1992 FJ80 Problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, i am somewhat new to landcruiser's last august i bought a 92 FJ80 with a 3f motor that now has 88,600 mi and so far i have had a complete tune up, valves adjusted, synthetic in the transfer case and rear ends, new brakes, intake system cleaned, transmission completely flushed of all fluid and refilled. There is still a couple of things that bother me and i am hoping you guys can help me with. Ever since i got it, it has had a fairly rough idle even though i run "good" chevron gas, i was told i need to have my injectors cleaned ,flow tested and balanced, how do they balance them? The other issue concerns the trans, it to has been doing this since i got it, even after having it flushed. From a stop when i take my foot of of the brake it sometimes feels like it is just momentarily finding it's gear and it will also upshift buy or before it reaches 10mph, is there a adjustment for this? The last thing is taking of in 3rd and getting up to about 40mph then shifting to OD i sometimes here an slight clunk. A transmission guy said it is nothing to worry about that the older toyota truck automatic were kind of loose shifting. I will be taking it in to gregs japanese auto in seattle, Wa on monday to have the injectors and trans looked at, if you have any suggestions that i could tell them to look at i would be gratefull. Here is Greg's web site if you want to check them out. www.gregs.com    
Randy

Randy, welcome to the party! Good to see another 1992 FJ80 owner who enjoys the 3FE and shuns the power of the 1FZE. ;)

First of all, you're wasting your #6 funds (you'll find out about that later...) if you're putting more than 87 octane pump gas in the tank. The 3FE was designed to have that octane rating and will run on worse. (Say, if you have to travel to the Land of Entrapment, New Mexico, where regular pump gas is 85-86 octane.)

Second, get yourself a Factory Service Manual (FSM). They run about $100 bucks, but you'll make that up on the first repair.

Third, with 86K (are you sure that's not 186K?) you probably have the lowest mileage '92 on this site... and what you have done so far is good as a basic tune up. The factory idle should be around 625 RPM. Mine has a little stumble to it, but not enough to really notice or bother me. You might check the spark plug wires, using an Ohm meter, to see if they are still in spec., because sometimes they can get worn and cracked.

As for injectors, I've never dealt with mine yet, so I'll let the other gurus deal with that point, but will check my FSM when I get home this evening and see if there is anything there.

For a transmission, you have the venerable A440F automatic transmission. A very stout unit, if I do say so myself, and with proper care, it'll last 300K. That being said, the shifting issues you have may be a result of an improperly adjusted transmission kick-down cable.

(I'm doing this from memory, so bear with me...) Pop the hood and from the US Driver's side look at the top, rear of the intake. You will see a bracket with a cable coming out towards you, with a reddish orange cap on the cable sleeve, and a silver "stopper" on the cable itself. If the play in between the cap and the stopper on the cable is more than 1.5mm you need to adjust the cable play to 1.5mm. This is done by loosening the nuts on the cable sleeve which hold the cable to the bracket, and slightly moving the cable sleeve towards you, then tightening the nuts (12 or 14mm wrench I believe.)

Make sure you make very slight adjustments, as the kick down cable is pretty sensitive. Often time this adjustment makes the cruiser drive like a new truck...

I know that a picture would help here, but you'll probably get the drift once you get under the hood. If anyone has a pic in their files, would you mind posting it?

And finally, drivetrain clunks. Some of us have them, some of us don't. They are, for the most part, normal in the FJ80s; however, that being said, have your mechanic check your U-Joints in the driveshafts. They can wear out and cause the clunks you speak of, and you don't want them to go on you.

Don't know about Greg's. Again, welcome! You'll learn a lot here. If it makes you feel better about the purchase, I've got 178,000 miles on my 1992 FJ80, and she's still going strong!

-H-

as usual I think you are on the right track hill. I've got 5 bucks on the kick down cable. as far as the 86k..... You kick Ass. mine is at 165k as of this last weekend trip to moab.
on the idling issue, mine idles rough primarily when warm, havent bothered to look into it that hard yet but might this summer. Glad to see a 92 in northern WA, I should be up there first part of June.
The injectors are your least likely culprit on the idling issue unless this truck with 86k sat for a few years before you got it with fuel in the tanks. Not sure just thinking out loud.
Dave :beer:

Randy,
Bienvenidos!

The majority of your questions were capably covered by -H-. (Nice job BTW)

>> i was told i need to have my injectors cleaned, <<
>> flow tested and balanced, how do they balance them? <<

www.rceng.com is the group that is most recommended. I believe Slee Off-road uses them. The balancing procedure is fully explained on the above web site.

I would run some Toyota FI cleaner through the system before I pulled my injectors and sent them off. Follow the directions on the can.

The tranny kickdown adjustment for a later model is here:
http://www.bamboomoon.com/landcruiser/tbcables.html
I believe this is basically the same automatic transmission that you have. There is a link to Randy's procedure on the ih8mud Technical page.

-B-

:beer:
Cool, another 3fe driver. If we get enough maybe we can start a sub category for the "3fe 80's". Mine has 206k on it and my idle is about like everyone else's. Just to add to the previous good points: check ALL of your vacuum lines and the large intake hoses from the air box. I had a crack/hole on the underside between the pleats that drove me crazy for a few days. Also, the vacuum lines that run along the back side of the air intake hoses can crack or pop loose causing rough idle.
As far as the clunks, I have them too. According to sage advice here on the board, it may be too much slack-backlash in the rear diff. if your u-joints are ok. It could be the output shaft on the x-fer case. only way to check ids drop the RR d-shaft and see where the play is.
Wow, 86k, that must have been a weekend grocery getter.
welcome! :)

We 3fe's gotta stick together! But seriously, I love my 91, it has 78,000, has been driven almost every day since 91, just on short trips to school or work.

-John

Another 3FE driver here and love my truck. I'm right around 160,000 miles and have a rough idle when warm. I also have some clunks in the tranny when I cut the throttle abruptly, I think that type is pretty common.

I have a hunch that these 3FE's will outlast the 1fze's, then us mocked 3FE drivers shall have the last laugh heh heh :D

Up,

If they do it's because they have fewer things to worry about...................... ::)  Remember?

8)
Thanks for all the good information, i adjusted my trans kick down cable and now i don't have to push so hard on the gas pedal to get it to drop down for going up hills, not sure how it shifted when new but evrything seems ok. As far as my injector tested i think i will hold off on that.Is there anyway to tell if they are leaking without pulling them? When i had it at the shop they did a vacum test a found a slight vacume leak after fixing it it still ran alittle rough, would a leaking intake manifold or egr show up on a vacume test. After having my valves adjusted and the motor decarboned my idle on start up is 1500 to 1600rpm then settles down to around 950rpm without AC on, they must have reset it trying to make it run smoother, sould i take it back and have them reset it or is it something i can do. About the type of gas and milage. I run chevron 87 octane and every few tank fills i put in Redling FI cleaner (is toyota FI cleaner better?) And yes the LC now has 88,600 originol miles, that probably explanies why i had to pay 12K for it and the dealer would'nt budge on the price, he told me he won't have any trouble selling it, when i saw it it had only been on the lot for two days, i was out lookng at 4runners and when i saw & test drove the LC i new i had to have it. Did i pay to much. Again thanks guys for all your help.
Randy

Quick answers to a couple of your questions. No, you didn't pay too much. It's a nice, low mileage cruiser that'll last for years. I picked up mine for $7800 last October with 172K on it....

Yes, the idle is too high, have it reset. I'll check the FSM and post the procedure here shortly.

-H-

Randy,
Not to rag on you dude, but your posts give me a headache.  :tear: If you'll capitalize the "I"'s and proper names and use some paragraphs, your posts will be more readable.

You spell good though!

-B-

The Wulf likes paragraphs, in a very cerebral way. 8)

Headed for Moab, na na na na na na. :p

The Wulf likes paragraphs, in a very cerebral way. 8)

Headed for Moab, na na na na na na. :p

You bastard! I was originally supposed to leave Saturday for Moab but due to job related problems, I had to cancel my trip. GRRRRRRRRRRRR..... Now I can only sit and dream..... :slap:

Up,

That's Mr. Bastard, you canceled the whole trip? :tear:

We'll miss you. :ugh:

&nbsp:Dan :beer:

Yeah, I cancelled the whole trip. I'm tied down with some fundraising activities for my team and had a bunch of other stuff all come up at the same time. What makes it worse is when you have been looking forward to it for 4 months. Now I'm just turning my attention toward my next big trip in the end of July and dedicating more days toward it. Mostly Colorado, maybe some Moab if the weather is decent.

I'll tell you what though Cdan, get a bunch of pictures while your there and crack open a :beer: for me as you watch a brilliant sunset on the slick rock with a bunch of sweet Cruisers! Have fun. :G

Randy, welcome to the party! Good to see another 1992 FJ80 owner who enjoys the 3FE and shuns the power of the 1FZE. ;)

First of all, you're wasting your #6 funds (you'll find out about that later...) if you're putting more than 87 octane pump gas in the tank. The 3FE was designed to have that octane rating and will run on worse. (Say, if you have to travel to the Land of Entrapment, New Mexico, where regular pump gas is 85-86 octane.)

Second, get yourself a Factory Service Manual (FSM). They run about $100 bucks, but you'll make that up on the first repair.

Third, with 86K (are you sure that's not 186K?) you probably have the lowest mileage '92 on this site... and what you have done so far is good as a basic tune up. The factory idle should be around 625 RPM. Mine has a little stumble to it, but not enough to really notice or bother me. You might check the spark plug wires, using an Ohm meter, to see if they are still in spec., because sometimes they can get worn and cracked.

As for injectors, I've never dealt with mine yet, so I'll let the other gurus deal with that point, but will check my FSM when I get home this evening and see if there is anything there.

For a transmission, you have the venerable A440F automatic transmission. A very stout unit, if I do say so myself, and with proper care, it'll last 300K. That being said, the shifting issues you have may be a result of an improperly adjusted transmission kick-down cable.

(I'm doing this from memory, so bear with me...) Pop the hood and from the US Driver's side look at the top, rear of the intake. You will see a bracket with a cable coming out towards you, with a reddish orange cap on the cable sleeve, and a silver "stopper" on the cable itself. If the play in between the cap and the stopper on the cable is more than 1.5mm you need to adjust the cable play to 1.5mm. This is done by loosening the nuts on the cable sleeve which hold the cable to the bracket, and slightly moving the cable sleeve towards you, then tightening the nuts (12 or 14mm wrench I believe.)

Make sure you make very slight adjustments, as the kick down cable is pretty sensitive. Often time this adjustment makes the cruiser drive like a new truck...

I know that a picture would help here, but you'll probably get the drift once you get under the hood. If anyone has a pic in their files, would you mind posting it?

And finally, drivetrain clunks. Some of us have them, some of us don't. They are, for the most part, normal in the FJ80s; however, that being said, have your mechanic check your U-Joints in the driveshafts. They can wear out and cause the clunks you speak of, and you don't want them to go on you.

Don't know about Greg's. Again, welcome! You'll learn a lot here. If it makes you feel better about the purchase, I've got 178,000 miles on my 1992 FJ80, and she's still going strong!

-H-

86K? When I bought mine about 18 months ago, it only had 52K, now finally hit 68K.

Oops! Sorry, found this while searching for a brake adjustment and couldn't resist!:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom