Ferrules! Wagos! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you put those Wago connections under strain on a vibration table? I love Wago's but wouldn't consider them a permanent option for high-current connections on a highly vibrating chassis. I can't find any official info about their use in automotive or aviation applications, but it does seem like folks are commonly using them in automotive from various forums.

Wago cage clamp connectors have IEC/EN 60068-2-6 and EN 60947-7-1 certifications for vibration and pull out testing respectively, among others: Laboratory Tests - https://www.wago.com/us/laboratory-tests

If you trust your skills and have the tools, ring terminals will always provide the "best" electrical and mechanical connection. However, someone who doesn't have good tools or much practice is more likely to make a good connection on a Wago terminal. All you have to do is make sure the wire strands are fully inside the connector body and the insulation isn't stripped too far back. Much less room for error.

Nice call, I do see that the CAGE CLAMP series you used appears to have IEC 60068-2-6 testing for vibration. Weird it's not referenced explicitly on the spec sheet though?!?

Importantly, I can't see where any of their SPLICING connectors (the ones we'd use at home) are tested to this standard. Do you have any additional info on this? I see some old references to WALL-NUTS series (non-levered splicing connectors) being tested but that's from 2009 and I'm not sure if the current design is compliant.

Nice call, I do see that the CAGE CLAMP series you used appears to have IEC 60068-2-6 testing for vibration. Weird it's not referenced explicitly on the spec sheet though?!?

Importantly, I can't see where any of their SPLICING connectors (the ones we'd use at home) are tested to this standard. Do you have any additional info on this? I see some old references to WALL-NUTS series (non-levered splicing connectors) being tested but that's from 2009 and I'm not sure if the current design is compliant.

There's some inconsistencies in how they list the certifications in different datasheets so I have to imagine that's just a documentation oversight. I've reached out to Wago to clarify and will let y'all know what they say. In any case I'll have a vibration table available to me in a few weeks and will update the thread with those test results as well.

Long term we will be doing independent laboratory testing but that is extremely cost prohibitive for a small business just getting started (tens of thousands of dollars to get that UL mark). Having said that, we've designed all of our products to meet all applicable standards for automotive electronic products in the USA and do not expect to make design revisions after independent testing is completed. All of the components and materials, including the PCB, are UL rated/listed/certified.

For what it's worth the Egon DC Hub is a similar product that uses screw terminals, seemingly without issue. A cursory search yields no information on vibration resistance of the connectors they're using, or anyone having issues with them coming loose.

I haven't done any testing myself of the splice connectors myself, only the PCB connectors. I see some trade magazines that say they're certified but nothing on the datasheet either.

Not a shake/vibe table but interesting and valuable just the same:

Ratings per IEC/EN 60664-1

2604 - 320V / 32A
2606 - 500V / 41A
2616 - 320V / 76A

The UL 1059 ratings are more conservative. All numbers are for group B:

2604 - 300V / 20A
2606 - 300V / 31A
2616 - 300V / 72A

The current ratings on the APDS are largely based on the fuse holder current rating and a limit of 15C temperature rise on the PCB (not counting heat sinking from the fuse holders and connectors). The best rating you'll find for a through hole ATC/ATO fuse holder that isn't made out of unobtanium is 30A so the 2606 connectors on the APDS were downrated a bit. Similar story on the 2604 connectors, some of them can be pushed past the 15A nominal rating but it'll exceed the very conservative temperature rise limit I set for the design.

Ratings per IEC/EN 60664-1

2604 - 320V / 32A
2606 - 500V / 41A
2616 - 320V / 76A

The UL 1059 ratings are more conservative. All numbers are for group B:

2604 - 300V / 20A
2606 - 300V / 31A
2616 - 300V / 72A

The current ratings on the APDS are largely based on the fuse holder current rating and a limit of 15C temperature rise on the PCB (not counting heat sinking from the fuse holders and connectors). The best rating you'll find for a through hole ATC/ATO fuse holder that isn't made out of unobtanium is 30A so the 2606 connectors on the APDS were downrated a bit. Similar story on the 2604 connectors, some of them can be pushed past the 15A nominal rating but it'll exceed the very conservative temperature rise limit I set for the design.
Those are for AC, arent they?

Datasheet doesn't say explicitly. I'm not a test engineer but my understanding is that the test procedures cover both AC and DC. If anything the DC voltage rating would be higher than the AC rating (rule of thumb is 50%). Wago connectors aren't designed to make or break connections under load so arcing isn't a factor in the ratings as it would in a switch for example.

Datasheet doesn't say explicitly. I'm not a test engineer but my understanding is that the test procedures cover both AC and DC. If anything the DC voltage rating would be higher than the AC rating (rule of thumb is 50%). Wago connectors aren't designed to make or break connections under load so arcing isn't a factor in the ratings as it would in a switch for example.
Good point, these arent switches lol

Whew ok so I managed to get the full test reports on those connectors from Wago (over 200 pages total). I don't think I can post them here but yes all three of the connectors on the APDS passed IES 60068-2-6.... among many many many MANY other tests. If anything the lab test page I linked the other day dramatically undersells how comprehensive and rigorous their testing is.

german engineering....!
looks like our Euro friends graduated from those screw strips affairs.

I installed hundreds of Wagos at my last job, they're fantastic! We used the 221 series lever-nuts. One of the best things about them was the mounting carrier, part number 221-500. It can hold several lever-nuts and can be mounted in three different ways using small screws or DIN-35 rail. It makes a great way to organize and add to circuits.
IMG_4417.jpeg

dang, now I find out that Wago has those nifty inline splicing lever connectors too. Those may be better for benchtop play stuff than the usual all-on-one-side types like above (which are better for wall boxes I would think). Back to shopping some more ...
(but unfortunately it does not look like they have them going to 10AWG, I would like that)

The vibration test above is stupid. Hanging 3lbs off the wire connection is just not a real world situation. I have wired houses, cars, low voltage, etc and have never seen an application where lbs were hung off the wire unless something failed or some damage occured. Thats all fine and well but means nothing in actual applications. Why dont you show what the plastic that connector is made from does when exposed to arcing, thats a real world situation. IMO anything that connects electricity should not have/use spring tension other than a specifically designed breaker. They used to put push in connectors on the back of 110 outlets, ask any electirician how many times those have failed, and thats in a static environment.

> Why dont you show what the plastic that connector is made from does when exposed to arcing, thats a real world situation.

Wago will send you results from this sort of testing, all you gotta do is ask them.

> They used to put push in connectors on the back of 110 outlets, ask any electirician how many times those have failed, and thats in a static environment.

They're only superficially the same mechanism, different materials and design allows for much higher clamping force:

They used to put push in connectors on the back of 110 outlets, ask any electirician how many times those have failed, and thats in a static environment.
They still put back stabs on 110 outlets and switches. I worked as an electrician for 3 or 4 years and the only people who refused to use them were "old school" electricians. Its just like with any new technology, people refuse to adapt to new stuff.
The plugs and switches would not be UL listed if the backstabs weren't safe.

I also used ferrules and wago connectors in industrial installations without fail, they are fantastic. If you ever have to adjust something or need to replace a device the crimped ferrule connectors are a life saver.

I saw a video of a guy testing a Wago *generic clone* with several thousand volts and it passed.

Now I see they just came out with outlets and light switches that have Wago lever connectors already built in. Way faster. Dang, they're taking over the entire world....

oh, dang it! I do love my Anderson PPs too and this breaks my heart, I was hoping for a tie:

The UPS man was.... unhappy to lug this thing out of the truck today. Doing some initial testing to make sure this thing works as advertised, will post a video when I get a chance.

vibration_table.jpg

Short clip of a longer test:

Full 24h test timelapse:

Spoiler alert: nothing happens, these are some of the most boring videos on YouTube. Having said that, I'll have a teardown and inspection video on the channel soon along with a full current electrical test, just need to edit and post them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom