Memorial Day Weekend (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have plans for the weekend. Was thinking about making a two day trip out of Judith River. Looking to make a group ride out of it but if not I’ll still be up there exploring.

IMG_2052.jpeg

wheres your snorkle?
No snorkel, I’ve been watching some videos and reading whatever I can find about it but seems like stock vehicles can do it. Majority of vehicles from videos don’t have one. Ofc I’ll be careful and avoid going deeper than the door jambs (from what I’ve read that’s about the limit)

Should be a good run. I haven’t been up there this season but we went last June (earlier in June) and it was still pretty snowed in. I hope it’s clear for you. Post up if it is open.

The Judith is a blast. But might be high. I can't remember the flow/gage height when the Club ran it two years ago.
I have yet to get up there but from what I could find on USGS the gage height is at ~6’ or a foot above same time last year. Doesn’t give me the best info for the water crossings themselves but better than nothing. Also concerned about downed trees maybe.

I have yet to get up there but from what I could find on USGS the gage height is at ~6’ or a foot above same time last year. Doesn’t give me the best info for the water crossings themselves but better than nothing. Also concerned about downed trees maybe.
isnt there rain in the forecast?

there was a bunch of vids i posted of driving through the water on my IG but that's in the way way back.

downed trees are likely. we defiantly cut a couple out of the way that day.

i was told the snow was melted off... so you got that going for ya.

isnt there rain in the forecast?

there was a bunch of vids i posted of driving through the water on my IG but that's in the way way back.

downed trees are likely. we defiantly cut a couple out of the way that day.

i was told the snow was melted off... so you got that going for ya.
Yea, seems like scattered clouds though, nothing crazy I hope. What’s your IG? And yea downed trees would suck since I don’t have a chainsaw to bring or an axe. Worst case I just see how flathead pass is looking. And the snow is good news.

don't let me talk you out of it. but defiantly would be a poor decision to not travel with an axe this time of the year.

Finalizing my route.
Day 1 - Olsen creek to fairy lake (if they’re open) end the day camping along lion creek.
Day 2 - Ettien Ridge to Judith river (camp at trailhead if I don’t get there by 12/1pm, either way end the day camping at Judith river TH.
Day 3 - Drive to flathead pass then head home.

Ofc this is subject to change based on how many trees are down on the trail or if the weather turns from rain showers to thunderstorms and pouring rain.

IMG_2054.png

Ended up doing all this in one day. Olsen Creek was closed at the second gate, still some snow at the top. Fairy Lake is still closed. Tried to get to Ettien Ridge, and was unsuccessful due to too many trees down. Drove around and into judith river where lots of people were out on side by sides. Got close to the first water crossing and ran into some trees down, looked like people had made it accessible for side by sides. Also talked to a few people there and they all really questioned it, and between the trees and what I've gathered from talking to a few people, I turned back around for another day. I still had a ton of fun and gained some more confidence on the trails but definitely something to do with a group. Heres some photos from the day, the weather was spotty but for the most part and when/where it mattered it was pretty nice out.

Glad you got out. I added a chainsaw to my kit after the first summer in Montana. Some trails won't "open" up till hunting season with out one.

Electric chain saws are a game changer! Not just for clearing trails but making fire wood prep a dream. It's great not having to listen to a screaming engine while enjoying an adult beverage at the end of the day. I was hesitant after running a gaser.
I'm a DeWalt guy but I hear there are some that like Milwaukee (I always keep an eye on those guys). :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom