Factory locker vs aftermarket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I might be getting my hands on a 1995 junker. How hard is it to swap differentials/axles onto my 92 so I can get her triple locked?

"Factory locker vs aftermarket"

Here we go :facepalm:

Just managing expectations.

Get the “junker” sell the axles for a pretty penny and have after market lockers installed. This is much easier and you won’t need to deal with the overhaul and preparation of old assemblies.

Get the “junker” sell the axles for a pretty penny and have after market lockers installed. This is much easier and you won’t need to deal with the overhaul and preparation of old assemblies.
This 100%. If the 95 is a junker its highly likely that the lockers are junk too. You'll spend a minimum of $400 per axel to replace the motors and then you have slow to engage and disengage electric lockers. Then you have to hope that the switch, wire harness, sensors and controller are still functional. Admittedly mines triple locked, but if I had to buy another one I'd get unlocked and go aftermarket.

Air lockers are fast, but lines break, lines freeze, hence my requirement for an air/water separator after the latest episode. The above scenarios leave you dickered and now you have to suffer.
With the factory locker you can easily lock or unlock manually by removing a few bolts.
I have air, OEM cable and OEM electric. I'll take the OEM any time.

Air lockers are fast, but lines break, lines freeze, hence my requirement for an air/water separator after the latest episode. The above scenarios leave you dickered and now you have to suffer.
With the factory locker you can easily lock or unlock manually by removing a few bolts.
I have air, OEM cable and OEM electric. I'll take the OEM any time.
And you can manually lock an elocker with a 9v battery or a few AAs in series. :meh:

so i have been around 80s for a while and have owned just about every setup there is and here is my .02

just toss a luchbox in the rear and ride. takes very little time, will cost you maybe 400 bucks once you buy gear oil and gaskets. they simply work and 90% of the time a rear locker is enough. if you NEED a front locker then we might as well talk about 1 ton swaps since you are already prepared to drop like 2 or 3 grand for the factory ones and might as well go big of go home.

i promise you dont want the headache of installing factory lockers. if you are skilled enough to get them in and make all the wiring work then you are skilled enough to install aftermarket lockers that are newer, and better, technology.

so i have been around 80s for a while and have owned just about every setup there is and here is my .02

just toss a luchbox in the rear and ride. takes very little time, will cost you maybe 400 bucks once you buy gear oil and gaskets. they simply work and 90% of the time a rear locker is enough. if you NEED a front locker then we might as well talk about 1 ton swaps since you are already prepared to drop like 2 or 3 grand for the factory ones and might as well go big of go home.

i promise you dont want the headache of installing factory lockers. if you are skilled enough to get them in and make all the wiring work then you are skilled enough to install aftermarket lockers that are newer, and better, technology.
Totally different experience here. Lunchbox lockers suck. Had to to tow a guy once because it kept on kicking in when not needed. Third got so hot it cooked the gear oil and shot out out the breather tubes. I would stay away from them. Have control of when you want it to act.

Totally different experience here. Lunchbox lockers suck. Had to to tow a guy once because it kept on kicking in when not needed. Third got so hot it cooked the gear oil and shot out out the breather tubes. I would stay away from them. Have control of when you want it to act.
sounds like it was installed wrong then. i have had them for years in 2 of my 80s and they work exactly as they should. one has about 30K miles on it.

now for factory lockers i have seen just about every issue you can have and man are they a pain to troubleshoot. easy solution is to put them on toggle switches to get that stupid ECU out of the way and be able to run them with front only or however you want.

sounds like it was installed wrong then. i have had them for years in 2 of my 80s and they work exactly as they should. one has about 30K miles on it.

now for factory lockers i have seen just about every issue you can have and man are they a pain to troubleshoot. easy solution is to put them on toggle switches to get that stupid ECU out of the way and be able to run them with front only or however you want.
Putting them on a toggle switch on my fj140 build. Have you put the CDL on a toggle? If so, I may ping you to chat. Want my build to be triple locked.

Putting them on a toggle switch on my fj140 build. Have you put the CDL on a toggle? If so, I may ping you to chat. Want my build to be triple locked.
No but I have installed a CDL button.

I have two different CDL motor failures over the years that required a replacement of the motor. One caused by water and another that just froze up from never being used. Ironically it was on a factory locked vehicle that also required two new diff motors from lack of use.

So, at the risk of being shamed (again) for daring to ask about something which may have been asked previously, I’m having trouble finding harrop for front and rear in the US. Most I see are for later model 80’s with FF.

This 100%. If the 95 is a junker its highly likely that the lockers are junk too. You'll spend a minimum of $400 per axel to replace the motors and then you have slow to engage and disengage electric lockers. Then you have to hope that the switch, wire harness, sensors and controller are still functional. Admittedly mines triple locked, but if I had to buy another one I'd get unlocked and go aftermarket.
The junker was awful! So sad to see that vehicle neglected and abused the way it was. I couldn’t get the lockers to engage and the price they wanted was absurd for its condition. So…I guess it’s on to aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom