For Sale Most Recent 80 Series Prices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
There is a similar thread in both the 100 and 200 Classifieds Sections, makes sense here too. These trucks are changing hands at a rapid rate these days, having consolidated live market data is a nice thing for both buyers and sellers.

If you have recently bought or sold an 80 series and are comfortable sharing the details, post it here.

I see your point, but 30k still seems excessive for that truck. I mean if someone posted that for sale asking 31k on the classifieds or FB Marketplace, people would laugh and it'd sit for months. I've seen ones in similar condition/mileage struggle to sell for half that.
It’s all about finding the right crowd and marketing whatever you are selling correctly to that crowd. If you notice, the truck is freshly detailed, looks beautiful in all the pictures and the seller was personable in the comment section. The truck is also a really rare spec being a 3x locked 40th.

Facebook market place really isn’t the right place to sell anything for market price or a premium. It is however, a great place to unload stuff you don’t care for. The Land Cruiser marketplace page on fb has some really dumb trashy people commenting on listings

It really does. FB in general is aggravating where LC’s are concerned. No one does their due diligence, and people are generally pretty cocksure with no reason to be.
It’s all about finding the right crowd and marketing whatever you are selling correctly to that crowd. If you notice, the truck is freshly detailed, looks beautiful in all the pictures and the seller was personable in the comment section. The truck is also a really rare spec being a 3x locked 40th.

Facebook market place really isn’t the right place to sell anything for market price or a premium. It is however, a great place to unload stuff you don’t care for. The Land Cruiser marketplace page on fb has some really dumb trashy people commenting on listing

Add Scout to the list.
My experience with owning three FJ60’s, is that the 80 series is the next inline to increase in value. I never paid over $3500 for an FJ60, one I paid $2000, and now they are in a lot of movies and commercials and imho are bringing outrageous prices for high mileage examples. As more 80 series get beat up off-road and decommissioned, clean examples will become rare. That’s when prices will keep going skyward. The 80 is the best model with a good blend of comfort and ruggedness and the best looking. The 40’s are not for everyone but they are the OG and hence they are the most expensive. The 100 and 200’s are ifs and though nice and newer, will go through a devaluing cycle before they are considered an up and coming classic.

K292 no lockers, 144k miles, green 40th. Sold for $41,500 not including buyers premium. Good presentation and good paint takes you very far if you have the patience to list on bring a trailer.

I think you stole it unless there’s something much larger lurking beneath the beautiful exterior.

I don’t prefer your wheels; I’d replace with stock ones soonest.
Just put these wheels on it. I think they look way better. 👍

Man I'm so tired of people acting mileage doesn't matter on Toyotas. Yes, they last longer than most cars but 400k miles is 400k miles lol. So aggravating when trying to buy and I will say something about it and the seller is just like "its a Toyota it doesn't matter I rarely changed the oil and it has 400k miles"

K292 no lockers, 144k miles, green 40th. Sold for $41,500 not including buyers premium. Good presentation and good paint takes you very far if you have the patience to list on bring a trailer.

Wow it’s probably a really nice example. My 80 had 149k mi. And cost me an older Prius and $2000 cash, this year.

Man I'm so tired of people acting mileage doesn't matter on Toyotas. Yes, they last longer than most cars but 400k miles is 400k miles lol. So aggravating when trying to buy and I will say something about it and the seller is just like "its a Toyota it doesn't matter I rarely changed the oil and it has 400k miles"

I hear you. Even the low mileage exemplars can make me wary though, after 25 - 30 years there is a lot of rubber that may be aging out (gaskets, hoses, bushings, seals, even wiring) and defered maintenance can still be a toss up. Just my humble opinion, but I value solid maintenance over mileage. You could buy a 100K or 400K mileage rig, and either one could be a short time away from an engine rebuild or a host of other $$$ problems if it was not previously well cared for.

Last edited:
I hear you. Even the low mileage exemplars can make me wary though, after 25 - 30 years there is a lot of rubber that may be aging out (gaskets, hoses, bushings, seals, even wiring). Just my humble opinion, but I value solid maintenance over mileage. You could buy a 100K or 400K mileage rig, and either one could be a short time away from an engine rebuild or a host of other $$$ problems if it was not previously well cared for.

Honestly though people who are buying extreme low mile rigs don't give a s*** about hoses because they don't plan to drive it.

Honestly though people who are buying extreme low mile rigs don't give a s*** about hoses because they don't plan to drive it.
Maintenance is to most important thing. If it is running good, and has had fluids, hoses, and wear items kept up with, then that is good. I bought mine with the low miles on it mainly because of the interior condition and it was complete and the minor rust would be easily repairable. Plus it was the only 80 series Landcruiser listed for under $15k within the state. Still the 30 year old front axle needs grease and oil for starters, and I expect will need new seals and grease wipes before long. Lots of 30 year old parts just need to be changed.

Right after getting it home I decided to remove the positively antique radiator, and found the nipple that goes to the throttle warmer small hose was crumbling inside the hose. The plastic upper tank was pale brown with what looked like a mini cracking pattern. With the radiator out, I decided to change the upper and lower hoses and thermostat too. Then looking at the transmission cooler lines and heater hoses, well one thing led to another... It was 3 days before I put it all back together with all new rubber, and took the family for a ride.

I hear you. Even the low mileage exemplars can make me wary though, after 25 - 30 years there is a lot of rubber that may be aging out (gaskets, hoses, bushings, seals, even wiring). Just my humble opinion, but I value solid maintenance over mileage. You could buy a 100K or 400K mileage rig, and either one could be a short time away from an engine rebuild or a host of other $$$ problems if it was not previously well cared for.
The way I see it, any car will have to be taken care of to get to 300,000 miles. If it was maintained diligently and driven on the highway, it will be better than one with half the mileage that’s been driven into the ground for 150,000 miles. With the age of these vehicles, we’re basically buying the condition.

Last edited:
The way I see it, any car will have to be taken care of to get to 300,000 miles. If it was maintained diligently and driven on the highway, it will be better than one with half the mileage that’s been driven into the ground for 150,000 miles. With the age of these vehicles, we’re basically buying the condition.
I agree with this statement. 100% buying the vehicle for the condition it is in. Sometimes, depending on the environment the car is in, low miles from sitting can be detrimental too. I am mostly tracking problems caused by sitting around outdoors.

I got an ok deal, after being really patient, but it also comes with a lot of ongoing attention and work needed. Considering the only other 80 on this island was listed for $50k when I bought this one for about $5500 equivalent value in trade and cash, I thought it was a steal. The $50k guy has dropped to $30k this week, but still no sale.

470BA52C-1ECB-47DF-8FA0-00A1CF5F7044.png

My new to me 80 seems like it has been down or sitting around most of the last 12 or more years. It seems to have had mostly highway miles, until a previous owner ran it out of coolant going up our little mountain, most likely when a pesky heater hose went.

Then the wrecking yard that got it had the head rebuilt at a machine shop, and attempted to get it going again, but when it would not start they assumed their mechanic didn’t time the chain right and it sat another few years.I knew the old man who owned the wrecking yard then, and when I asked about it he it to me for $1200. A week later I went back to get it but it was gone.

About 5 years later I find out guy I know bought it from them cheap, but hasn’t done much with it. He found a problem with the ignition system, and got it going. He ran it of and on as he tried to iron out various problems, fuel pump, then a leaky injector, among other things; but he didn’t do a full baseline and never really drove it much since it wasn’t reliable.

I got it from him with the intake manifold upper plenum off, and a bundle of associated parts sitting in a ziploc. He was chasing a start and die condition without realizing the broken intake tube would cause it to not stay running. No air through the AFM can kinda screw up you fuel mixture...

I put the intake manifold back together, stuck on an extra flexible bit of intake hose over my cracked pieces from a dodge, and got it running. I have put about 1000 miles on it so far.

It feels really tight in the steering and suspension, and seems like it never spent much time Offroad at all. I’m more concerned with the issues that may arise from the years of sitting around in a humid salt laden tropical environment. Seals, hoses, electronic component failures, corrosion, etc.

I’ve seen a lot of failed corroded electronics, and mechanical issues on various vehicles over the years here. Once there was corrosion on ring gears so deep where the teeth were out of the gear oil, the diff was completely unusable. Destroyed by sitting too long in a covered shed.

I have some minor driveline noises, but nothing like a repetitive droning noise from bad gears. Thankfully it seems mine was moved around enough over the years of being down to keep oil on the metal in most critical places, and prevent corrosion. There is a little body corrosion to address, 3 little spots in the passenger rain gutter and one center of the roof. Thankfully no holes through. The side steps are pretty badly corroded though. They need to go and be replaced with some armor steps...

This 80 feels like it’s happy to be resurrected and roaming back roads and remote homesteads. Haven’t taken it to and remote beaches yet, but that’s on the list once corrosion prevention is done. May just spray the spots with some LPS2 for temporary protection and get the kids to the ocean well away from all the tourists.

17F25832-6C7B-4E91-993A-8E75126E192A.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey, just popped up local to me.

92 FJ80 with 230K miles. Straight and rust free, with new tires on 16" wheels.

Interior is good except driver's seat is trash on the bottom outside (cloth).

Jump on it for $6K if it runs drives good?

It's not triple locked.

I'll be driving from the Bay Area, Ca to Denver, CO tomorrow for a friend's wedding and I'm thinking about bee-boppin' around CO to check out some land cruisers. I found this one, I'm interested in purchasing but the price seems a smidge high. I'm thinking this is worth somewhere between $24k-$26K. What do yall think?

I'll be driving from the Bay Area, Ca to Denver, CO tomorrow for a friend's wedding and I'm thinking about bee-boppin' around CO to check out some land cruisers. I found this one, I'm interested in purchasing but the price seems a smidge high. I'm thinking this is worth somewhere between $24k-$26K. What do yall think?

Your offer sounds fair. Especially if you have stacks in hand. Dare I say, even generous due to it being a Lx. If you have cash in hand, I’d offer 22k and see where it goes.

If I didn’t have my truck and it looks as good in person as the pics, I’d be a buyer at 30K and a really happy buyer at 25k or less. All within “market” value (between private sales and BAT). Many wouldn’t pay that, especially for an LX and that color…

RNM

Thought this looked pretty clean too

Thinking about selling my built 1996 TRD Super Charged Cruiser that is triple locked. Has 150k on it with stacks of maintenance receipts. No rust. What do you all think I should ask?
Luke Side.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom