Gx460 rear wheel bearing/hub questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I think my rear passenger side wheel bearing is bad. I’ve been looking to my go to spot for parts, but all they have as far as assembled bearing/hub is for the front. Are the front and rear hub assembly’s the same? I wouldn’t think so, but never know. If not, all I can find designated as rear for a reasonable price is the assembled bearing without the hub attached. How hard is it to (press in I’m assuming) the hub and bearing? Has anyone done one of these? Got a write up?

I think you do need a press. After an exhaustive ;) search best I could find is this FJ video. Might be the older 8" axle but it should be pretty much the same procedure.

Hey all, I think my rear passenger side wheel bearing is bad. I’ve been looking to my go to spot for parts, but all they have as far as assembled bearing/hub is for the front. Are the front and rear hub assembly’s the same? I wouldn’t think so, but never know. If not, all I can find designated as rear for a reasonable price is the assembled bearing without the hub attached. How hard is it to (press in I’m assuming) the hub and bearing? Has anyone done one of these? Got a write up?
Do a little searching, there's a dealership, I think in Arizona??? that has great pricing.
I think if you search for where to buy Multi-Terrian and Crawl Control you find the dealership.

Do a little searching, there's a dealership, I think in Arizona??? that has great pricing.
I think if you search for where to buy Multi-Terrian and Crawl Control you find the dealership.
Bell Lexus, Scottsdale, AZ.

How many miles? I dont know that I have ever come across someone needing to replace the rear wheel bearing on a 460 or a 470.

How many miles? I dont know that I have ever come across someone needing to replace the rear wheel bearing on a 460 or a 470.
120k. I’m not certain that’s what it is yet. I just noticed there is a grinding/scraping noise at low speed, and it is worse when turning, which makes me think wheel bearing. I’m going to Jack it up one night this week and see if there is play, and spin it to see if I can pinpoint the source of the sound. I originally thought it was the dust shield rubbing the rotor, but it looks fine, and it also wouldn’t explain why it is worse when turning.

Maybe you just need new brakes. The wear indicators make that kind of sound when they are just starting to rub.

Maybe one of the retainers for the parking brake shoes came off / apart. Loose parts in the “drum” portion of the brake disc.
That’s actually a good thought. I’ll remove the rotor and see if the shoes are good and in place. And with the rotor off I can spin the hub and know for sure if the bearing is good.

120k. I’m not certain that’s what it is yet. I just noticed there is a grinding/scraping noise at low speed, and it is worse when turning, which makes me think wheel bearing. I’m going to Jack it up one night this week and see if there is play, and spin it to see if I can pinpoint the source of the sound. I originally thought it was the dust shield rubbing the rotor, but it looks fine, and it also wouldn’t explain why it is worse when turning.
If it is worse during turning are you sure it isnt coming from the front? 120k seems pretty early for wheel bearings for the front. Extremely unlikely for rear at that mileage.

I had a grinding scraping sound coming from the front after replacing front wheel bearings on my 470. Turns out i never tightened the bolts all the way on passenger side and they were sliding out and grinding on hub when turning. Crazy part was it sounded like the driver side the whole time.

If it is worse during turning are you sure it isnt coming from the front? 120k seems pretty early for wheel bearings for the front. Extremely unlikely for rear at that mileage.

I had a grinding scraping sound coming from the front after replacing front wheel bearings on my 470. Turns out i never tightened the bolts all the way on passenger side and they were sliding out and grinding on hub when turning. Crazy part was it sounded like the driver side the whole time.
It is 100% coming from the rear passenger side. Going to try to pull the wheel and rotor this weekend and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Hopefully it's just the e-brake sticking or something came loose as fjc-man suggested. 🤞

If it ends up being the rear axle bearings you’ll save at least 100 bucks each from partsouq.com and a little more once you add in the o-rings, axle seals, circlips, spring washers, the sleeves the seals run on. Curious, is your ebrake a handbrake or foot actuated?

If it ends up being the rear axle bearings you’ll save at least 100 bucks each from partsouq.com and a little more once you add in the o-rings, axle seals, circlips, spring washers, the sleeves the seals run on. Curious, is your ebrake a handbrake or foot actuated?
Foot, and it’s super soft right now, which is giving me hope. Wanted to tear into it tonight, but no time.

Maybe one of the retainers for the parking brake shoes came off / apart. Loose parts in the “drum” portion of the brake disc.
For The WIN! It wound up not being the bearing. The hold down pin broke, and the hold down spring was stuck between the rotor and dust cover. The spring caps were all gone. The brake shoe was also allowed to sit forward due to lack of hold down and the edge of the shoe was cuttin a groove inside the drum part of the rotor, not the braking surface.

All in all, $23 parking brake hardware kit, and 2 hours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom