Gen V 5.3 L83 / 8L90e / Blackbox / 80series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dave, this is great news for those who want a simple and easy way to swap an LT into their cruiser. Just to let you know, it's exactly the same for those who have a 105 cruiser. So your kit should work on both chassis as they are identical for the most part.

do you know if the 6l80 and 8l90 have the same output? So can your Tcase adapter fit either transmission?

Ah too bad. I thought you'd have it running by now. The 45 will be fun for sure!

I kept the stock L83 fuel rail and it's non return. So the regulator is pre fuel-rail. I'm using this regulator

I think If I did a return-less fuel system it could act more like O.E?

Great news on the 105, thanks for sharing that. I'll have to do a bit of research on the 105 and see how close to drop in this would be for that platform.

Our adapter only will work with the 8L90 and 10L90. Everyone wants more gears right?

Dang thats awesome. I don't know why anyone would want to go through all the trouble to put a 6 speed in when you can do the 8/10.

Great news on the 105, thanks for sharing that. I'll have to do a bit of research on the 105 and see how close to drop in this would be for that platform.

Our adapter only will work with the 8L90 and 10L90. Everyone wants more gears right?

Yes! The nice thing on the 8 speed is your always in the power band and always have power.

Not sure how much power it can manage compared to a 6L80 but i'm sure for our applications, stock will be fine.

Dave, this is great news for those who want a simple and easy way to swap an LT into their cruiser. Just to let you know, it's exactly the same for those who have a 105 cruiser. So your kit should work on both chassis as they are identical for the most part.

do you know if the 6l80 and 8l90 have the same output? So can your Tcase adapter fit either transmission?

Ah too bad. I thought you'd have it running by now. The 45 will be fun for sure!

I kept the stock L83 fuel rail and it's non return. So the regulator is pre fuel-rail. I'm using this regulator

I think If I did a return-less fuel system it could act more like O.E?
That's basically what I have, mounted up high on the firewall. Mine also doesn't hold pressure after the pump is off and I have to either key it twice or change the prime time to refill the lines. I think having the regulator mounted as low as possible is what you want, that way gravity from the fuel in the rails pushes down one side and gravity feed from the tank pushes down the other and the system doesn't drain out when there is no pump pressure.

For the transmissions, I believe that 6L80's, 8L90's and the 10L80/90 all use a 32-spline output and the same 6-bolt transfer case mounting flange. They all use different computers though and the 10L computers are usually encrypted from the factory unless you find an early 2017 version. Holley does not have a solution to control any of these transmissions. Zero Gravity makes a stand alone transmission controller for the 6L80/90 and the 8L90.

I would be VERY careful about mixing and matching an engine and 10L transmission. There are many combinations that will bolt together but very few correct: engine harness, engine computer, transmission, transmission wiring harness and transmission controller that will function without a massive headache. If I did a 10L transmission (and having driven them I really want one) then I would get the full engine and transmission, wiring harness and both computers from a Pre-2020 GM truck. T-93 controllers (2020+) are no bueno, T-87a can be unlocked, T-87 are not locked, but are 8L90 only.

If you keep the drivetrain intact you may not need to unlock your transmission or even engine controller at all. The more modules you use, especially the body control module and the gauge cluster and you can fool the computers into thinking they are still in the "host" vehicle. That's not really an option for me in my FJ45 because I have no need for the BCM or the fancy gauges, so I would have to at least unlock the engine controller to remove the vehicle anti-theft programming (VATS).

That's basically what I have, mounted up high on the firewall. Mine also doesn't hold pressure after the pump is off and I have to either key it twice or change the prime time to refill the lines. I think having the regulator mounted as low as possible is what you want, that way gravity from the fuel in the rails pushes down one side and gravity feed from the tank pushes down the other and the system doesn't drain out when there is no pump pressure.

For the transmissions, I believe that 6L80's, 8L90's and the 10L80/90 all use a 32-spline output and the same 6-bolt transfer case mounting flange. They all use different computers though and the 10L computers are usually encrypted from the factory unless you find an early 2017 version. Holley does not have a solution to control any of these transmissions. Zero Gravity makes a stand alone transmission controller for the 6L80/90 and the 8L90.

I would be VERY careful about mixing and matching an engine and 10L transmission. There are many combinations that will bolt together but very few correct: engine harness, engine computer, transmission, transmission wiring harness and transmission controller that will function without a massive headache. If I did a 10L transmission (and having driven them I really want one) then I would get the full engine and transmission, wiring harness and both computers from a Pre-2020 GM truck. T-93 controllers (2020+) are no bueno, T-87a can be unlocked, T-87 are not locked, but are 8L90 only.

If you keep the drivetrain intact you may not need to unlock your transmission or even engine controller at all. The more modules you use, especially the body control module and the gauge cluster and you can fool the computers into thinking they are still in the "host" vehicle. That's not really an option for me in my FJ45 because I have no need for the BCM or the fancy gauges, so I would have to at least unlock the engine controller to remove the vehicle anti-theft programming (VATS).

Thanks for confirming. I wasn't sure if it was the same 32 spline or not.

The biggest trouble doing a 10L90 I would assume would be speed signal. these transmissions look for speed to operate. If you pulled the drivetrain from a 2019 Gm truck that has the 10 speed along with engine and harness to keep it all together. You'll face an issue with how to adapt the speed sensors to it. the cruisers 100 series and below all read off of the T-case. Unless you go aftermarket, I don't know of a way to get the speed reading correctly.

Would be nice to have the 8 speed though. I'd love better range out of it. It has a diesel that gave me 1200kms out of the two stock fuel tanks. Right now with the 6l80 I'm barely seeing 700km.

Dumb question but is the HF2AV TC just a variant and fine to use with your kit? Guessing so but have to ask.

The kit will require the following:

• * Early 80 (91-94) transfer case shifter base (retainer and shaft). If you have a 95-97 you will need to source this part. PN: 36344-60021
  • * Factory adapter/extension housing from A343 transmission 1995-1997 and 6 mounting bolts (this can be used from old drivetrain or source a used one). PN: 35015-60070
  • * GM LT Motor L83/ L84/ L86/ L87
  • * Factory GM 4WD 8 or 10 speed transmission (8L90 or 10L90)
  • * HF2A Transfer case

Dumb question but is the HF2AV TC just a variant and fine to use with your kit? Guessing so but have to ask.

• * Early 80 (91-94) transfer case shifter base (retainer and shaft). If you have a 95-97 you will need to source this part. PN: 36344-60021
  • * Factory adapter/extension housing from A343 transmission 1995-1997 and 6 mounting bolts (this can be used from old drivetrain or source a used one). PN: 35015-60070
  • * HF2A Transfer case

You can use either HF2A or HF2AV TC

Thanks for confirming. I wasn't sure if it was the same 32 spline or not.

The biggest trouble doing a 10L90 I would assume would be speed signal. these transmissions look for speed to operate. If you pulled the drivetrain from a 2019 Gm truck that has the 10 speed along with engine and harness to keep it all together. You'll face an issue with how to adapt the speed sensors to it. the cruisers 100 series and below all read off of the T-case. Unless you go aftermarket, I don't know of a way to get the speed reading correctly.

Would be nice to have the 8 speed though. I'd love better range out of it. It has a diesel that gave me 1200kms out of the two stock fuel tanks. Right now with the 6l80 I'm barely seeing 700km.
I'm not sure that's an issue. I don't have a 10L system to look at but some google searching showed they use the same input and output speed sensor setup as the 6L and 8L series. The transmission measures input and output speeds internally and sends that data over the CANBUS. The Landcruiser gauge cluster gets it's speed info from the transfer case and you would be adapting that to the back of the 6L/8L/10L using either a Marks, Advanced Adapters or the Torfab kit. The GM computer can be easily programmed for the swap tire size and gear ratio so the speeds match but that's only important for the transmission shift scheduling that works off a vehicle speed table. You might run into some issues if you were trying to keep as many of the stock modules as possible because the transfer case is part of the traction control system in higher spec trucks...but then non of this is really easy!

I'm not sure that's an issue. I don't have a 10L system to look at but some google searching showed they use the same input and output speed sensor setup as the 6L and 8L series. The transmission measures input and output speeds internally and sends that data over the CANBUS. The Landcruiser gauge cluster gets it's speed info from the transfer case and you would be adapting that to the back of the 6L/8L/10L using either a Marks, Advanced Adapters or the Torfab kit. The GM computer can be easily programmed for the swap tire size and gear ratio so the speeds match but that's only important for the transmission shift scheduling that works off a vehicle speed table. You might run into some issues if you were trying to keep as many of the stock modules as possible because the transfer case is part of the traction control system in higher spec trucks...but then non of this is really easy!

I stand corrected. I mixed it with the 1VD-FTV swap.

I'll probably do this swap in my 105. I just want to see how involved the wiring will be to do it

Thanks for the feedback

Dave from Torfab. We have an adapter launching for the GenV to 80 series Transfer case. Price will be $2630 with free shipping.

We will be offering this as a kit which will allow you to bolt in a 6.2/5.3L LT motor into an 80 series in the factory engine mount location without any modifications to the drivelines or need for welding on the Toyota frame. With our adapter kit you keep the engine/trans into the stock frame brackets and stock t-case crossmember, and also allows the stock drivelines to be used. This simplifies your engine placement and location mounting with out needing to worry about drivelines and make it a bolt in process.

The kit will include:

• * OEM Toyota Engine Mounts
  • * Engine mount adapter brackets (mounts to the LT motor and allows Toyota 80 series engine mounts to bolt in factory frame location)
  • * Torfab Adapter for the GM Trans to HF2A transfer case
  • * Transmission shifter linkage (this will adapt the 8/10 speed transmission to your stock 80 Transmission Shift Lever (P-R-N-D-2-L)
  • * Transfer case shifter adapter bracket. (This bracket allows you to mount the early 80 transfer shift lever to the GM transmission in the stock location without modifying the body.)

• * HF2A Transfer case
View attachment 3274866View attachment 3274870
I've been contemplating this product since March. The LT V8's are awesome, and no doubt would significantly improve both power and fuel economy in my 97 1FZFE powered 80.

All of this got me thinking though; per chance, could it be feasible to use parts/R&D from the LT V8 kit to stuff an LM2 3.0l inline 6 Duramax under the bonnet of an 80? Something about an inline 6 diesel in a cruiser is just peanut butter and jelly to me.

I'm not 100% sure if our adapter will work with that combo, however I do know that HP Tuners just released support for the E90 ECM that controls the engine. The only issue is that the E90 ECM is constantly looking for the BCM and needs CAN inputs for every function, which makes it a really finicky computer for swaps. I have 2 of these engines on my shelf, but still haven't installed one because of that

All of this got me thinking though; per chance, could it be feasible to use parts/R&D from the LT V8 kit to stuff an LM2 3.0l inline 6 Duramax under the bonnet of an 80? Something about an inline 6 diesel in a cruiser is just peanut butter and jelly to me.

The passenger side of that engine is massive. Also, the alternator is very low, and it would probably hit the power steering box. I think the vacuum pump, if that is what is below the alternator, would cause issues as well. I don't see it fitting without considerable effort.

1697588637010.png

The passenger side of that engine is massive. Also, the alternator is very low, and it would probably hit the power steering box. I think the vacuum pump, if that is what is below the alternator, would cause issues as well. I don't see it fitting without considerable effort.

View attachment 3458871
You make an excellent point RE the alternator position. Lower definitely isn't better when it would be going into an off-road vehicle. I know from helping a friend swap out the turbo in his 1HD-T there's room for a decent amount of componentry on the passenger side. With my 80 being a 97 in Canada, AFAIK the emissions components could "fall-off" without violating any legal requirements. Presumably that would free up space and reduce heat loading.

I don't have the expertise to be the Guinea pig myself, but I certainly look forward to seeing what people come up with.

Regarding the Dakota Digital GSS-3000.

Does it have enough capacity to drive the incandescent PRND dash indicator lamps, or did you have to switch to LED bulbs?

Thanks

Regarding the Dakota Digital GSS-3000.

Does it have enough capacity to drive the incandescent PRND dash indicator lamps, or did you have to switch to LED bulbs?

Thanks
Directions say any LED or low power incandescent, so the shifter bulbs should be fine. It's up to a .2A output which is a lot for small lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom