Steering Knuckle Alignment Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A) 167.8 - B) 165 = total adjusting shim thickness of 2.8 mm.

Isn’t this too much? When I subtract the lower bearing shim thickness the upper thickness will be something like 2.4 mm. That’s almost every shim in the rebuild kit. Races are seated. Preload is 5 lbs. What am I missing?

When I took it apart 2 .5 mm shims in top and a .2 mm shim on the bottom. Took it apart and redid it…got the same measurement.
1BB156F7-1AE1-4BBB-982A-CDE2F1E9D191.jpeg

maybe its the photo but the caliper does not look like its sitting at the top? You followed the procedure to the T? Marking compound on the center of axle pin?

maybe its the photo but the caliper does not look like its sitting at the top? You followed the procedure to the T? Marking compound on the center of axle pin?
The alignment tool has indents at either end from which the caliper is supposed to measure.

The marking compound would be used to find the lower shim requirements but I know the total is too much even after the lower shim thickness is subtracted from the difference of 167.8-165….because….this is the second time I’ve measured. I found both upper and lower requirements the first time I measured. The total is the same to within a 10th of a mm.

For the record, I’m using the factory alignment tool, 09634-60012. Following instructions as listed in the repair manual.

C8CAFA1E-FBAB-408A-9866-40818B86CB4A.jpeg

75AB5919-9D0D-476C-9397-DDB273C43C01.jpeg

C8948DF3-3B2F-43FE-97B6-3F7261D2F9AE.jpeg

65779D8E-9851-43FD-9DDB-A75A4F8271DB.jpeg

oops

maybe I'm confused reading the first post
you say you took it apart with lots of shims, 2.5
your new measurement is 2.4

maybe that is how this axle is setup???

maybe I'm confused reading the first post
you say you took it apart with lots of shims, 2.5
your new measurement is 2.4

maybe that is how this axle is setup???
When I disassembled, there were 2 shims on top, 1 on bottom.

The new measurement being 2.4 (top shim thickness) from a 2.8 total shim thickness would mean 4 .5mm and 2 .2mm shims on top and 2 .2mm shims on bottom. Doesn’t make any sense. That’s WAY more than I took off and more than what was included in the rebuild kit.

I’m going to work the passenger side and see what I come up with. See if this error is on both sides or just one, that may help me identify where the problem may be.

Koyo or timkin bearings? Reason I ask I had issues with timkin bearings in the past setting up knuckles.

Plot twist. I measured the shims that came off the knuckle when I disassembled… Guess what? There were 2 1mm on top and 1 .5mm on the bottom. The rebuild kit comes with .5mm and .2mm shims.

These shim sizes from the shims I pulled off the knuckle fit the readings I’ve been getting.

Makes me wonder if the 084-101b rebuild kit I ordered from SOR had different shim sizes than the 084-101c kit they sent me. Anyone have information on this?

I usually order an extra set of shims every time I rebuild my knuckles, tomorrow when I get back from skiing I'll try to dig up my measurements from my last rebuild. I'm thinking one set is usually not quite enough on mine. Every cruiser is different.

Also, shims are a different size…the post holes are too far apart. Really makes me question whether or not SOR sent me a compatible rebuild kit. Old shim on bottom.

14786EF6-BE43-44F8-80FA-EDEBE38ED7B6.jpeg

Also, shims are a different size…the post holes are too far apart. Really makes me question whether or not SOR sent me a compatible rebuild kit. Old shim on bottom.

View attachment 3275333
That's common, most kits contain both large and small pattern shims.

I might have a set of small ones stashed somewhere that I won't need, let me look around this weekend.

That's common, most kits contain both large and small pattern shims.

I might have a set of small ones stashed somewhere that I won't need, let me look around this weekend.
All same size, just different thicknesses. Are 80-90 knuckle stud patterns larger?
426FA67C-615C-4C8F-9CFB-34DCD4E6D080.jpeg

There is a good link in the FAQ that discusses the differences between the years and sizes of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom