Fj40 disc brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought what I thought was a late model FJ40 axle and stole the outers to do a disc swap on my 73 FJ40. I’m confused by the rotors. When I search this style rotor the closest thing I can find are rotors for an 85 mini truck. My question is, what’s the best rout to go to find discs and calipers that fit. The axle I bought did not have calipers. I was wondering what everyone else has done with this style knuckle. (See pics) I was assuming there were some better vented rotors that would fit but then the calipers that go with the rotors need to fit the knuckle. Any advice would be appreciated.

9EA9453E-0360-409A-A5A8-C156DECA622C.jpeg

C8DE7924-7F2A-441F-A762-C5FC2CF7FC55.jpeg

5D1C67D7-5772-4CF8-A0FD-2DBCC179267C.jpeg

B6DF3905-2B5C-4E6A-96FB-462CFD5BF536.jpeg

C5265C48-CFA6-4850-82CD-36DA848490BA.jpeg

Google 4 runner calipers on fj40/60. Lots of good info. Did 4runner calipers, fj60 rotors, and 80 series non ABS master cylinder/ booster on friends truck. Throws you through the windshield.

Google 4 runner calipers on fj40/60. Lots of good info. Did 4runner calipers, fj60 rotors, and 80 series non ABS master cylinder/ booster on friends truck. Throws you through the windshield.
Awesome. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

I just did this. Donor parts were an 83 fj60 for my 74 fj40. Calipers were gone, rotors trashed. Was pricey but got both from CruiserOutfitters. (Fully loaded calipers and the slotted rotors) Got the booster and MC from city racer along with proportioning valve for rear drums.
Gotta be careful not to lock em now!

I just did this. Donor parts were an 83 fj60 for my 74 fj40. Calipers were gone, rotors trashed. Was pricey but got both from CruiserOutfitters. (Fully loaded calipers and the slotted rotors) Got the booster and MC from city racer along with proportioning valve for rear drums.

Drilled and slotted rotors are an extra level of maintenance when caked with Mud. I don’t do it. Solid rotors work well.

I have the City Racer booster also. Still need a MC though. Thanks for the info!

I bought slotted rotors from Red Line in CO and NAPA reman calipers for my 1978 FJ40.

Knuckles on mini truck are the same as the post 78 40 series and FJ60. Give away on the axle would be the front diff. Mini used smaller diffs then 40 and 60 series. There are ways to narrow down the year mini truck axle by the extra support under the long tube in the housing. Got longer as they got newer. From the start V8 conversions were common. Can't help but think that had something to do with the extra bracing on the housing. 22R wasn near as heavy as the f engines. Long inner axles on the mini truck is the same length as the 60 series.

Drilled and slotted rotors are an extra level of maintenance when caked with Mud. I don’t do it. Solid rotors work well.
Would you know where I can find solid rotors with the six bolt holes? All I can find are the rotors with the two bolt holes and the holes for the lugs to go through. My lugs go behind the rotor on the hub, not through the rotor. (If that makes sense)

Would you know where I can find solid rotors with the six bolt holes? All I can find are the rotors with the two bolt holes and the holes for the lugs to go through. My lugs go behind the rotor on the hub, not through the rotor. (If that makes sense)
NAPA.

Looks like you might have picked up a 40 axel with a mini truck disc conversion. This was pretty popular back in the day. These have the same "large pattern" knuckles as the FJ60s. IIRC the mini truck rotors are a press fit.

Looks like you might have picked up a 40 axel with a mini truck disc conversion. This was pretty popular back in the day. These have the same "large pattern" knuckles as the FJ60s. IIRC the mini truck rotors are a press fit.
My hubs have the lugs punched in them and the rotor sets on top and gets bolted in six spots. I can only find rotors that get the two bolts and the lugs go through the rotor and hub. I can’t find the correct rotor anywhere online.

4F96BF64-45E9-45C9-8981-13989DA88925.jpeg

BDC468D8-7282-439D-A1BA-13FC92E97DBC.jpeg

I recently ordered these rotors from Toyota (Rotors (x2) 4351260011) and these pads. We have a 1970 with a 1977 front axel with OEM disc brakes.

IMG_4235.JPEG

IMG_4230.JPEG

IMG_4233.JPEG

Look up 1976 fj40 rotors, they should have 6 bolt holes, 1984 style fj60 rotors have lugs pressed thru. Both should be vented and an upgrade from the solid non vented minitruck rotor. Will allow you to use larger calipers if you like.

You have the early (76-78) style disk brakes/hubs where the rotor bolts to the back of the hub with mini truck solid rotors. The land cruisers of that vintage would have had vented rotors with the same 6 mounting holes. In 79 the rotors changed to the 8 hole rotor held on by 2 bolts and the 6 wheel studs. The trunion bearing cap bolt size and bolt pattern on the knuckles also changed in 79 as well as the birfield length and locking hub length. I have the same early style disc brake conversion on my 74...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom