What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

windw 13.jpg
windw 14.jpg

windw 15.jpg

windw 16.jpg

Keep in mind, this is a Band-aid fix until a replacement window arrives from eBay.

Another part that doesn’t meet Toyota requirements? When this one came across QA’s desk they noted that the plating wasn’t smooth and continuous as required by the Toyota part standard so they ground off the Toyota name and threw it in the Aisin pile.

Just offering another perspective to those who say the parts are exactly the same, just in a different box. I don’t have any idea what requirements Toyota specifies in their part standard. I always assume that the manufacturers parts are Toyota rejects.

The only real way to know if two parts are the same is if they have the same part number and are sourced from a reputable supplier (to avoid counterfeits). Anything beyond that is guesswork, unless you have the part drawings and manufacturing instructions.

And just so I'm not accused of being a Toyota snob, not all the parts I buy come in a Toyota box.

View attachment 3279407
Not saying that isn’t the case, but! Have also heard they over produce and then sell as their own product. 🤷‍♂️ Either way my OEM Toyota timing chain cover has the same casting marks.

View attachment 3279720

Well this sucks! Not a break in. It seemed to just pop as I stopped at a stop sign shortly after leaving work. Nobody else around. All those stickers 😔 and the memories they held...

View attachment 3279721

Added some cardboard…

View attachment 3279722

Let’s paint it black!

View attachment 3279724
View attachment 3279725

Commandeered some aluminum via dumpster dive.

To be continued....
Hours and hours and hours of my summer youth spent at Ginnie. Haven’t been since the 90s

Denver area emissions testing? Anybody in Colorado do an emissions test lately? I have a 94 with the EGR deleted and the pair valve deleted. Do they do a visual inspection and actually know what is supposed to be there? Truck has catalytic converters and 02 sensors moved to the exhaust manifold pair valve ports? Thanks I’m advance!
Wes

Denver area emissions testing? Anybody in Colorado do an emissions test lately? I have a 94 with the EGR deleted and the pair valve deleted. Do they do a visual inspection and actually know what is supposed to be there? Truck has catalytic converters and 02 sensors moved to the exhaust manifold pair valve ports? Thanks I’m advance!
Wes

If there is a visual inspection you will fail. They do put the vehicle on a dyno. With EGR and PAIR defeated it may not pass the tail pipe emissions. Especially on deceleration.

If there is a visual inspection you will fail. They do put the vehicle on a dyno. With EGR and PAIR defeated it may not pass the tail pipe emissions. Especially on deceleration.
Yeah agreed you might not pass the smog test. Visually they don't look under the hood. They do run a mirror under the bottom to check for catalytic converters if that is where the vehicle has them.

You'll get an CEL exempt because you aren't OBD2

Yeah agreed you might not pass the smog test. Visually they don't look under the hood. They do run a mirror under the bottom to check for catalytic converters if that is where the vehicle has them.

You'll get an CEL exempt because you aren't OBD2
Perfect I will be taking it to Oregon DEQ emissions for a sniffer test to make sure it’s up to par. The visual was all I was worried about. Thanks

Sweet thanks for the input!

installed a Center Diff Lock switch on my 93. Had to gently move the dash forward enough to get in there and fish this placeholder plug up, and pop the blank out and put the switch in. First “mod” (though it is really just enabling a previously stock option) to this otherwise bone stock 93 with under 150k mi.

C3F40E35-B3CB-492F-B3A3-1BB1FF20EF31.jpeg

83CF6D79-9654-4032-8D4F-DF935F209552.jpeg

046FF58A-6AD0-4A86-8300-A7238357F0CD.jpeg

They most certainly DO inspect under the hood whenever I have brought my 80 in. Whether or not that individual technician will know what it's supposed to look like and what might be missing is probably hit or miss, but they have looked under my hood every time. They also call their buddies over if they're not sure what they're looking at, in my experience. Considering an 80 with all it's emissions equipment intact has a hard time passing the sniffer these days, all I can say is godspeed and good luck!

installed a Center Diff Lock switch on my 93. Had to gently move the dash forward enough to get in there and fish this placeholder plug up, and pop the blank out and put the switch in. First “mod” (though it is really just enabling a previously stock option) to this otherwise bone stock 93 with under 150k mi.

View attachment 3281077

View attachment 3281079

View attachment 3281080
Nicely done!

I'm waiting on my switch for the '97 dash.
Yeah, I could use a Hazard switch but there's something to be said about the switch with the actual sticker on it.
Every Rav4 that went into a junkyard I'd check but those are the first things to be pulled, it seems.
So, I ordered one online from a reputable Ebay lister with Toyota parts from Japan.

Should be here next week :)

2D289048-F41E-43A1-ABFF-3FE15BCB5BE2.jpeg
Got some numbers today, just wanted to see if straightening out my passenger radius arm and front end rebuild did anything. When I first bought the truck it was in an accident, It had a bunch of things bent on the front passenger. It always wanted to wander to the right, but I got used to it just driving and correcting its steering. Over time I’d just destroy tires if I left them on too long without rotating them. I was over it to say the least lol. so in the past few weeks I did my first full knuckle rebuild on an 80, straightened that front radius, fresh rotors/pads/seals front and back 5 new tires and wow what a difference. Now just waiting on a shop to quote me on all the bushings, because I don’t have a press I might just snap and buy one to do it myself lol.
But based off my numbers what else would I need to do besides some caster correction? The truck has a “2 inch” lift and I’ve never done anything to correct its caster.
Sorry for the rant. But thank you ih8mud

TLDR don’t put off basic maintenance even if you doubt your own abilities

View attachment 3281364 Got some numbers today, just wanted to see if straightening out my passenger radius arm and front end rebuild did anything. When I first bought the truck it was in an accident, It had a bunch of things bent on the front passenger. It always wanted to wander to the right, but I got used to it just driving and correcting its steering. Over time I’d just destroy tires if I left them on too long without rotating them. I was over it to say the least lol. so in the past few weeks I did my first full knuckle rebuild on an 80, straightened that front radius, fresh rotors/pads/seals front and back 5 new tires and wow what a difference. Now just waiting on a shop to quote me on all the bushings, because I don’t have a press I might just snap and buy one to do it myself lol.
But based off my numbers what else would I need to do besides some caster correction? The truck has a “2 inch” lift and I’ve never done anything to correct its caster.
Sorry for the rant. But thank you ih8mud

TLDR don’t put off basic maintenance even if you doubt your own abilities

IMHO you dont need a press for the bushings, just a decent vise, a hammer, a few big sockets/pieces of pipe and a saw. Makes light work of the whole operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom