Turbo dash light question HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't have an owners manual for my Japanese born HDJ81 and have a question about the green and red lights on the dash on either side of the word "turbo" in the center of the tachometer. Picture attached. While driving the truck the green light is lit, have never seen the red light lit except when the key is in the On position without the engine running. I assume green being lit is normal and indicates the turbo is OK- and if the red light is lit there is a problem- is this correct. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks!

Dashboard lights.jpg

Yes, the "amber" light as they call it in the FSM (looks red to me too) comes on at 15.4psi. The green comes on at 2psi. Both come on with ignition key on, then should both be off at idle.

hth's
gb

The amber comes on at 14.5psi/1bar, shows as about 14psi on my boost gauge.

Hi IanB

Which manual or where are you getting that info? It won't be the 1st time I have seen discrepancies between Toyota manuals. Attached is a pic from pg 131 of RM172E 1PZ/1HZ/1HD-T engine manual. For some reason in the TC section it has 1HZJ80 in the top right.

Thanks
gb

RM172E Turbo Pg 131.JPG

@Greg_B Info is from the forums and personal observation. The amber light definitely starts to flicker as the boost gauge passes the 14psi mark in my truck, and it has always been said on the forums "the safe max boost for the stock turbo is 14-15psi", seems weird that the "overboost" light would come on beyond that threshold, and exactly where that figure for safe boost comes from.

I feel my boost gauge is accurate as stock boost level showed to be 9-10psi as it should be.

I looked in my manual and find the same thing you did, I almost wondered if it could be a typo and the 4 and 5 got transposed, but the kPa figure translates to 15.3XXX so that doesn't appear to be the case.

@IanB it may well be a typo, or not. Suffice to say it's around there the engineers figured was the warning light should go on for the operator and the OP question is answered.

Like I mentioned, I've seen anomalies in the FSM's before as well.

gb

@Greg_B Info is from the forums and personal observation. The amber light definitely starts to flicker as the boost gauge passes the 14psi mark in my truck, and it has always been said on the forums "the safe max boost for the stock turbo is 14-15psi", seems weird that the "overboost" light would come on beyond that threshold, and exactly where that figure for safe boost comes from.

I feel my boost gauge is accurate as stock boost level showed to be 9-10psi as it should be.

I looked in my manual and find the same thing you did, I almost wondered if it could be a typo and the 4 and 5 got transposed, but the kPa figure translates to 15.3XXX so that doesn't appear to be the case.
IanB Does this mean your overboost orange is on ALL the time?? running at 21lb...

It just lets us know we have achieved max powah!! boy does she sound nice at higher boost....

Hi there, I have a 1996 80 series Landcruiser and I’m wondering why I don’t see a green or orange light on my one. The only times I see the lights is when the car turned off, keys in ACC and I see two orange lights. What does this mean? Thanks

Hi there, I have a 1996 80 series Landcruiser and I’m wondering why I don’t see a green or orange light on my one. The only times I see the lights is when the car turned off, keys in ACC and I see two orange lights. What does this mean? Thanks

The Green light was dropped after 93 update.

You should have a red/amber over boost warning light that is triggered at around 14-15psi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom