J60 Glove Box Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mr2m1

SILVER Star
Threads
Finally getting off my a$$ to post this.

I've been working on a replacement glove box for the FJ60's for way too long. I know Wits End has discontinued his aluminum glove boxes so I thought I would see if there is any interest in a 18ga powder coated steel version.

Details of progress:
I have made a few prototypes and tested them locally on 2 other 60's (thanks to @NookShneer and @Skreddy). I would need to do some more test fitting before I would offer them for sale. From the the 2 vehicles I have tried them on there has been an issue with each. On Skreddys 87 the opening top to bottom was a bit larger than my 60 (mine was produced Sept 85). I have no idea if this was a change Toyota made sometime after mine was produced or if there is a discrepancy with the openings. Hopefully someone can enlighten me.

On Nooksheers (don't remember year) there was a large wire bundle at the back of the opening near the heater duct, again I have no idea why this was different from my cruiser. The proto box did hit the bundle some but not enough to prevent installation, I would probably reduce the depth of the box design if this was a common theme.

Fortunately I have all the tools and a large powder coat oven to fabricate these all in house, this in turn will keep the cost down.

In the meantime I would like to find a few 60 owners that would be interested in fitting these into their rigs. I would supply the finished glove box, as long as you agree to provide feedback about the installation and fitment. For your time you will get to keep the glove box if you like it of course. The only thing I ask is that those interested pay for shipping to their location.

EDIT 01/20/24
Order info:

Please message me with the following info if interested in ordering a glove box. Currently I am asking $60 $80 for one, this price will eventually increase.

1. Glove box opening width and height.
2. Stock light hole or cutout for LED light (you will have to order your own LED light)

Thanks

ASM-FJ60 Glove Box-Rendered.jpg

Rendered image

IMG_5007.jpeg

Latest version

J60 Glove Box_064.JPG

Latest version

Horiz Dim.jpg

Width measurement

Vert Dim.jpg

Height measurement

Last edited:
I may be interested in this type of upgrade but I think I'd prefer aluminum. The USB plug is interesting.

Steel FTW! Count me in if in production +/- 3months.

Happy to try installing one and provide feedback with pix. No problem paying exorbitant shipping to Canada.

@mr2m1 I’m a year and a half into making some 60 Series products and I’ve run into this same exact thing. The US-spec 60 that “was the same” from 81-87 actually had a whole lot of very small changes year to year. I’ve had the same thing happen where I make a product for my truck that I’m happy with, go to install it in another 60 and it doesn’t work, so I scratch my head.

Once you figure out the difference issues I’d gladly participate in a survey: send you photo of the area in question along with the month/year on the build plate. First you gotta figure out what the differences are - the wire bundle in back shortening your depth is one. Maybe a bend of the sheet metal dash is changed by a few degrees or the mounting holes are off. Happy to send a photo of mine (1982) if it helps at this stage.

Bravo for taking this on...I got mine from Wits when they were making it, powder coated it black and it is one of the best upgrades I have ever done. Easily worth whatever you have to ask for it. And now your gonna make it even fancier and make me want to upgrade from this one!! pfft.

I may be interested in this type of upgrade but I think I'd prefer aluminum. The USB plug is interesting.
I may be doing aluminum in the future, its just a matter of dialing in my CNC to cut it.

Jason - glad to see this project moving! Come out to the SCH meeting on Tuesday and ask to demo on some trucks. Will be at Elliot Bay Brewing in Lake City.
I would love to but I'm heading to Cali on Monday for a few weeks to help my brother.

Thanks, I''l add you to the list.
Oh, there’s a volunteer list? I have an 82 FJ60 if me to test fit one. Happy to send it back when done or whatever.

I've got an 84 60 that I'd be happy to test in - also just received the Wit's End version (finally) for comparison purposes if that helps. Oh, and the original cardboard :p

I've also got an 84 FJ60 and am super interested in this. My cardboard insert is on its last leg...

Excited that you are taking this on. I have been planning on the wits end insert for a couple years, but it kept falling down the priority list.

def interested in this! I have an FJ62 and what i noticed from wits end version is that the FJ62 is not an exact fit for an FJ60. there's an indentation at the right hand side that simply must be there.... I've got a good spare glovebox that i don't need anymore; i've got no problems sending it to you if you want a reference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom