Holidays Wheelin? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me dumb ass. Yes, they were speaking of FR393. I seen Powerline and Hackberry together and the light went on. :whoops:

The Superior trip is an absolute extreme favorite....though most miss the good stuff because they're not familiar with the area. Or, they follow the book which misses all the good stuff. :mad:

Sorry for the confusion....the Wells book always calls it "Hackberry" and the AZ State Jambo always called it "Powerline". I've always just called it Powerline.

Agreed, the main trail is easy. Mini Moab is the best part of the trip and even there, there's little challenge if you're locked f/r with decent clearance.

Sean

Mini Moab is the best part of the trip and even there, there's little challenge if you're locked f/r with decent clearance.

Sean

Yes...the slickrock's EZ. It's the canyon that's right there and the extreme hill that make the trip (not in book).

Yes...the slickrock's EZ. It's the canyon that's right there and the extreme hill that make the trip (not in book).

Are you talking about the little canyon with a few curves that's off on the left (if you're going up to Mini-Moab) and has a few steps in it as you climb up to the hill climb?

Just wondering if we're talking about the same spot.

Sean

Are you talking about the little canyon with a few curves that's off on the left (if you're going up to Mini-Moab) and has a few steps in it as you climb up to the hill climb?

Just wondering if we're talking about the same spot.

Sean

Yep. Here:

37453255-L.jpg

Hmmm....I don't remember that spot. As I recall, there was a large rock face on the passenger side of the canyon as you went up. The wall was easily twice the height of the truck as you approached the two biggest ledges (steps). Is that pic at the very top of the canyon (before the climb) or before you enter the canyon?

Cool pic BTW. :)

Sean

Hmmm....I don't remember that spot. As I recall, there was a large rock face on the passenger side of the canyon as you went up. The wall was easily twice the height of the truck as you approached the two biggest ledges (steps). Is that pic at the very top of the canyon (before the climb) or before you enter the canyon?

Cool pic BTW. :)

Sean

That's the top of the canyon climb which equals the top of the Mini Lions Back. Yes, there's ledges down in there. Here's the second ledge.
37452891-L.jpg

Is this:

25914277-M.jpg

the top of the canyon? (sorry for stealing the pic from your site....nice site btw).

Sean

And entering the area via Apache Leap is the best. You top out at Viewpoint 1 just north of the Hackberry Creek junction. Don't forget Viewpoint 2 at the south end of the powerline.
37451643-L.jpg

Powerline? Same thing as Hackberry? If so, it's not difficult and the hardest part can be bypassed. It's a fairly boring road with some decent grades and slightly bigger than soft ball sized rocks except for the one section near the Powerlines. That section has a decent ledge, an optional v notch and some basketball and larger sized rocks. I haven't been in probably 5 years now, so take it for what it's worth.

HTH,
Sean

This:

25913797-M.jpg

is the ledge I was talking about in the above post....It's near the powerline and the section above has the basketball sized rocks. Wow, I can't believe how much rock stacking has taken place at the base.....the V notch is almost non-existant in the pic.

Sean

Is this:

25914277-M.jpg

the top of the canyon? (sorry for stealing the pic from your site....nice site btw).

Sean

Nope. The middle. At the base you turn up into a rock ledge. Then, you turn the opposite way and enter this middle area...your pic. You climb the bog rock then immediately climb that big ledge (white truck pic above). After that ledge you approach the top climb (Red Taco). Atop there is the top of the slickrock.

Oh, and thanks!

This:

25913797-M.jpg

is the ledge I was talking about in the above post....It's near the powerline and the section above has the basketball sized rocks. Wow, I can't believe how much rock stacking has taken place at the base.....the V notch is almost non-existant in the pic.

Sean

This is the worst optional obstacle on the trail. It's not too bad for an FJ40 or Jeep. For LWB and large size, the ditch swallows you and the rock on the right....we don't have the breakover. It's near the middleof the trail run.

Now, at the top of this area is Viewpoint 2. You get there from the opposite direction. The view is superb!

60496423-L.jpg

Nope. The middle. At the base you turn up into a rock ledge. Then, you turn the opposite way and enter this middle area...your pic. You climb the bog rock then immediately climb that big ledge (white truck pic above). After that ledge you approach the top climb (Red Taco). Atop there is the top of the slickrock.

Oh, and thanks!

Gotcha. Now I remember it better. Thanks for the pics and explanation.

Going back to look at your other pics now. :)

Sean

I know you have "buggy-eyes" on that crazy ledge! I think you're heading up there tonight. :D

Naw....did that easily a few different times in my old Toyota truck (38s, full widths, 227:1 gearing, ARB & Detroit, etc.).

Can't wait to get back out on some of these old trails though. I really missed wheeling while I was building my crap wagon. :D

Sean

No, Martinez is BLM land.....if you've never done it, DEFINITELY make the trip....

We've done Martinez last year, with MaddBaggins, goodtimes, and Spike. Turned into our introduction to CSC :D; it was a great trip, and I got a new tail light out of it!

I'm not totally gung-ho this time because a) I'd like to drive a trail I haven't been on, and b) I'm not sure the rock garden is going to be such a great thing with several rigs on open diffs. I know I was busy working my ARB buttons...

I want to do the FR160 trip for sure; question is not if but when...

Also, I need to resolve that Beeline to Bartlett thing, I've looked at those trails on the map too many times, it's about time I drive them to get them out of my system :D. Again, not set on a particular day.

We've done Martinez last year, with MaddBaggins, goodtimes, and Spike. Turned into our introduction to CSC :D; it was a great trip, and I got a new tail light out of it!

I'm not totally gung-ho this time because a) I'd like to drive a trail I haven't been on, and b) I'm not sure the rock garden is going to be such a great thing with several rigs on open diffs. I know I was busy working my ARB buttons...

I want to do the FR160 trip for sure; question is not if but when...

Also, I need to resolve that Beeline to Bartlett thing, I've looked at those trails on the map too many times, it's about time I drive them to get them out of my system :D. Again, not set on a particular day.
Agreed....a bunch of open diff'd vehicles on Martinez will make for a long day.

Ever done Upper Ajax or Lower Woodpecker? I'm thinking I'll be ready for a Saturday or Sunday run in the FJ area.

Sean

Agreed....a bunch of open diff'd vehicles on Martinez will make for a long day.

Ever done Upper Ajax or Lower Woodpecker? I'm thinking I'll be ready for a Saturday or Sunday run in the FJ area.

Sean

Just to clarify: I'm a (founding) member of the SheetMetal Gang, over at the K5 site :grinpimp:. Our mission is to 'wheel and keep the truck looking like the factory intended it - well, at least to some degree :D.

Seeing that you're riding a boatsided buggy with lexan side panels on 39 IROKs, I'm not sure I fit on the trails that are to your liking...

I've learned from my buggy-driving friends to be careful when they recommend a trail...:cool:

On my Tonto map Log Corral is FR3456, I have also seen it referred to as FR98, must have been changed? FR393 I have seen referred to as Power Line trail intersects with Log Corral close to the lake, if we cant cross the river, we could make it a loop coming out at Sunflower.

The river is running 2.32' today at the gauge close to the dam. Where we cross down stream at Riverside camp ground, the river is wider and shallower, still iffy.

IIRC Log Corral starts in Sycamore Creek, trees and rocky, climbs in a small canyon to the Corral on the ridge, then descends to the lake in a big sand wash, rated 3.5?

Power Line is a decomposed granite type road with washouts, cross axle stuff like FR42, rated at 3.0?

Someone who has been there in the last decade would probably be a better source of info?

Beware they sometimes let water out of the dam late in the evening. Making the crossing very scary.

FR393, as of 3-4 months ago, is interesting. It's a fairly long road, as was mentioned it ends up at the Sunflower turnoff. Yes, I ran Log Corral and FR393 a few months ago with the Nissan group. Log Corral gets a 3.5 rating for a 100 yard boulder field in the creek bed. I run it with no issues, but I've seen a couple of trucks up on both diffs spinning all 4. Find a spotter you can trust. It's fairly body-friendly, no big boulders anxious to reach out and touch someone. FR393 I've run several times, Thanatoz and I tried to run it from Sunflower one day after running the Sunflower Mine trail. We got all the way to Bartlett and the river, which was running and uncrossable (I tried). The road we were on has been closed anyway, and erosion is rampant- it was a hair raising experience. We ended up spending the night in the trucks, as we couldn't find Log Corral in the dark- and I'm not sure we would have been able to run it if we had. We woke up the next morning and ran 393 back out again, then later came back with the Nissan group to run the two trails. The run from Log Corral to Sunflower is nice, with some scary off-camber-on-ball-bearings-over-a-cliff stuff. The two trails make for a nice day, starting with Log Corral.

Say a nice Sunday? :D

-Spike

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom