Timing Adjustment for a 3FE Motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser Jimmy

Threads
Many threads have been raised regarding how to time a 3FE motor. Many have contributed to the cause of helping a fellow MUD'er out when in need but I have not run across an illustrated thread. Well, you can thank our current Moderator [Ken Romer] for asking someone to post up some 3FE threads to add to the FAQ's for us 3FE guys. So here goes.

0. Warm up the engine to operating temperature.

1. Loosen the bolt that holds the distributor. Don't remove the bolt.

2. Monitor the engine idle RPM. Idle rpm should be 650 rpm. The tach in the dash cluster can be used to monitor the rpm's but the FSM states that you should connect a tachometer test prove to terminal [IG] on the diagnostic's box.

3. In the diagnostic box, use a small diameter piece of wire and connect Terminal TE1 and E1. Recheck the rpm's.

4. Connect a timing light to number 1 cylinder spark plug lead.

5. Aim the timing light at the back of the engine on the passengers side as in Pic 2. Turn the distributor so that you see the large circle align with the small wire probe. You'll see the circle move back and forth as you move the distributor. This is what the FSM calls for timing, when the large circle and the wire mark are aligned, it's 7º BTDC.

Pic 1: Diagnostic box showing terminal TE1 and E1 connected.

Pic 2: Location of timing access view whole.

Pic 3: Shows the timing mark and TDC mark. The large circle is the 7º Before Top Dead Center (BTDC). The two small circles are Top Dead Center (TDC).

Good luck.
DSCF1051.jpg
DSCF1047.JPG
DSCF0410.JPG

Last edited:
Some additionally notes:

You're going to have a hard time getting a line of sight if this is your first time timing the rig. Find your best line, it'll come to ya.

If you can't get the engine to idle at 650 rpms, you could have the idle adjustment not set property and/or the TPS sensor [Pic 2] is out of adjustment.

Adjust the idle screw to the desired 650 rpms [Pic 1]. (When my idle was not right I adjusted the idle screw.) That did not work so I took off the throttle body and cleaned it out [Pic 2]. There was a lot of carbon build up in the two hose ports on the top of the TB. Cleaning those up and the general cleaning of the TB fixed the problem. I could get the idle back down to 650.

While the throttle body was off, I took the TPS off as to not contaminate it. To put in back on and adjusted it property takes an ohm meter. The TPS must be set right for the proper signal to register at the computer.
DSCF1050.JPG
DSCF1049.JPG

Last edited:
your write up came in quite handy,

Thank you
:cheers:

alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio,
Did you get your distrubutor fixed?

RT,
Thanks man.

Yea, got it to turn after some PB Blaster and a pair of Channelocks. Set it to 11 deg. and no pinging. Definatly has a little more pep now.

Newbie needs help in locating hole for 3FE

Hello!

I am new to the FJ80 3FE engine. Compared to a 2LTE Diesel LJ78 Prado, this engine is totally alien to me!

Anyway, I can't seem to find the timing hole!

Could someone reply with where exactly this hole is . What is it next to? Close to starter? All I know is that it is somewhere in the rear, passener side.

The picture is too focused on the hole and does not give a reference to parts close to it.

Thanks!

Some additionally notes:

You're going to have a hard time getting a line of sight if this is your first time timing the rig. Find your best line, it'll come to ya.

If you can't get the engine to idle at 650 rpms, you could have the idle adjustment not set property and/or the TPS sensor [Pic 2] is out of adjustment.

Adjust the idle screw to the desired 650 rpms [Pic 1]. (When my idle was not right I adjusted the idle screw.) That did not work so I took off the throttle body and cleaned it out [Pic 2]. There was a lot of carbon build up in the two hose ports on the top of the TB. Cleaning those up and the general cleaning of the TB fixed the problem. I could get the idle back down to 650.

While the throttle body was off, I took the TPS off as to not contaminate it. To put in back on and adjusted it property takes an ohm meter. The TPS must be set right for the proper signal to register at the computer.

Can you give us info how did you adjust tps using ohm-meter...... any ohm references ect?

Best regards

Hello!

I am new to the FJ80 3FE engine. Compared to a 2LTE Diesel LJ78 Prado, this engine is totally alien to me!

Anyway, I can't seem to find the timing hole!

Could someone reply with where exactly this hole is . What is it next to? Close to starter? All I know is that it is somewhere in the rear, passener side.

The picture is too focused on the hole and does not give a reference to parts close to it.

Thanks!

If you look at the picture you can see the end of the side cover on the engine, that should get you in the area, the hole will be covered by a plate held on with one 10mm bolt.

Can you give us info how did you adjust tps using ohm-meter...... any ohm references ect?

Best regards

the manual has this info.

I did this a couple of days ago. Thanks for the write-up. I have used so many things from this site lately. This is one of the best. My 3FE is runnin' great...

Thanks!!

Raven,
The 91 and 92 3FE port is actually covered by a rubber plug, look in the second pic that jklubens put up, follow the heating line rail along the head and at the back of the block you will see the plug you are looking for.
Dave

If you look at the picture you can see the end of the side cover on the engine, that should get you in the area, the hole will be covered by a plate held on with one 10mm bolt.

the manual has this info.

I dont have an FSM............ :(

Can you support us with one scan from fsm to get info regarding tps adjust?

Nikos,
I'll see if I can get some pics up on the TPS tonight for ya.

Are you able to buy an FSM in Poland or do you need someone to help out with the logistics?

no sorry, my 1990 FSM is in FL with my FJ62.

Raven,
The 91 and 92 3FE port is actually covered by a rubber plug,

that is interesting. I am surprised that they changed it.

Nikos,

if you take the electrical connector off you will see four electrical leads.
From the top (closest to the hood) to the bottom the name of the wires are:
VC
VTA
IDL
E2

Legally I can reproduce the page from the FSM. But in summary, here's what you need to do:

1. disconnect the sensor connector.
2. insert a thickness guage between the throttle stop screw and stop lever. (This is on the opposite side of the TPS.)
3. With an ohmmeter, measure the resistance between each terminal.

At 0.0mm clearance between lever and stop screw the resistance should be 0.3-6.3kΩ between terminals VTA-E2.
At 0.77mm clearance between lever and stop screw the resistance should be less than 2.3kΩ between terminals IDL-E2
At 1.09mm clearance between lever and stop screw the resistance should be infinity between terminals IDL-E2
At 'throttle valve fully opened position' clearance between lever and stop screw the resistance should be 3.5-10.3kΩ between terminals VTA-E2
At '-' clearance between lever and stop screw the resistance should be 4.25-8.25kΩ between terminals VC-E2.

This is a great thread, I am about to tune-up my truck, and I am having trouble getting my truck down to 650 rpm. I will follow your thread and try th cleaning of the AFM and see what happens.

Thanks

I can NOT get a good sight line to the flywheel marks.

92 FJ80 3FE

Dave

I used an inspection mirror. The fellow aircraft guys know these well.

I sometimes view it from the front on the engine bay. I have to move some wires and hoses to get a some what good line of sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom