2h into a fj75 chassis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am about to do the same, fj75 troop with 2h. So far figured out with help from here and fb that you need to cut out the mounts from hj75, cut off the 3f mounts and weld in the 2h mounts. Definitely 2h and 3f have different locations.

Probably shall hire a mobile pro for the mounts, I know what a coward..don't mind welding panels though.

I plan on attaching h55f to engine and cross member no.2 on the chassis (as far as I can see cross mem2 is the same for both), before pinpointing the exact location of 2h mounts on the chassis, with the mounts bolted to the 2h.

I have a running hj75, so glad to have a reference. The 2h sits level but slightly askew to center, front of block is 1-3 degrees to the left hand passenger side, you wouldn't notice without a hard look.
Want to get the drive shafts all lined up with the transfer, hence mount h55f to engine and chassis.

I read about a fella on fb having some troubles , think he had a 3f bell housing. 2h bell would be better I believe, which I have. Need to neaten up chassis and get it rolling first.

I am about to do the same, fj75 troop with 2h. So far figured out with help from here and fb that you need to cut out the mounts from hj75, cut off the 3f mounts and weld in the 2h mounts. Definitely 2h and 3f have different locations.

Probably shall hire a mobile pro for the mounts, I know what a coward..don't mind welding panels though.

I plan on attaching h55f to engine and cross member no.2 on the chassis (as far as I can see cross mem2 is the same for both), before pinpointing the exact location of 2h mounts on the chassis, with the mounts bolted to the 2h.

I have a running hj75, so glad to have a reference. The 2h sits level but slightly askew to center, front of block is 1-3 degrees to the left hand passenger side, you wouldn't notice without a hard look.
Want to get the drive shafts all lined up with the transfer, hence mount h55f to engine and chassis.

I read about a fella on fb having some troubles , think he had a 3f bell housing. 2h bell would be better I believe, which I have. Need to neaten up chassis and get it rolling first.
Yeah after a bit of research and measurements etc I've came to this conclusion too, I've got the running gear out of my old 60 which I've spent too much on to just leave now 😅

I have the same idea, cut off the mounts, bolt everything I can up and try find get the mounts as close to the originals and see how it looks and just go from there

Yeah after a bit of research and measurements etc I've came to this conclusion too, I've got the running gear out of my old 60 which I've spent too much on to just leave now 😅

I have the same idea, cut off the mounts, bolt everything I can up and try find get the mounts as close to the originals and see how it looks and just go from there
I believe there is some variety of 60 mounts. Duncan posted some pics of early and late 60's I think. Also some of the the rubber isolators are different for 3f, 2h, hj60 early late and hj75 I believe. The hj75 2h isolator mount is fatter.

I have found mackay rubber quite good.

It is a slow journey for me..

So found a bloke with a buggered HJ chassis and cut off the engine mounts, cut the FJ mounts off and roughly mocked up the positions on my chassis, will mock up the running gear over next couple days and tack in

20230513_144331.jpg

So I've tac'd the engine mounts in after installing rear crossmember and letting everything sit where it needs to, I'm not sure if it just me being critical or it's a factory thing but the engine sits about 2.5 degrees from centre rotating anti clockwise and the front of engine slopes downward to back of engineanout 4 degrees...maybe I have wrong engine mounted brackets? Can anyone confirm the engine not sitting flat? Maybe the engine mounted brackets are incorrect as they're from a late hj60?

I do know the set-up sits askew from front left to rear right.

Also if someone could get me some measurements from front of chassis mounted engine mount brackets to a good reference point for both sides It would be greatly appreciated 👍

cheers

16842043039076285624346938023339.jpg

20230516_103447.jpg

20230516_103346.jpg

16842046658152850242038410537871.jpg

Can't measure my hj75 right now, shall try to within next few days.
But sorry to say it does not look right. As far as I can recall the 2h sits level and only turns to a bit at front to passenger side, real subtle.

Is that a 2h bell housing? fj trans mount cross member?
I believe hj60 mounts are considerably different from hj75 too.

I know the 2h in hj75 sits a bit annoyingly close to the firewall, a little painful removing and replacing rocker cover, doable, but a little tight.

The rear needs to be higher and the tilt should not be there so your driver side needs to be higher.
Your position is the same dilemma as a guy on fb had, his drive shafts did not sit right either.

Wonder how your firewall well and gear stick holes shall line up? gear stick will feel odd at that angle I think.

(not criticising, really impressed how far you are getting)
have to get myself one of those angle finder thingies..wish I could be more helpful.

Yeah I completely agree, something is definitely not right, I don't recall that lean and slope in any of my cruisers!

Yeah 2h bell housing, fj crossmember, and yeah the engine mounted brackets are 60 so I'm hoping 75 ones are different when I can get hold of some...easy enough to reset the chassis mounted brackets if need be.

Whenever you get time to measure your mount positions mate, I'd be very grateful 👌🏼

I don't get much time to work on it so when I get a chance I need to move quick haha..makes for a long build 😅

This is from 86 hj75 troop, chassis needs a fair bit of work, my fj75 troop chassis is much better nick..take note the tabs of the hj75 mounts would help with correct angle on chassis. Don't know what 60 mounts look like but certainly different to fj75 mounts...hope it helps
1684216188698.png

1684216734771.png

1684216981332.png

1684217314105.png

This is from 86 hj75 troop, chassis needs a fair bit of work, my fj75 troop chassis is much better nick..take note the tabs of the hj75 mounts would help with correct angle on chassis. Don't know what 60 mounts look like but certainly different to fj75 mounts...hope it helps
View attachment 3324189
View attachment 3324190
View attachment 3324191
View attachment 3324192
The welded on mounts on the rails I have are now out of a 1986 hj75 that had a 2h so not worried about those mounts.

Cheers mate! I'll measure mine up once home again! 👌🏼

Looks like I may be 10mm to far back on both mounts, will order the LH engine mount bracket, as far as I can find the RH bracket is used on both hj60 and 75 and the LH has a specific listing for 75!

Next break I'll move these mounts forwards and hopefully with the "right" bracket it will sort this lean and tilt issue out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom