decidedly SWANKy about that first pic...

The second- wow, that looks steep. We never saw that.

-Spike

Here's a pic of that nasty ledge back in 2004.
azrun_day4_10.jpg

And here's a pic someone took of me going up the mini Lion's Back.
PICT6590.jpg

Ya, that ledge was easier in 2004. Much of it fell apart on a trip in 2005. I wonder what it looks like now. I would have to think even Spike struggled on it?

That picture angle on the slickrock is awesome! J

Ya, that ledge was easier in 2004. Much of it fell apart on a trip in 2005. I wonder what it looks like now. I would have to think even Spike struggled on it?

J

I fully expected to need extrication from the ledge, but the White Elephant walked it. I had serious doubts. I really woudn't have liked to have come to it from the top down, as I hear most people run it.

-Spike

Slickrock:
60496458-L.jpg

37453678-L.jpg

Extreme Canyon:
37453233-L.jpg

42941884-L.jpg

26592675-L.jpg

26592670-L.jpg

3rd pic is Inkpot's 37-inch-tired Pig. HEY INKPOT: Remember me running my stock 100 through this canyon? I had no idea what I was in for, huh?

Last edited:
There's a good-sized hole where the driver's rear tire is in the picture above, and no rocks in the V-notch to the left. Everything was covered with pinkish sand/gravel, to the point that walking the thing was difficult. Spike's on bias-ply 36's with I'd say 8psi had enough grip. Having the tire pass the rock on the right puts the left tire of the '80 at just about the edge/slope to the V. Michael didn't try it in the K5, since it's wider than an '80.

There's a good-sized hole where the driver's rear tire is in the picture above, and no rocks in the V-notch to the left. Everything was covered with pinkish sand/gravel, to the point that walking the thing was difficult. Spike's on bias-ply 36's with I'd say 8psi had enough grip. Having the tire pass the rock on the right puts the left tire of the '80 at just about the edge/slope to the V. Michael didn't try it in the K5, since it's wider than an '80.

Hmmm....sounds like somebody did some work there. Regardless...can't be anything near EZ. Too narrow a climb for me to try in the 80. Go Spike!

That is the first pic I've ever seen of that obstacle that actually comes close to capturing the true steepness.....good job. :)

Sean

Yes, BUT.....he wasn't even at the bottom where it's REALLY STEEP! Even in my frame-cut 80's I drag my rear bumpers at the climb's start. Sometimes it drags and I just slide sideways toward the gulch. THAT'S STEEP! :D

Hmmm....sounds like somebody did some work there. Regardless...can't be anything near EZ. Too narrow a climb for me to try in the 80. Go Spike!

There are a pair of grooves worn in the rock at the base of the climb, that's what got me. The rear diff hung on the ridge between them, taking the weight off the rear tires. Needed a pull from Spike to make it. I would say that it's a 35"+ tire spot now.

There are a pair of grooves worn in the rock at the base of the climb, that's what got me. The rear diff hung on the ridge between them, taking the weight off the rear tires. Needed a pull from Spike to make it. I would say that it's a 35"+ tire spot now.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but do any of you guys think the V notch off to the left of the ledge (if you're going up) is doable?

I remember at least 5 years ago being out there in my full bodied Toy (this was before I rolled it and put on the partial exo and flatbed) and thinking that the notch looked possible but I'd probably take major body damage as the body pitched into the walls of the notch.

As I recall the left side of the notch is vertical and the biggest part of the climb is 6-8' tall. The top is very offcamber with the driver side having to be several feet higher than the passenger at the top, making turning down as you climb up difficult b/c the rear driver tire's gonna wanna walk off the wall and into the center of the V.

There wasn't any vegetation last time I was there, so I wouldn't really consider it going "off-trail"....just a different line to the same obstacle. Anything change over the last few years?

Sean

***EDIT*** Nevermind....looking at this pic:

37454138-M.jpg

Looks like there's vegetation up on the top of the wall now.

Last edited:
Maybe this is a stupid question, but do any of you guys think the V notch off to the left of the ledge (if you're going up) is doable?

Funny you mention that. Michael said a buggy on fullsize axles could probably straddle the V... don't recall whether there was vegetation. By the way, the picture of Spike was taken by Michael standing at the bottom of the V; compared to the '04 picture, it looks considerably deeper now. The sand/gravel on the right side of the V might pose a traction problem as the passenger side tire would want to slide to the right on the initial climb.

Do you think it would help, or would I be better off just hiring a driver?:D

you're asking ME to drive it? :flipoff2:

I would likely hit the brake pedal with both feet :D and search endlessly for the hubs ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom