LHD vs RHD resale difference (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The whole "JDM" culture/vibe/whatever is pretty well divorced from the truck world. Most big ticket 80's I see have LS swaps, and the entire catalog of off-road/overland parts thrown at it, since that culture seems here to stay as well.

I've seen prices all over, and it really comes down to how much someone wants a something. Particularly clean and well maintained examples fetch a premium, as with all things. Finding and swapping a diesel into an LHD in North America is a difficult and expensive endeavor, so if someone wants a diesel, it's easiest to find a factory diesel one, especially RHD.

The Jap spec ones tend to be better taken care of for the most part, and they do have little neat stuff like the compass/inclineometer, fender mirror, rear LSD, and especially the fridge, etc. that make it interesting.

Parts really arent difficult to get, I'm actually very happy with how easy it's been so far. I'm currently restoring an HDJ81, fixing the bits of rust, and daily driving it in the mean time.

Driving backwards in the drive thru is an option. I dont go through them much, but usually I just throw it in park and run around to the other side. It's really no big deal. Doesnt take too long to get used to driving on the wrong side either.

I dont expect to see $60k+ RHD examples selling any time soon, regardless of how many accessories they have hanging off of them, but perhaps one day. There's plenty of variety with different ways you can set these things up, so not everyone is doing the exact same mods.

Another factor is location. In the northwest, I imagine I would have a far easier time selling than I will here in FL.

Oh and Yanmar marine as well as one or two other companies actually brought over the 24 valve 1HDFT and used it, funnily enough. So technically you can get parts for those if youre okay with paying boat tax prices

I would say driving RHD is a minor annoyance if anything. Yeah you won't be passing any semi trucks on two lane country roads any time soon, but that might be the case for any 80 without an LS haha... bottom line, RHD is the easiest way to get into a low mileage stock diesel in the US. LHD imports just got driven more than a lot of the JDM cars.

Here's the numbers (price including shipping or already in the US) that I saw while shopping for mine:

LHD HDJ80 w/ 1HDFT, Canary Islands, 36K miles: $80K (BaT)

RHD HDJ81 w/ 1HDFT, Japan, less than 30K miles: $55K

LHD HDJ80 w/1HDFT, Canary Islands, 235K miles: $46K

LHD HZJ80 w/ 1HZ, Europe, 160K miles: $35K

RHD HDJ81 w/ 1HDFT, Japan, 100K miles: $34K

LHD HDJ80 w/ 1HDFT, Europe, 250K miles: $32K not including shipping

RHD HDJ81 w/ 1HDFT, Japan, 150K miles: $32K

LHD HDJ80 w/ 1HDT, S America, 155K miles: $30K

LHD HDJ80 w/1HDT, Europe, 255K miles: $30K

But there are so many caveats to this, some are manual, some are 3x locked, some have airbags, some don't... I was looking for a 95-97 as well so these are mostly late models. I probably researched 40-50 trucks in the US when looking at 91-97, HDT, HDFT, HZ... I was surprised at how many are in the US and the market seems to move them pretty quickly.

A lot of the JDM cars on the lower end of the budget range (under $30K) had obviously been rolled back. I even saw one that claimed to have less than 100K miles and on the timing belt sticker you could see it had been changed at close to 200K miles. haha.

As far as resale down the road.. no idea. These don't really seem like the kind of car you hang onto for just a bit, more like a life time commitment in my opinion.

Yes, JDM is generally cheaper but it's also a lot easier to find a better example if you're willing to live with the RHD. Personally if I had $35K to spend and I had to choose between a LHD 1HZ and a RHD 1HDFT, I'd be picking the RHD just because of the engine alone.

My buddy used to have a rhd Fairlady. He had one of those plastic toy reach extenders with the claw on the end in his car for going through drive thrus.

That was meant to be a humorous example of why not to own a rhd. But once again you got your panties in a wad.

Do people actually drive backwards into the drive thru?
I was kind of kidding around about driving through backwards and exaggerating how RHD is an inconvenience to LHD. I would in reality reach over the passenger seat and grab the food or walk inside of it was me.

I wouldn't plan to sell a RHD rig. If I were looking to buy one, I would plan to keep it and drive it long enough to get my initial price out of it in enjoyment. Cars are not good investments, regardless of what the interwebs say. If you like a particular rig enough to buy it, and don't mind or even like the RHD factor, buy it. It's fair to assume that any vehicle will decline in value, and I'd say a RHD LC is more susceptible to that than most vehicles you can buy. That's just my two cents.

That was meant to be a humorous example of why not to own a rhd. But once again you got your panties in a wad.

Do people actually drive backwards into the drive thru?

That's the comment that's always made.

"I wouldn't own a rhd because of drive thrus, I wouldn't want to drive backwards"

It's said enough some of these people have to believe it.

I was kind of kidding around about driving through backwards and exaggerating how RHD is an inconvenience to LHD. I would in reality reach over the passenger seat and grab the food or walk inside of it was me.

I used to go inside. During covid so many of the lobbies here closed and never reopened that I don't even check anymore.

I used to go inside. During covid so many of the lobbies here closed and never reopened that I don't even check anymore.
Instead of driving backwards I either go into the lobby or have my 6 yr old sit in the front seat and handle the credit card. he loves it. Only drops it occasionally

What does a 3fe truck has to do with the discussion? The idea here is to compare identical trucks with the only difference being RHD/LHD. How much do you think a clean, very low mileage HDJ80 (LHD) would fetch in your state? Probably at least double of what you paid (not to mention that it sounds like you overpaid for yours).

I've bought and sold 2-3 dozen 80's over the years. Both RHD and LHD. Gas and diesel. And i'll double down on what i said earlier - price difference between 2 very similar trucks with the only difference being the LHD/RHD will be 50% AT THE MINIMUM. In most cases much, much more. Again - same year, drivetrain and mileage/condition. The only exception to this might be completely trashed, sub $10k cruisers.

RHD owners in this thread are getting way to defensive and delusional about the fair market value of their trucks. RHD is the cheapest admission ticket into the diesel game. That's the only reason people in North America buy them. There's virtually no one in the market for a high end 80 that would ever consider a RHD.

Is RHD impossible to drive and get used to? No, absolutely not. I've owned and driven multiple RHD's. But it's a pain. And drive-through's is not the serious issue here. The main issue is safety. Passing people (in the opposite direction lane), and making left turns is WAY more dangerous. Getting t-boned while making a left turn at a traffic light is already one of the most common types of accidents. With RHD, the chances of this happening are increased exponentially (unless you love sitting at each left turn until the light turns red, and getting flipped/honked at all the time). And if/when you do get t-boned, your chances of serious injury/death are exponentially higher as well, since you're sitting on the side that gets hit. This is one of the reasons why a large number of insurance companies either refuse, or charge significantly more for RHD insurance.

So you're telling me a 140,000 mile lhd cruiser with a diesel from 1991 would sell for 45-50k?

I paid market value.

Every diesel cruiser in Washington when I bought mine was 20-27k. I bought mine in 2021 during peak COVID. But a quick look of the market shows the cheapest diesel cruiser is still 20k

People make baseless assumptions about these rigs having never owned or driven one.

I daily one and it's no different than a normal rig. Maintenance is easier. Drive thrus are a non issue. Parts aren't difficult there are tons of resources.
I've owned RHD vehicles and it is certainly not the same as driving a LHD vehicle around.

When making a right turn at an intersection, you need to be "squared off" in order to see oncoming traffic. If you come in at just the wrong angle, what's in your line of sight? Either the B-pillar or your passenger's noggin.

Merging onto a freeway: Normally, a 15 degree glance off-center and you see upcoming traffic in your side view mirror. RHD:, it's like 75 degrees from center... and the mirror is 4 ft away. That's like shaving in the bathroom mirror but standing 4 ft back from the sink. It's certainly worse.

And, already mentioned, passing on a two lane highway is less safe due to visibility.

I could probably drive from my back seat and get used to it but it's certainly worse than driving from the front seat.

I can see how people love the 80 series exterior but 105 series is already importable and the interior is much better and it is newer. Newer means spare parts are more available.

I've owned RHD vehicles and it is certainly not the same as driving a LHD vehicle around.

When making a right turn at an intersection, you need to be "squared off" in order to see oncoming traffic. If you come in at just the wrong angle, what's in your line of sight? Either the B-pillar or your passenger's noggin.

Merging onto a freeway: Normally, a 15 degree glance off-center and you see upcoming traffic in your side view mirror. RHD:, it's like 75 degrees from center... and the mirror is 4 ft away. That's like shaving in the bathroom mirror but standing 4 ft back from the sink. It's certainly worse.

And, already mentioned, passing on a two lane highway is less safe due to visibility.

I could probably drive from my back seat and get used to it but it's certainly worse than driving from the front seat.

I can see how people love the 80 series exterior but 105 series is already importable and the interior is much better and it is newer. Newer means spare parts are more available.
Finding good condition and low mileage 105s is going to be a struggle I think, compared to 80s, with no JDM supply. Plus factory turbo diesel variants are extremely rare. From what I hear body quality of the 100 isn‘t anything spectacular either, they certainly seem very rust prone.

I've started searching. My dream would be to buy an HDJ100 and an HZJ105 and merge them to make the perfect HDJ105. I can get the HDJ100 from Japan but I don't think they got the 105 so that would have to be Australia or some other market, not sure. Seems like a common enough swap in Australia and the engine should bolt right in for the most part. Maybe I'll find a 105 with a decent body and chassis and use the low mileage JDM interior and engine. But that will be a big project down the road.

People make baseless assumptions about these rigs having never owned or driven one.

I daily one and it's no different than a normal rig. Maintenance is easier. Drive thrus are a non issue. Parts aren't difficult there are tons of resources.

My argument against RHD in a LHD country has always been about safety. Try passing a semi in a RHD on a two-lane mountain road. It is not safe to do in the slightest.

Having driven to Panama and back nearly eight times, there was more than once I would have died passing in a RHD vehicle on these kind of roads. Perhaps that is why countries like Costa Rica have a ban on RHD vehicles?

I been to Australia, I have driven a RHD vehicle in a RHD country. Every single time these arguments come up people don’t talk about how a RHD country drives on the opposite side of the road. IE, driver is still sitting on the center of the road vs on the shoulder or in the gutter. This is exactly why in a RHD country, such as Australia, I want to drive a RHD vehicle.

I have heard the argument many times that, “you won’t be passing anything in a diesel Land Cruiser” so why worry about it. I guess these folks don’t drive like I do or where I do, that’s about all I can respond with. Personally, I am not interested in sitting behind any big truck doing 20-35mph for hours on end on country or mountain roads which is where I enjoy my Cruisers the most. For decades I have yet to hear a good argument against my points of safety, ready to hear them anytime though.

To each his own. 🤙

Cheers

When I merge I use my rear view.

I feel no different turning right in my rhd or lhd drive rigs and I swap between them routinely.

As far as passing a semi I can't argue that. But it's come up in my 2 years and 40,000 miles of ownership like 1 time. Injust don't see that many semis on 2 lanes here.

Again, I've daily driven my rhd for 2 years. It feels no different than a lhd at this point.

Personally, I would never own a RHD in a LHD country primarily for safety reasons and secondly resale value.

When they show up here on the market they are listed for a long time and the price adjustments down from original asking are frequent till they do sell.

I tried one for a day, hated it!

When I merge I use my rear view.

I feel no different turning right in my rhd or lhd drive rigs and I swap between them routinely.

As far as passing a semi I can't argue that. But it's come up in my 2 years and 40,000 miles of ownership like 1 time. Injust don't see that many semis on 2 lanes here.

Again, I've daily driven my rhd for 2 years. It feels no different than a lhd at this point.
Well, that's where we are different. I have three cruisers and with all of them, the rear mirror is obstructed by an oversized spare tire and gear. I also pass cars/trucks regularly on two lane highways.

I could probably get used to driving from the back seat too but it's not better nor the same as driving from the front seat. :)

Well, that's where we are different. I have three cruisers and with all of them, the rear mirror is obstructed by an oversized spare tire and gear. I also pass cars/trucks regularly on two lane highways.

I could probably get used to driving from the back seat too but it's not better nor the same as driving from the front seat. :)

It's not about getting used to it

I paid attention to my left mirror. I can see it from the driver's seat without even moving my head. You're really blowing the whole right turn/merge out of proportion.

and if you've blocked your rear view to the point you can't see, youve lost all credibility on what's safe.

my gear and spare are stacked so I can still see.

Personally, I would never own a RHD in a LHD country primarily for safety reasons and secondly resale value.

When they show up here on the market they are listed for a long time and the price adjustments down from original asking are frequent till they do sell.

I tried one for a day, hated it!

Again, value is area dependant. They sell quickly here and for a strong price.

I paid attention to my left mirror. I can see it from the driver's seat without even moving my head. You're really blowing the whole right turn/merge out of proportion.

and if you've blocked your rear view to the point you can't see, youve lost all credibility on what's safe.
Pretty much all semi-truck and box truck drivers have no usable rearview mirror. They must be unsafe drivers too?

Are you saying your peripheral vision is just as good as your vision straight ahead? Try reading a book with your head turned at a 45 degree angle.

You're saying it's the same. I'm saying it's different. I'm not blowing it out of proportion. You're in denial. ;)

Here's an interesting study about Sweden. They've always had LHD vehicles (due to International trade) but prior to 1967, the country was Left Hand Traffic (Wrong Hand Drive). In 1967, they switched to Right Hand Traffic and accidents decreased by 30%.

Screen Shot 2023-05-26 at 9.40.44 AM.png

Attachments

• 1001186524.pdf
    771.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom