2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Honestly give me a good beater recommendation. Im still undecided and need something i will enjoy trashing in Houston traffic. Like run it through the harshest auto washes, not dodge any pothole, and leave in the baking sun dirty all the time. i4 is nice, but i need a hooptie i truly dont care about, an will never maintain. Used tesla kind of fits the bill.

After watching the Hoovies garage video where he bought a Tesla 6 months out of warranty and the battery broke I would never buy a used Tesla. What is it now, $20k for a new battery?

Why is this in the radiator failure thread?

I was under the impression radiators across the auto industry only last until around 100 k miles.

Sadly 100k miles is a normal maintenance interval for a plastic end tank radiator. None of the manufacturers are making all metal radiators anymore and haven't in 30-40 years

Because I would rather buy a 10 year old truck with a gimpy, $1400 radiator than a car with a gimpy, $20k battery?
Not even close to relevant to technical discussion on failing radiators in 200-series cruisers/LX.

Because I would rather buy a 10 year old truck with a gimpy, $1400 radiator than a car with a gimpy, $20k battery?

Well to keep things “technical” Toyota recently ripped apart a tesla for insight and called it a “work of art in design and manufacturing”.

They are woefully behind in a lot of areas and are finally acknowledging it, something ive been lambasted for on the forum for bringing up before, and all my predictions have come true.

Munro recently has similar comments.

How much SLLC do I need for the radiator replacement?

How much SLLC do I need for the radiator replacement?
Two gallons will do it. More if you plan to dump & fill the whole system.

Not even close to relevant to technical discussion on failing radiators in 200-series cruisers/LX.

And neither is your complaining about it. I posted relevant technical discussion. I responded to someone else's comment. If you have a problem complain to that person.

Last edited:
@grinchy what mileage were you at when the new failure happened?

And neither is your complaining about it. I posted relevant technical discussion. I responded to someone else's comment. If you have a problem complain to that person.

I attempted to get the thread back on topic by asking why off-topic discussion was happening, everyone else got the hint.

Thanks for your earlier contribution, I really need to work on my planned reboot of this thread.

@grinchy what mileage were you at when the new failure happened?

I attempted to get the thread back on topic by asking why off-topic discussion was happening, everyone else got the hint.

Thanks for your earlier contribution, I really need to work on my planned reboot of this thread.

And i petition once again for the board pin! This is less reliable than AHC.

And i petition once again for the board pin! This is less reliable than AHC.
The information posted at the beginning of the thread is no longer accurate, so I see why it isn't pinned already. We really need a re-do with updated info, and far less than 80 pages of info for people to dig through.

The information posted at the beginning of the thread is no longer accurate, so I see why it isn't pinned already. We really need a re-do with updated info, and far less than 80 pages of info for people to dig through.

I vote bloc and he def deserves a pin! I wont spoil the well in the new thread either, lol, pinky promise.

This post seems helpful to me, but it's already dated now.

81 pages, but who is counting. With that said, any idea what the earliest that this failure has occurred? I will be looking back over my '18 just to see if there has been any leakage but at 31k miles, I certainly hope there isn't. Last time I looked (about page 40 or so in this thread), it looked new still... and it was.

81 pages, but who is counting. With that said, any idea what the earliest that this failure has occurred? I will be looking back over my '18 just to see if there has been any leakage but at 31k miles, I certainly hope there isn't. Last time I looked (about page 40 or so in this thread), it looked new still... and it was.

It begins pretty early. I believe mine was hairline stressed at around 50k at least. And it just develops from there. Not sure what contributes to early or later demise, probably temp variance if i had to guess.

Your 2018 should definitely have the updated design though with the flatter contoured top stamp. Took 10 years, but i dont believe any of those have failed.

"Your 2018 should definitely have the updated design though with the flatter contoured top stamp. Took 10 years, but i dont believe any of those have failed."

Good to know but since the title includes '18, I wanted to ask. I'll take a look at mine anyways and maybe just start taking a peak every 6 months, as I only put about 8-9k miles on the truck each year and I agree that temperature swing and age should attribute to the failures more than mileage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom