FAQ Building an FAQ for the 90 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Update: I installed the new pump but apparently I left a piece of the old pump on this high pressure line. The threaded 24mm nut did not come off with the old pump. Any ideas how to get this off? Do I just need to get a new HP line and that 17mm nut?

EA440E55-57AE-4A83-825B-F604CB9B06FC.jpeg

Update: I installed the new pump but apparently I left a piece of the old pump on this high pressure line. The threaded 24mm nut did not come off with the old pump. Any ideas how to get this off? Do I just need to get a new HP line and that 17mm nut?

View attachment 3280515
Update: held bottom with 24mm wrench and turned top with 17mm, took some force to break it even though I’d loosened it recently before.

image.jpg

I have a silly KZJ95 question. I don’t get a chime when I leave my headlights on. Initially I shrugged my shoulders and thought it was a LC thing or the fact that it came originally with two batteries meant you could leave the lights on for hours to set up a campsite or something, but then it occurred to me that the Japanese are so careful with everything else, I’m wondering if it should have one and maybe it just isn’t working?
Ever figure this out? I’m in the same boat

I saw that in the 90’s, Toyota was very focused on “Quiet” and perhaps it wasn’t included. I really don’t know for sure. The 90 Prado is not quiet at all!
Definitely not. I’ll have to add one. Probably not too difficult

First vehicle in probably ten years without auto headlights. Even my 80 series had them.

If anybody needs a Prado 90/95 windshield, let me know. I'm importing 3 windows to Texas and obviously only need one. Was thinking of keeping the 2nd as spare and selling the 3rd. It is XYG aftermarket glass, but hey beggars can't be choosers. US Domestic 4runner glass will not fit (tried and failed).

Hey there, I think the most important questions regarding the 1kz engines involve keeping the engine cool!
things like:
upgrading to a 10 fin fan
topping up viscous hub oil
3" dump off the turbo
multi-gauges
EGR delete + manifold clean
76 degree C thermostat (being from Canada, this is only good in summer)

any more cooling mods id love to hear about. the potential for me towing up mountains in the future is high.

If anybody needs a Prado 90/95 windshield, let me know. I'm importing 3 windows to Texas and obviously only need one. Was thinking of keeping the 2nd as spare and selling the 3rd. It is XYG aftermarket glass, but hey beggars can't be choosers. US Domestic 4runner glass will not fit (tried and failed).
Did you end up selling the 3rd? I’d be willing to purchase it from you.

Hello lads,

I was just wondering if anyone has tracked down a wheel bearing kit.
Prado is getting fixed up by relative overseas before import to US.

front or rear wheel bearing?

get the vin from your prado, enter it in on partsouq, find it there with the toyota part number, then enter that part number in on toyotapartsdeal or parts.toyota.com.

pretty good chance that will find it for you.

--r

Good morning from the states,

Just wondering if anyone has the wiring diagram for the ‘96 Prado 1KZ-TE? I’m having issues with starting the vehicle i.e. no check engine light. I’ve gotten lucky jiggling connections under the steering wheel column to get the light to come on but my luck has now run dry. I’ve noticed the glow plug light doesn’t flash on anymore either so I wonder if they are related. Im thinking some wiring has gone bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Wilson

does your truck have an immobilizer?

--r

worth an ask. i fired from the hip. our 96 is immobilized but it is from germany...

--r

Hi, I recently picked up a RHD 1997 Prado with the 5VZ-FE V6. I'm having issues with my brake booster and was wondering if anyone else has had to replace one. Would the booster from a 3rd Gen 4Runner work?

I have a silly KZJ95 question. I don’t get a chime when I leave my headlights on. Initially I shrugged my shoulders and thought it was a LC thing or the fact that it came originally with two batteries meant you could leave the lights on for hours to set up a campsite or something, but then it occurred to me that the Japanese are so careful with everything else, I’m wondering if it should have one and maybe it just isn’t working?
My 97 TZ has a light sensor that turns them on automatically at night or in dark conditions and they turn off when the ignition is turned off. The speed humps down here with pot holes backing them will make little plastic switch let go after sailing over 4 or 5. Simple push of the button to fix it, but the first time the dash lights and head lights flickered I thought there might be a serious electrical issue. Items that slide across the dash (missed SPRs, outgoing, etc) would also turn the lights on if they covered the light sensor. In the rain I have to turn them on from the stalk.

This is a very resourceful thread. Is the 90 Series Prado RX the same body style as the 97 3-Door Rav4? It sure looks like, Thanks!

Maintenance schedule for JDM Prado?

I’m importing a ‘98 Prado with 93k miles (RZJ95W), and I’d like to make sure I keep up with the maintenance. I’m not inclined to rely on the mechanic, but is there any (English) source I can use to know what to repair when? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom