Radiator replacement options (ADVICE NEEDED) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally have gotten to the point where my original radiator needs to be replaced. After doing a solid amount of research I have yet to decide what I should replace it with. Currently I am stuck between going with an OEM denso, or going with an after market aluminum (overwhelming amount of options online). Gonna get this replacement done with the guys at my local shop (south coast auto clinic in Costa Mesa, CA) since I'm not comfortable doing it at home. Sam and Sal are great guys, strongly recommend if you're in the area.

First option: the denso... this is what Sam would order for me directly from the shop. I know I can't go wrong with it, I would let the guys take care of all the ordering for parts. Looked online and it seems like they're going for around $200. pretty straight forward, just not sure how much it would cost ordered by the shop.

Second option: Aluminum after market radiator... Way too many options online. Ranging from ~$200 to ~$800. If I went with one of these I would go with something in the lower price range. Would that be better than a denso? Another thing is, if I do buy an aluminum one online and bring it in to the shop, would I have to also buy all the other parts like foam, hoses, etc. that would go with the specific radiator I get? Preferably I would want something that is a 1 to 1 match of the OEM so I don't have to do any mods, and so I don't get charged a bunch for labor since it is not OEM (or fully built for that matter).

Just looking for advice on what you guys think I should go with (aluminum or OEM denso), what some good aluminum options are that won't break the bank, and specifically what the most effective option would be to get this job done with my local mechanic.

Cheers!

Finally have gotten to the point where my original radiator needs to be replaced. After doing a solid amount of research I have yet to decide what I should replace it with. Currently I am stuck between going with an OEM denso, or going with an after market aluminum (overwhelming amount of options online). Gonna get this replacement done with the guys at my local shop (south coast auto clinic in Costa Mesa, CA) since I'm not comfortable doing it at home. Sam and Sal are great guys, strongly recommend if you're in the area.

First option: the denso... this is what Sam would order for me directly from the shop. I know I can't go wrong with it, I would let the guys take care of all the ordering for parts. Looked online and it seems like they're going for around $200. pretty straight forward, just not sure how much it would cost ordered by the shop.

Second option: Aluminum after market radiator... Way too many options online. Ranging from ~$200 to ~$800. If I went with one of these I would go with something in the lower price range. Would that be better than a denso? Another thing is, if I do buy an aluminum one online and bring it in to the shop, would I have to also buy all the other parts like foam, hoses, etc. that would go with the specific radiator I get? Preferably I would want something that is a 1 to 1 match of the OEM so I don't have to do any mods, and so I don't get charged a bunch for labor since it is not OEM (or fully built for that matter).

Just looking for advice on what you guys think I should go with (aluminum or OEM denso), what some good aluminum options are that won't break the bank, and specifically what the most effective option would be to get this job done with my local mechanic.

Cheers!
You may need to rethink your assumptions on what is OEM.

The original radiator lasted this many years. It follows that purchasing a radiator from Toyota (TRAD not Denso) makes good sense if you are not planning to dump your 80 in the near future.

The original radiator lasted this many years. It follows that purchasing a radiator from Toyota (TRAD not Denso) makes good sense if you are not planning to dump your 80 in the near future.
gotcha, sorry for my lack of knowledge on radiator types and makes. From the info my mechanic gave me he mentioned Denso for what he would order. would you still consider that as a better option?

I bought the Mr. T OEM last March during the big sale from one of the Georgia Toyota dealerships, it was $306 to my door. Essentially nearly 1/2 off list. No way Toyota OEM is $200.
yea... my research was way off. I guess what I was trying to say is non-aluminum options. Having a hard time distinguishing options online.

The Denso radiators are a newer option in the market and not many people have them. I went with stock replacement in my 94 Landcruiser, it’s the cheaper brass. When I replace an again will prolly just get the Denso for some weight savings. There parts quality has always been on par with Toyota and you will find many of the parts are actually Denso sitting in a Toyota box.

The Denso radiators are a newer option in the market and not many people have them. I went with stock replacement in my 94 Landcruiser, it’s the cheaper brass. When I replace an again will prolly just get the Denso for some weight savings. There parts quality has always been on par with Toyota and you will find many of the parts are actually Denso sitting in a Toyota box.
sick! thank you

If you get a cheapie Chinese aluminum one, good luck w/ it fitting correctly. I grabbed one off of Amazon almost 6 years ago and the shroud didn’t bolt on properly. Also had to be shimmed on the side mounts and one stud was broken off out of the box. This is one place where OEM will be less hassle.

If you get a cheapie Chinese aluminum one, good luck w/ it fitting correctly. I grabbed one off of Amazon almost 6 years ago and the shroud didn’t bolt on properly. Also had to be shimmed on the side mounts and one stud was broken off out of the box. This is one place where OEM will be less hassle.
thanks for the tip!

gotcha, sorry for my lack of knowledge on radiator types and makes. From the info my mechanic gave me he mentioned Denso for what he would order. would you still consider that as a better option?
Go with the Aluminum from Toyota especially since you live where there are mountains and months of hot weather. If you don’t mind disposable Chinesium parts, many members down in Arizona like the TYC 1918. They claim it cools better than others of the same construction. I can’t comment on longevity of the TYC. For the radiator aficionado there’s Ron Davis radiators. Which ever radiator you choose aluminum is the preferred material.

Last edited:
This is not that hard. Don’t over think it. Go with a OEM Toyota radiator and don’t worry about it for another 15-20 years assuming you keep the truck for that long.

Last edited:
I'm all for OEM, but when I needed to replace the cheapo from the PO a couple years ago, I found that my final price to get one to AK was significantly higher for OEM vs Koyo - enough to convince myself that a well regarded non-OEM was okay. I bought the koyo from an actual dealer, not eBay nor Amazon - had great service, and it was a perfect fit without having to alter anything. Cooling has been great - the happy end of original spec. Naturally, can't say how it will perform in 20 years, but I'm not worried about it.

That said, go OEM if you can.

Cheers!
Some would say $800 'is' the lower price range. :) Anyway, I'm a half-banana mechanic at best, and recently swapped radiators. It's time-consuming but not particularly difficult. Check out OTRAMM's YouTube video on changing the main seal, where he takes the radiator out. Search @NLXTACY's posts for foam strips you can pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot. The money you'll pay a shop 'could' be used to upgrade your rad--or something else. If you choose to go that way. If you want to start wrenching yourself, this wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Hot tip, though: at least one of the large Toyota hoses is bigger at one end than the other. I used a Gates hose that was sized for the smaller pipe--and spent a very long time wondering why it was so hard to get the damned thing on the other pipe. Like I said: half-banana mechanic...

Some would say $800 'is' the lower price range. :) Anyway, I'm a half-banana mechanic at best, and recently swapped radiators. It's time-consuming but not particularly difficult. Check out OTRAMM's YouTube video on changing the main seal, where he takes the radiator out. Search @NLXTACY's posts for foam strips you can pick up at Lowe's or Home Depot. The money you'll pay a shop 'could' be used to upgrade your rad--or something else. If you choose to go that way. If you want to start wrenching yourself, this wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Hot tip, though: at least one of the large Toyota hoses is bigger at one end than the other. I used a Gates hose that was sized for the smaller pipe--and spent a very long time wondering why it was so hard to get the damned thing on the other pipe. Like I said: half-banana mechanic...
thanks for the input. ill check the video out and see if I can get working on it myself... Gonna wait for the quote I get from my guys.

OEM put in 2019.. $360 I recall from Tustin Toyota. If you buy from them online, parts are cheaper just as other online stores posted here. @KookxNutz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom