New 60 - Long Drive Home (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought an 83 FJ60 off of eBay a couple weeks ago. One owner past 40 years, and a true rust free vehicle.

125,290 miles when I got her.

Here's what it has;

Recent and new H55 upgrade.

2" OME lift

Desmogged with Euro spec air filter upgrade.

Dual batteries.

ARB front bumper.

Custom sliders and rear bumper.

Driver's seat cushion replaced

Center console replaced with Tuffybox console.

Upgraded stereo in center console, with amp hidden behind left rear panel.

This picture is from the original eBay listing.

$_32 (5).jpeg

Last edited:
I flew into DFW (Texas) to pick up the vehicle. I arranged to meet at a Bass Pro Shop just outside the airport.

KIMG0025.JPG

Timing was perfect as I saw the rig pulling in ahead of us, and told the Taxi driver follow that Truck with Trailer.

After going over the vehicle, and talking Cruiser's for longer then I wanted to (had to get on the road, and didn't want to drive at night with an unfamiliar vehicle), I eventually got on the road later than I anticipated.

KIMG0026.JPG

First stop before it got dark was in Wichita Falls , where I pulled into a Sonic for dinner and then fueled up.
Those LED upgraded headlights are nice, but need some adjustments. Those knockoff KC Highlighters which are wired up to the high-beams are like one candle power, and I've got to decide what to replace them with, but I do like the retro look of them.

I then drove for a few more hours and settled in for the evening in Amarillo.

Next day, an uneventful drive through New Mexico and into Colorado, but Raton Pass was a third gear at 55-mph affair. That 2F engine is not a powerhouse at highway speeds when it comes to inclines and mountain passes.

Spent the next night in Boulder Colorado, and look where the odometer was at the next morning...

KIMG0028.JPG

Because of timing, I didn't get a chance to get any BBQ while in Texas, so still having the craving, I stopped at Nordy's BBQ in Loveland Colorado, where a friend joined me for some Texas Style BBQ.

KIMG0030.JPG

To avoid the ski traffic, long steep climb, and Magnesium Chloride mist of I-70, I took the alternate route through Wyoming and avoided getting the new/old truck smothered and wet with nasty road conditions.

KIMG0031.JPG

Had a few snowy and wet spots I couldn't avoid once I got back into Colorado, so my last stop was to fill her up with Corn-free (non-ethanol) premium, and hit the carwash for a wash and rinse before heading home.

Last edited:
Made it home just after sunset. Overall a good long and slow trip covering nearly 1000 miles, which allowed me to become familiar with the new rig.

KIMG0033.JPG

Timing was perfect, as I woke to heavy wet snow falling, with about 4" of accumulation.

Tires are old, and starting to check and crack. First order of business is to order some 16" OEM wheels and source new tires. Unfortunately, there's not too many options for 15" tires anymore, and I'm pretty particular on what tires I run, so the factory 15" wheels will be put away and saved. I even have the factory center caps for the two rear wheels. Kind of neat as I've never seen a 60 with them before.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out for you, I thought you thinking it was a scam.
nice looking rig and great adventure

Here's the bad;

Original bumpers, along with the factory center console are long gone.

Owner is moving, and he thinks 40-years of maintenance records and receipts were inadvertently shredded.

He thinks he still has the original window sticker, but can't locate it. He felt lucky that he even found the title and owners manual.

I bet you will have no problem finding someone to buy that Gen 1 ARB at a price that will get you a big chunk of the cost of a pair of new bumpers from Toyota.

The factory bumper is super wak....not a bad thing its gone.

Even worse is the factory center console. Thats a blessing its gone.

More pics!

Yeah, with the pesky Deer we have around here, good to have that ARB bumper up front. Before I laid hands on the rear bumper, just looking at pictures I was thinking that thing has to go. But it's actually very well built, and looks better in real life. Was told someone local to DFW area made 20 or so of them, and never made any more. The sliders, I have someone who wants them, so they may be coming off soon.

I'll get more pictures after the weather breaks, it can't decide if it wants to snow or rain right now.

Here a couple pictures of the dash, and rear bumper. Unfortunately that digital clock and inclinometer are not working (frozen/locked).

$_32 (6).jpeg

$_32 (2).jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, with the pesky Deer we have around here, good to have that ARB bumper up front. Before I laid hands on the rear bumper, just looking at pictures I was thinking that thing has to go. But it's actually very well built, and looks better in real life. Was told someone local to DFW area made 20 or so of them, and never made any more. The sliders, I have someone who wants them, so they may be coming off soon.

I'll get more pictures after the weather breaks, it can decide if it wants to snow or rain right now.

Here a couple pictures of the dash, and rear bumper. Unfortunately that digital clock and inclinometer are not working.

View attachment 3268952

View attachment 3268953
Love that inclinometer

Amazing rig!!! What a great start to make it even better. I have to admit that BBQ in Colorado moonlighting as TX BBQ is a far cry from lame. When you come to DFW let me know and we will take you to some great worn in places. Enjoy the journey in and out of your wallet. Live once. Make it count.

Here's the bad;

Original bumpers, along with the factory center console are long gone.

Owner is moving, and he thinks 40-years of maintenance records and receipts were inadvertently shredded.

He thinks he still has the original window sticker, but can't locate it. He felt lucky that he even found the title and owners manual.
Why would you want the original bumper with that sweet gen 1 ARB?!? Nice 60.

Great intro/write-up, super clean rig and my favorite OEM color on a 60 series.

I flew into DFW (Texas) to pick up the vehicle. I arranged to meet at a Bass Pro Shop just outside the airport.

View attachment 3268592

Timing was perfect as I saw the rig pulling in ahead of us, and told the Taxi driver follow that Truck with Trailer.

After going over the vehicle, and talking Cruiser's for longer then I wanted to (had to get on the road, and didn't want to drive at night with an unfamiliar vehicle), I eventually got on the road later than I anticipated.

View attachment 3268598

First stop before it got dark was in Wichita Falls , where I pulled into a Sonic for dinner and then fueled up.
Those LED upgraded headlights are nice, but need some adjustments. Those knockoff KC Highlighters which are wired up to the high-beams are like one candle power, and I've got to decide what to replace them with, but I do like the retro look of them.

I then drove for a few more hours and settled in for the evening in Amarillo.

Next day, an uneventful drive through New Mexico and into Colorado, but Raton Pass was a third gear at 55-mph affair. That 2F engine is not a powerhouse at highway speeds when it comes to inclines and mountain passes.

Spent the next night in Boulder Colorado, and look where the odometer was at the next morning...

View attachment 3268611

Because of timing, I didn't get a chance to get any BBQ while in Texas, so still having the craving, I stopped at Nordy's BBQ in Loveland Colorado, where a friend joined me for some Texas Style BBQ.

View attachment 3268614

To avoid the ski traffic, long steep climb, and Magnesium Chloride mist of I-70, I took the alternate route through Wyoming and avoided getting the new/old truck smothered and wet with nasty road conditions.

View attachment 3268618

Had a few snowy and wet spots I couldn't avoid once I got back into Colorado, so my last stop was to fill her up with Corn-free (non-ethanol) premium, and hit the carwash for a wash and rinse before heading home.

What’s on that plate is what we call pot roast….or meatloaf. Haha.
Congrats on a beautiful rig with lots of nice amenities already added. 🍻

Congrats! I came very, very close to bidding on it myself. It's worth what you paid for it IMO (I followed it very closely). If I wasn't preoccupied with building a house, I would have bid what you did. Love the color and patina, rare to find a well-maintained low mileage original paint survivor these days.

Looks like a nice clean rig. Congratulations enjoy the ride. :beer: ✌️

If you decide to ditch the rear bumper, 4Plus makes a great product. I have 2 of them and could not be more pleased with the appearance, function and quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom