Chef version 2.0 aka "The Rock" 1976 FJ-40 LM7 Auto and Links (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tornadoalleycruiser

Erik TLCA #5303
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.com
The Rock? approx 1999 or 2000 some small person left this WWE wrestling figure in Alan's FJ-40 when it was parked at the grocery store. It has been a part of this truck since.

We shall start the journey of a rebirth of a 1976 FJ-40. Like a Phoenix from the ashes..
Not because I wanted another FJ-40.
I was pretty content with my FJ-45.
I was asked to finish this vehicle by my best friend, someone I learned about Land Cruisers and wrenching from. Someone I looked up to and traveled across the country with more times than I can remember. This vehicle was owned by Alan Loshbaugh aka @Chef. One of the last things he ever asked me to do is finish up his two beloved Land Cruisers. I chose the difficult one while he was still with us, his FJ-45. For those that have heard a little of that story, he was able to drive his dream truck FJ-45 once and sadly left us approx 5 days later.
This one was lingering in his garage in pieces waiting for it's turn. It had been wheeled all over the country and it was tired. The parts to put her together were mostly there but that never happened while it was under Chef's watch and the task was passed onto me.
Stick with me on the journey..
This is not a "resto-mod"
this is not a "restoration"
Purist look away, I will be tearing up a perfectly good truck and making it what I want so I can enjoy it and drive it.

The black truck in the picture is the one we will be taking on this journey. Chef originally had wanted it to be more of a restoration, factory style, mild lift, decent paint, factory soft top and soft doors. That all changed when I inherited it. I currently own two "resto-mods" that are too nice to wheel. And let's be honest, nobody ever said "wow that 2f is awesome". Yeah, i could have put a pretty paint job on it, made it really nice and had yet another pretty truck. NOPE.. I want to be able to drive and wheel this one.

Some basic stats to see if I qualify for the Hard Core section.. (my first time poster, long time listener/viewer in the Hard Core section)
basic parts list

LM7 5.3 2006 LS
4L60E
Split-case w 3-1 gears
80 full float rear trussed and linked
Extended wheelbase
possible front link setup (rear first)
Front axle (most likely 60 series widened with 80 knuckle balls and FROR keyed knuckles)
PRP suspension seats
Bud Built sides
Dakota Digital Gauges
Lokar Shifter
Metaltech Tube Fenders
Metaltech cage
4plus front bumper

Goal is a driver/wheeler with Toyota DNA that can keep up with traffic and decent parts availability.

Nothing in the truck yet, just a big ol pile of parts.

I will provide links and references to parts as they go on. Many vendors have and will be a part of this build.

Chef Disney W steve.jpg

arch.jpg

therock.jpg

Last edited:
So, I mentioned this vehicle was passed to me by my late friend, Alan.. I was emotionally exhausted after his passing and after cleaning out his shop. The estate was closing and parts/FJ40 storage in the shop was no longer an option. Luckily I have great friends and club members.. We managed to slap a few parts on her and get her running long enough to get on a trailer for some long term storage until I was able to get a "round-to-it" @2fpower towed her home and stashed her in his barn. @theSherpa and I moved parts and went thru all the leftovers, I had organized most of the contents of Alan's garage many times, and was storing stuff there for years. It was a quick and dirty process and many SM420's went to the scrap heap sadly along with 3spd bellhousings, alternators, parts from this truck i refused to re-use, the stock modified roll bar, old seats, etc. Put some air in the tires, a little fuel, a battery and she was ready to go.

A few more loads of parts to the storage unit and Kelly towed her off to her resting place.

chefs storage leaving.jpg

chefsgarage3.jpg

chefsgarage2.jpg

kellys barn2.jpg

Resting at kellys.jpg

So, I mentioned this vehicle was passed to me by my late friend, Alan.. I was emotionally exhausted after his passing and after cleaning out his shop. The estate was closing and parts/FJ40 storage in the shop was no longer an option. Luckily I have great friends and club members.. We managed to slap a few parts on her and get her running long enough to get on a trailer for some long term storage until I was able to get a "round-to-it" @2fpower towed her home and stashed her in his barn. @theSherpa and I moved parts and went thru all the leftovers, I had organized most of the contents of Alan's garage many times, and was storing stuff there for years. It was a quick and dirty process and many SM420's went to the scrap heap sadly along with 3spd bellhousings, alternators, parts from this truck i refused to re-use, the stock modified roll bar, old seats, etc. Put some air in the tires, a little fuel, a battery and she was ready to go.

A few more loads of parts to the storage unit and Kelly towed her off to her resting place.

View attachment 3284478

View attachment 3284479

View attachment 3284480

View attachment 3284481

View attachment 3284482

Watching this build

Many many happy hours in that shop and in that truck 👏🏻 … when our hair was darker and we had more of it! Love where you’re taking this, Erik!

Did this 40 get rolled ? why the different hood and aprons and no windshield ?

Most of the body was at the body shop. I grabbed parts that were lying around the garage and slapped em on the truck so we had some semblance of a truck, and to avoid moving loose body parts. If you notice in the back of the garage is yet another hood, etc. Alan and I had been hoarding parts from 40s that we used to get for free. Before cash for clunkers. It will get explained better soon. And it is easier to store parts on a vehicle. Short answer is no, it hasn't been rolled yet.

Bump !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom