What's the lowest clearance 100 Series Roof Rack setup? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm needing to shave a couple inches off the height of my rig, to give me more garage parking options as my wife and I search for a new home. I know that I'm going to need to abandon the factory rails to achieve this. I want to keep my iKamper installed. I'm running OEM factory rails + thule feet + thule square bars. As measured from the raised roof 'mohawk' closest to the side of of the vehicle, and at the crest of the roof and mohawk approx. above the 2nd row rear window (see picture), I'm measuring 3 15/16" from the metal roof mohawk to the top of the thule square bar on my system.

Also, I have a bush company 270 deg. awning, and like most awning, it requires long cross bars that stick out well past the RTT. So whatever system I switch to will need long cross bars for this reason.

What's the same measurement on your roof rack setup (with crossbars) at that same point on the vehicle?

IMG_1222.jpg

Last edited:
Low profile is a great idea until you need to get your mitts under there to do anything.

I’d like to see removable cross bars. Mount the crossbars to your tent, then attach the whole thing to fore/aft rails. That could be made very low profile.

Low profile is a great idea until you need to get your mitts under there to do anything.

I’d like to see removable cross bars. Mount the crossbars to your tent, then attach the whole thing to fore/aft rails. That could be made very low profile.
Very good point. With my 4" clearance, it's a pretty tight fit even to use the T-wrench to lock the iKamper down to my crossbars.

Maybe I should just construction adhesive my RTT to my roof! ;). That's a low profile as it gets!

Maybe the Rhino Rack pioneer platform with the RCL6 feet? Or even the Vortex bars? I’m out of town for a bit but can take some measurements when I’m home.
The nice thing about the feet vs the RR backbone is that you can take it all off with 6 bolts. If clearance under the tent is tight, leave the bars or platform attached to the tent and take it off as a unit. The initial tent to bar install will be a bear but after that, leave it all assembled.

I saw a couple roof rack videos on YT. They stated it’s the lowest profile roof rack for the 100. Prospeed is the company. I’m not sure if it’s true that it’s the lowest but looks slim.

I saw a couple roof rack videos on YT. They stated it’s the lowest profile roof rack for the 100. Prospeed is the company. I’m not sure if it’s true that it’s the lowest but looks slim.
It does look fairly slim, however, I'd have to add long cross bars on top that overhand my RTT for my 270 awning - but it's worth looking into. Thanks.

Maybe the Rhino Rack pioneer platform with the RCL6 feet? Or even the Vortex bars? I’m out of town for a bit but can take some measurements when I’m home.
The nice thing about the feet vs the RR backbone is that you can take it all off with 6 bolts. If clearance under the tent is tight, leave the bars or platform attached to the tent and take it off as a unit. The initial tent to bar install will be a bear but after that, leave it all assembled.
Yeah, it's definitely this type of system that I'm going to need, for the variable crossbar length. Rhino Rack's Heavy Duty Bars come in 44", 50", 54", 59", 65", 71", 79", 94". Looks like the Vortex bars might come in those same lengths. I could definitely assemble the entire system off the truck, and then if I ever need to pull it, undo the six feet. Looking at this photo attached, LC roof to the top of the crossbar doesn't look incredibly shorter than the 4" I'm at now. If anyone has measurements of this system, that would be amazing.

Does anyone else make this style of feet + crossbar system, other than Rhino Rack? Where the feet project up less? I've been looking, and haven't discovered any yet.

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 9.31.08 AM.png

Considering your location, and the level of customization offered by Gamiviti, you may want to talk to @nakman

FYI - this is how the iKamper mounts - So I could lower my RTT approx. an additional 3" and not have these brackets hit my roof.

Screenshot 2023-03-12 at 10.48.06 AM.png

ARB Baserack, at its closest its 13mm off the roof.
I presume that is to the bottom of the system? How about to the top of added crossbars - where my RTT and awning would rest/mount?

@porkandcorn hey thanks for the PM. So many options now.. if you want to run extrusion cross bars you could lay those essentially on top of your OEM rails, we have an angle bracket that makes that a bolt-up. If you want to replace all the OEM stuff and instead run our towers and 3 or 4 cross bars, either the Rhino heavy duty or some 80/20 extrusions, you can do that also. And of course a full host of rack options, happy to help you find a new solution here.

And yes thanks @jLB I'm literally up the street from you in Broomfield you're welcome to come see it all, just need to set up a time. :cheers:

I presume that is to the bottom of the system? How about to the top of added crossbars - where my RTT and awning would rest/mount?

This is what I did with the ARB base rack “fit kit”. Didn’t see the need to add a rack under the tent and make it higher. Saved a little not having a rack.

Very similar to the Gamiviti mounts. You remove your factory bars and then use feet to mount bars then mount your tent to the bars. I under mounted the extruded bars. I would run different bars if I did it again (I may actually swap them out at some point)

You remove the tent with the bars attached (not enough clearance for tools under it. 6 bolts on the sides and it is off.

Your awning mount would need a bracket (or a topside mounted extrusion in order to have a mount ing point. I plan to use the CVT awning brackets off the tent itself.

Those are the older style feet that I don’t think they sell anymore. They are the same height as the RCH feet which is 15mm higher than the RCL’s. I have the RCL’s with the Vortex bars on that I can measure once I’m home in a few days.
Yeah, it's definitely this type of system that I'm going to need, for the variable crossbar length. Rhino Rack's Heavy Duty Bars come in 44", 50", 54", 59", 65", 71", 79", 94". Looks like the Vortex bars might come in those same lengths. I could definitely assemble the entire system off the truck, and then if I ever need to pull it, undo the six feet. Looking at this photo attached, LC roof to the top of the crossbar doesn't look incredibly shorter than the 4" I'm at now. If anyone has measurements of this system, that would be amazing.

Does anyone else make this style of feet + crossbar system, other than Rhino Rack? Where the feet project up less? I've been looking, and haven't discovered any yet.

View attachment 3270205

@porkandcorn hey thanks for the PM. So many options now.. if you want to run extrusion cross bars you could lay those essentially on top of your OEM rails, we have an angle bracket that makes that a bolt-up. If you want to replace all the OEM stuff and instead run our towers and 3 or 4 cross bars, either the Rhino heavy duty or some 80/20 extrusions, you can do that also. And of course a full host of rack options, happy to help you find a new solution here.

And yes thanks @jLB I'm literally up the street from you in Broomfield you're welcome to come see it all, just need to set up a time. :cheers:
As measured from the crown of the roof at one of the three mohawks, to the top of your cross bar, what is the measurement of the lowest profile you offer?

As measured from the crown of the roof at one of the three mohawks, to the top of your cross bar, what is the measurement of the lowest profile you offer?
Roughly 2.25-2.5" depending on where you measure. That's using a 1" tall extrusion. Setup would be similar to this one:

19526AE3-A829-416E-8632-925FCC3126CF.JPG

Those are 1" wide, you could also run the wider 1x2 or 1x3 extrusions, they'll all bolt up.. . wider is stiffer, your limiter is how wide your RTT attachment is.

Roughly 2.25-2.5" depending on where you measure. That's using a 1" tall extrusion. Setup would be similar to this one:

View attachment 3271457

Those are 1" wide, you could also run the wider 1x2 or 1x3 extrusions, they'll all bolt up.. . wider is stiffer, your limiter is how wide your RTT attachment is.

hey nakman - sorry, i wasn't super clear on my question. my bad. i need a very specific measurement verification, just to be 100% we are measuring from the same spot, so i can know the exact height i'll be shaving off.... can you get this exact measurement on a 100 series, from the outer/passenger side roof mohawk pictured. if it is still 2.25 - 2.5" to the top of your extrusion bar, then we are golden!

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 3.11.25 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom