Towing bass boat with 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 2008 LX570 a while back (posted about it in the 200 series forum). Had a transmission issue and the dealer bought it back from me rather than repairing it under warranty. When I bought the LX I was really in the market for a 100 series. A couple of my buddies have 100 series rigs but they don't really tow with them. I'll be towing a 21' bass boat (fully loaded around 4000 lbs) regularly. I'm aware that the 06-07 vvti engines/5 speed trannies are probably the best for towing but how bad are the others? I've came across a couple of really clean 04-05 trucks but would like some real world opinions of how it would do. Here in East Tennessee, we have hills everywhere so it'll be up and down while driving. Mostly 2 lane highways but interstate travel isn't unusual. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'll be towing a 21' bass boat (fully loaded around 4000 lbs) regularly

We have an 18' ski boat, all up on tandem axle trailer around 1,600kgs (around 3,500lbs). It tows beautifully with non VVTi, 5 speed auto, LX470. Sure up hills it isn't as effortless as the LX570, however I've never really felt it needed more power.

We also have a ~2,000kgs camper trailer (~4,400lbs), again you feel it a bit more, again not needing extra power.

FYI no Australian spec LX470s had VVTi.

It will definitely tow it smoothly, but expect single-digit mpgs and some strain if you encounter any large, long hills. I regularly tow a 20' Boston Whaler Outrage 20 (a hair over 4klbs loaded), and it's fine. Our shorter wheelbase makes it much more maneuverable in ramp lots, etc., but negatively effects braking power. In all, I wouldn't hesitate to tow your boat with the 100 series, but yes, aim for the 2005-2007.

PXL_20220530_194508013.jpg

PXL_20220530_142852882.jpg

I towed a C10 from Arkansas to Colorado with my 99 and it was fine. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it worked. I was able to keep it around 60 mph and could go faster but was trying to keep the RPM's as low as I could. I bought a scan gauge to monitor trans temps as I was really worried about burning up the tranny. As long as I kept the OD off, the temps stayed around 190 degrees. But the moment I turned OD on, it would still pull fine but the temps would start creeping up into the 200's.

As you may or may not know, I-70 West through Kansas is a steady 1 - 2 degree incline and usually pretty windy. I'm just stating that to give you an idea of the conditions I was towing in. As others have stated, gas mileage was horrible, around 7 mph as I recall.

20180329_152652.jpg

I towed a 21’ Sea Hunt with my 99. It tows okay-ish, not great. Anything more than a local tow to the ramp we opt for the wife’s Yukon XL with the 6.2, longer wheelbase, better brakes, etc. Previously had a Grand Cherokee with 3.6 and 8 speed and it towed the same boat much better as well. We’re also in Charleston and hills are non-existent

ADA681DC-CBF2-464C-82E3-6EF3FFF97532.jpeg

Last edited:
I tow a 4k ski boat/trailer combo at elevation with a 99. In a totally different league was my Ecoboost f150 - more stable at highway speeds and held 65mph without blinking and eye, but the 100 does great on 30 minute trips and it does a lot of other things better than the Ford.

I do wish I had both sometimes

I pull my 22' Bayliner all summer long with my '04. 5k-5.5k lbs all loaded up. Only go about 10 miles to the ramp. Flat it's fine, hills are slow and braking you need to plan ahead. Highway speeds you can watch the gas gauge drop and isn't real fun. BUT, it's perfect for backing it in and pulling it out. Short wheelbase makes it a breeze to maneuver around and the all drive wheel drive can't be beat on the slick wet ramps. I love it.

So in short, if I had to tow it farther, I'd probably look for something bigger. But for in town towing, works perfect for me.

76720768_10212326575278415_5820115942360743936_n.jpg

Occasionally I'll pull one of my builder's enclosed trailers. I also own a little 8' Home Depot utility trailer, which I'll be using today. I've also towed a hybrid camper. None of them were bad, it's just very clearly not an amazing tow vehicle.

I have to agree with Mongoose. In chronological order, I’ve had and towed everything from gooseneck horse trailers to boats from 15 to 30 feet with a 2002 7.3 F250, 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7, 2013 F150 5.0, another 2002 7.3 F250, 2006 6.0 F250, 2017 GMC 1500 5.3, 2010 F250 5.4, 2015 Grand Cherokee 3.6, Yukon XL 6.2, and finally my 1999 LX470.

Out of those 10 vehicles, my LX470 would probably be my 9th pick for which to tow anything with. The 5.4 F250 and my LX are the two most anemic vehicles I’ve had. And the 5.4 would be 10 only because it is far to weak for that much truck. I also feel the LX has a high center of gravity and is very sensitive to rutting and changes to cross slopes on the road. Kudos to the LX on 300k miles with no major issues, but a good tow vehicle it is not. Okay at best

I have to agree with Mongoose. In chronological order, I’ve had and towed everything from gooseneck horse trailers to boats from 15 to 30 feet with a 2002 7.3 F250, 2007 Jeep Commander 4.7, 2013 F150 5.0, another 2002 7.3 F250, 2006 6.0 F250, 2017 GMC 1500 5.3, 2010 F250 5.4, 2015 Grand Cherokee 3.6, Yukon XL 6.2, and finally my 1999 LX470.

Out of those 10 vehicles, my LX470 would probably be my 9th pick for which to tow anything with. The 5.4 F250 and my LX are the two most anemic vehicles I’ve had. And the 5.4 would be 10 only because it is far to weak for that much truck. I also feel the LX has a high center of gravity and is very sensitive to rutting and changes to cross slopes on the road. Kudos to the LX on 300k miles with no major issues, but a good tow vehicle it is not. Okay at best
I hope the 6.0 was #1. People love to bash that lump but I love it.

I hope the 6.0 was #1. People love to bash that lump but I love it.
They get a lot of hate, but the built 6.0 my parents just got rid of was a rocket ship.

I'm so thrilled they picked up a 6.7 though. No more s***ty 6.0 in the driveway 😋

Thanks for all the replies. Kinda on the fence about this. I really want a 100 series but the 200 is so much more capable. Whatever I get will need to be my daily and tow vehicle. I could just get a Tundra and be done with it but I've always wanted a LC.

Bass boats are pretty light and much more aerodynamic than most boats so I would feel good about it.

Just towed a bronco 3 hours and created a thread about it. You'll be fine. Airbags are the move for sure.

img_4382-jpg.3257428

If I had to tow a lot and long distances I’d look for a Tundra 5.7 if you want to stick with Toyota

I did the Ike Gauntlet test with my truck over the weekend. It's TFL's (Youtube channel) metric by which they test tow vehicles up the stretch of I-70 to the Johnson Tunnel at 11,000 ft elevation. It's a pretty tough test but really makes trucks work hard.

I scored a 8:28 which is 28 seconds off a perfect score of 8:00. My trailer was loaded at 6,900lbs. TFL tested a 2015 LX570 with a 5600 lbs trailer and it scored a 7:43 (better than "perfect" due to very good acceleration at the beginning of the test and they stopped the timer early at the top). I bet with the loads equalized my 100 could match the LX570. Watching the video, the RPM and speed ranges are about the same between the two and the 5.7L actually downshifts to 2nd more often than my 4.7L did, maybe it would even struggle if it had the extra 1300lbs of my trailer.

Anyway not a bad showing for my old 100 and it shows that a supercharged 100 is damn near as good as a 200, at least when it comes to going up a mountain. I can only have 1 truck in my life and IMO there's nothing better. My avatar is me climbing Hell's Gate in Moab last year on the same trip I towed my 80 series Land Cruiser over the Continental Divide. Not many trucks can do both on the same weekend. Admittedly a 200 could do it all stock :D

I agree, my 100 does follow ruts on the interstate and is very sensitive to tongue weight. I use a Weigh Safe hitch to load my trailer perfect every time. You can use my discount code EVJimmy for 15% off at www.weigh-safe.com

cAeD34N.jpg

Last edited:
I've done probably 20 trips between Georgia and Michigan towing my camping trailer which weighs in the neighborhood of ~ 2500# across all of the grades you're talking about with both a 2010 Tundra Crewmax (lifted) and my current '06 100 (with armor). Obviously its hard to compare between the two but as far as comfort and power goes, the Tundra didn't even notice anything was back there. Tons of power. Surprisingly enough, the 100 does it better than I expected though. Speed does drop down to about 60 but I honestly don't think the truck is working too hard. Remainder of the time from stop lights and flat towing I'd say it pretty comparable.

In my current position, we're looking at getting a new camper that'll weigh around 4000# and I'm already looking through the 200 classifieds.

You didn't ask but in reference to getting a Tundra over a 200 for towing I would hesitate. After driving Cruisers for almost 2 decades now the Tundra almost felt flimsy and "less tankish" I guess? Hard to describe but my point is I would do the 200 over a Tundra now any day.

I did the Ike Gauntlet test with my truck over the weekend. It's TFL's (Youtube channel) metric by which they test tow vehicles up the stretch of I-70 to the Johnson Tunnel at 11,000 ft elevation. It's a pretty tough test but really makes trucks work hard.

I scored a 8:28 which is 28 seconds off a perfect score of 8:00. My trailer was loaded at 6,900lbs. TFL tested a 2015 LX570 with a 5600 lbs trailer and it scored a 7:43 (better than "perfect" due to very good acceleration at the beginning of the test and they stopped the timer early at the top). I bet with the loads equalized my 100 could match the LX570. Watching the video, the RPM and speed ranges are about the same between the two and the 5.7L actually downshifts to 2nd more often than my 4.7L did, maybe it would even struggle if it had the extra 1300lbs of my trailer.

Anyway not a bad showing for my old 100 and it shows that a supercharged 100 is damn near as good as a 200, at least when it comes to going up a mountain. I can only have 1 truck in my life and IMO there's nothing better. My avatar is me climbing Hell's Gate in Moab last year on the same trip I towed my 80 series Land Cruiser over the Continental Divide. Not many trucks can do both on the same weekend. Admittedly a 200 could do it all stock :D

I agree, my 100 does follow ruts on the interstate and is very sensitive to tongue weight. I use a Weigh Safe hitch to load my trailer perfect every time. You can use my discount code EVJimmy for 15% off at www.weigh-safe.com

cAeD34N.jpg

I'm super impressed that your temps stayed in the 190s for the test. I suppose ambient temp being very low helped, but I would have expected to kiss 200 in mine doing the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom