Rancho RS9000 shocks with OME 2.5 lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,

I have searched the posts and not really found the answer I am looking for. I just bought my wife a 1997 Lexus LX450 and it had Rancho RS9000's on it. I am going to replace the Rancho shocks with OE Lexus shocks (Dont ask, wife just wants Lexus shocks). My question....

Will the Rancho RS9000's be long enoght to run on my Landcruiser with 2.5 Springs? I know they are shorter than the OME N73 shocks but I have seen pics of people running the RS9000 with the 2.5 springs. I have some crap ProComp shocks on the 80 now.

The Ranchos are RS9207, front, and 9208 on the back.

Tim

They may be, but nobody here seems to run them due to their poor performance. For your wife's shocks, CDan (CruiserDan) is the man..unless you can talk her into Bilsteins.

I had the adjustable 9000's with stock coils and then OME stock height coils. I called Rancho about these shocks and a 2.5" lift - NO per Rancho. As the OME stock height really is about 3/4' lift, they said that was ok but not a lift.

If you really want a lift, do not use the Rancho's. Go OME and use their shocks.

All not true.

I have been running them for over three years I had them put on when I got the lift. I simply wanted the best plug-in shock that I could get and these seamed to be I wanted a adjustable shock with remote reservoir the 9000s were the best my 4x4 shop could find. What I had him do is get the specs from OME on the shock that they were including with the 2.5” lift and match that in a Rancho 9000. That is what he did. They perform good and unlike others I have a little adjustability. I could get the numbers off of them but give me a couple days its my wife’s truck.

Are they better or worse than OME stocks?

I don’t know I’ve never had OME shocks on my truck. All I know is that most rigs around here have them and I can make them softer or stiffer and that is cool.

And the remote kit sucks

I would rather have some high end Bilsteins.

Have had the RS 9000's on previous 4runners and they worked well as long as you are not into continuous high speed stuff. Find a local off road shop that sells Rancho shocks and ask them to look for a shock that will work as NorCalSam suggested. Rancho supplies a book to all of thier distributors that has the complete listing of all of their shocks that breaks down to the type of upper mount and lower mount (many combinations), compressed length, extended length, valving (kind of irrelevant on the 9000's) etc... At the very least they can give you the specs on the RS9207 and RS9208's that you can compare to the specs on the N73 (24.2" extended and 13.9" compressed) and the N74E (24.4" extended and 14.6" compressed). If they are worth thier salt they can find a shock that will work for your rig, if available, if the ones you have don't work. You can also get the part numbers that are stamped on the side of the shock body from NorCalSam when his wife lets him get under her 80. :D

Just FYI, in case it makes a difference. Our truck is running Rancho RS9000x shocks. These are a 9 way adjustable system. I think this was the newer version since the RS9000.

Teresa

All not true.

I have been running them for over three years I had them put on when I got the lift. I simply wanted the best plug-in shock that I could get and these seamed to be I wanted a adjustable shock with remote reservoir the 9000s were the best my 4x4 shop could find. What I had him do is get the specs from OME on the shock that they were including with the 2.5” lift and match that in a Rancho 9000. That is what he did. They perform good and unlike others I have a little adjustability. I could get the numbers off of them but give me a couple days its my wife’s truck.

Are they better or worse than OME stocks?

I don’t know I’ve never had OME shocks on my truck. All I know is that most rigs around here have them and I can make them softer or stiffer and that is cool.

And the remote kit sucks

No disrespect Sam, but that's the info I got from Rancho's tech folks. They did not recommend their 9 way adjustable RS9000x with a 2.5" lift.

Thanks for all the info!!

Can you guys running the RS9000's tell me what part number your Ranchos are??

Tim

No disrespect Sam, but that's the info I got from Rancho's tech folks. They did not recommend their 9 way adjustable RS9000x with a 2.5" lift.

No disrespect brent, but the shocks work great. It's like a vaccine and its label. The folks at tech support must follow the manufactures label. Off label use is at your own discretion. Many Doctors do this daily as well as 4x4 techs. Pretty standard procedure. We've had no problems. Articulation is great. We seem to have more travel than others. The shocks have been on for 3 years. The length works and we've had no problems. I or Sam can crawl under the truck and adjust the shocks and it's great. I am not lobbying for Rancho by any means, as we've had numerous problems with the remote incab system "it sucks". But the shocks alone are great. I don't know what bilsteins protocol says, but its pretty normal that a company would only endorse their shock with their lift. So use it as you want. There are not set protocols. This is called "thinking out of the box". Just FYI, were not the only ones with an 80 with these shocks endorsed by differend 4x4 shops in our area.. Were not saying these are better than OME as we've not run them. But we can say we've had them on for approx 55,000 miles and we've done lots of local wheeling, long distance trips, and the moab prerun through canyonlands, moab, and recently the rubicon and we've yet to see problems associated with the shocks. I drive windy roads including much on dirt every day and its nice to have the adjustability. I'm not supporting this like I support the labs bumper, but I just want to convey that they do work and do a nice job. You really do need to take tech support with a grain of salt and use your training and judgement in your decision. If your not sure, follow the specs for your lift.

We can chat around the bon fire at surf - n - turf.

Regards,

Tree

Last edited:
Glad your's are working out. Not knowing much about lifts, I took Rancho at their word. I too liked the adjustability of the shock when I had them. See you at SnT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom