Rust Assessment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

marshcat

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking at an '86 FJ60 that runs and drives but has been garaged for many years. Tires look like a model last manufactured in the late 90s. Seller sent me some photos of the rusty spots. Just doing the math, even with a lowball offer seems like it might be a bad buy. Thousands to fix the rust, a couple thousand for an OME suspension, another few thousand to get the rig baselined. And at that point I could have just bought a better rig. What do you all think?

00i0i_6A7jXKMRg72_1320MM_600x450.jpg

00404_1XDwIho8ecr_1320MM_600x450.jpg

01010_bkLfuRhpUWN_1320MM_600x450.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I can't help you much, but for what it's worth the engine bay and undercarriage look remarkably clean for a northeast car. Kind of strange how clean the frame is and yet it still rusted out at the wheel wells.

If rust is the main concern check the rain gutters (under the chrome trim) and door jambs too.

Good luck!

Dont forget tires....but yea it looks crazy clean overall....I think Toyota just put salt in with the paint right from the factory lol

That seems like a truck you drive as-is, or learn (or just do) the body work and maybe paint yourself someday....or its gotta be cheaper to buy something that you dont have to paint.

The frame appears shiny, as if it has been treated and painted. Being in Mass., I wouldn't touch that until I saw it on a lift and banged on the frame with a hammer. If the seller won't let you do that, move on.

I'm tempted to offer $5000 or $6000 and show up with a trailer. But like I said in the original post, really easy for $6000 to become $12,000 with just rust repair, tires, suspension, and baselining.

I'm tempted to offer $5000 or $6000 and show up with a trailer. But like I said in the original post, really easy for $6000 to become $12,000 with just rust repair, tires, suspension, and baselining.

Maybe I'm doing this wrong, but $12K all in for a well running 60 is a bargain. A well sorted one will be $20K+ and still require time and money. Ask me how I know this lol.

Assuming the frame is good and there isn't much other significant rust on the truck, you might be able to address the worst of what you've posted above by replacing the fenders. Fenders are a bolt-on item that you could swap out yourself. I'm pretty sure aftermarket fenders are available new.

There aren't many shortcuts for the suspension, so that is a legit expense that you should be prepared for - but as far as baselining goes: that's mostly tune-up stuff that you'll want to learn to do anyway and is well within the reach of any moderately handy Cruiser owner. If your plan is to outsource everything to a mechanic, then yes, you'll spend some money. If you do it yourself, you'll still spend money, but less money.

Tires are wear item that you'll have to replace eventually no matter what vehicle you buy. :meh:

This truck looks pretty good to me. If the frame is shot, then yes, that's quite a bit of work to get another. If you want to wait for a better truck, be prepared to pay more--by alot. Garage-kept 60s are rare and even more rare to find one with no rust, no work needed, etc. etc.... These are not coming off the showroom floor afterall. Its been over 40 years since the first 60s were sold. How well do most people hold up over 40 years? You can't compare the performance and looks of someone in their prime to someone in middle age or older. Either way, if you buy a 60, you will pay to fix one up or pay the person who has already fixed one up.

question, how much of the work can you do? if very minimal, then yes, prepare to have your wallet raped. the more you can do, the less $s being pulled out. but, it is a time suck. ignore the tires n suspension, as was said earlier, those are consumable parts. your end game plan plays a part also as to how much you ultimately spend.
that's reasonably good looking specimen by the way

question, how much of the work can you do? if very minimal, then yes, prepare to have your wallet raped. the more you can do, the less $s being pulled out. but, it is a time suck. ignore the tires n suspension, as was said earlier, those are consumable parts. your end game plan plays a part also as to how much you ultimately spend.
that's reasonably good looking specimen by the way
I'm pretty handy with mechanical work. Have DIYed almost everything on my 100-series and Porsche Boxster. I'm truly awful at body work though.

hey @marshcat , peruse through various threads in here that have bodywork going on. most guys start with the small areas that needed attention and then worked up to the bigger $h!t. yeah, i know, some dudes can start with the passenger side of a radiator bulkhead n build the rest of the truck from that. if you can get your paws on a copy of "high performance metal fabricating" by micheal fournier, do so. it has helped me immensely in my sojourn of body repair. don't be askeerd of it, it can't out think you

Looks like a great rig from here!

hey @marshcat , peruse through various threads in here that have bodywork going on. most guys start with the small areas that needed attention and then worked up to the bigger $h!t. yeah, i know, some dudes can start with the passenger side of a radiator bulkhead n build the rest of the truck from that. if you can get your paws on a copy of "high performance metal fabricating" by micheal fournier, do so. it has helped me immensely in my sojourn of body repair. don't be askeerd of it, it can't out think you
forgot to mention last night, that volume is from HP Books. also, it concentrates on the forming/fabricating side of the body work equation

I think you can do better than that for 15K, but you will have to be patient.

What was the offer? What were they asking? I’d be all over that for the $5-6k you stated but if I were the seller I’d be $10-12k or more, without knowing more or seeing it in person.
Maybe I’m not looking at the pics hard enough but that one looks pretty decent to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom