Fj40 disc brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look up 1976 fj40 rotors, they should have 6 bolt holes, 1984 style fj60 rotors have lugs pressed thru. Both should be vented and an upgrade from the solid non vented minitruck rotor. Will allow you to use larger calipers if you like.
Thanks, I’ll check those out.

You have the early (76-78) style disk brakes/hubs where the rotor bolts to the back of the hub with mini truck solid rotors. The land cruisers of that vintage would have had vented rotors with the same 6 mounting holes. In 79 the rotors changed to the 8 hole rotor held on by 2 bolts and the 6 wheel studs. The trunion bearing cap bolt size and bolt pattern on the knuckles also changed in 79 as well as the birfield length and locking hub length. I have the same early style disc brake conversion on my 74...
Many years ago, I swapped in Mini-truck knuckles for the larger steering bolts birfs. I opted not to use the mini-truck rotor/hubs and reused the LC hubs rotors and calipers.

You might want to confirm that you have the early style LC knuckles with smaller trunion bolt pattern. The Minitruck/Fj60 steering arms (w/ large bolt pattern) also have a larger taper for the tie rod ends that will not work with the FJ40 TREs

Last edited:
Easy fix if later arms

Tie Rod End Shim - $18.00 ea
Stainless steel shim allows use of 4x/5x Series Tie Rod Ends in 1980+ 6x/7x/8x Series & 1979-85 PU/4Runner Steering Arms. A great option for disc brake conversions and other adaptations. 17-4 Stainless Steel for corrosion resistance and longevity. Sold individually.
(Fits 1980-90 6x Series Steering Arms & E-1984 4x/5x Tie Rods)
Part# TRESHIM

Many years ago, I swapped in Mini-truck knuckles for the larger steering bolts birfs. I opted not to use the mini-truck rotor/hubs and reused the LC hubs rotors and calipers.

You might want to confirm that you have the early style LC knuckles with smaller trunion bolt pattern. The Minitruck/Fj60 steering arms (w/ large bolt pattern) also have a larger taper for the tie rod ends that will not work with the FJ40 TREs

Yes I figured that out the hard way. I’m actually looking for knuckle arms because the arms that came on the axle I bought had been cut and rewelded (terribly) at a different angle. (Someone liked to live on the edge I guess). And the knuckles from my 73 are the smaller version. There is no such thing as a simple project on these things. There’s always something.

I have a 79’ … rotor bolts to the hub after the wheel lugs are pressed in.
these from Cruiser were the replacement… Brake Rotor - Fits 9/1975 - 7/1980 4x/5x Series - https://cruiserteq.com/brake-rotor-fits-9-1975-7-1980-4x-5x-series/
going to get the backing plate eliminator next time I dig into the knuckle ... oh and the Caliper rebuild kit.

47B5380E-5E02-4A4D-A335-436B258A39A7.jpeg

792B38DB-2922-4FCD-97EE-AF7752C0C07E.jpeg

Last edited:
my lugs are pressed through the rotors on 83 fj60 parts. Deleted the two screw that fix rotors to hub.
Confirmed with cruiser outfitters it was not needed.

99BAD18C-7FA1-41DC-A61F-C5CBD2265DCB.jpeg

Thanks everyone for all the information and pics! This is exactly all the information I was looking for. This is my first knuckle swap and I was so confused by the different configurations per year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom