adding AT oil to a 3fe with 350k And O2 sensor question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I continue my journey to transform fj80 3fe 1990 to a reliable Tourer. It has 350k and I want to take a pick at the gearbox screen and its oil, and add some. What do you think about adding new oil to the used one? ,
also as i have no CATs, do i need 2 O2 sensors, or 1 is enough?
thx

Do you have a manual gearbox or an automatic transmission? Neither should be low on fluid unless there's a leak, which would be my first job to tackle.

Yes, you can top off the fluid, whether it's gear oil or ATF, with new. If you don't know when it was changed last, assume it needs a change. Oh, and pull the fill plug if it's a manual gearbox, before pulling the drain plug. The automatic is filled though the dipstick tube. Both need new crush washers on the plugs. The washers cannot be reused.

CATs are for pollution control, O2 sensors are for engine control. The two are unrelated except for the fact that they are both installed in the same pipes. What is your configuration now?

FWIW, it might be a help to put, at least, your year model in your signature line. ;)

Do you have a manual gearbox or an automatic transmission? Neither should be low on fluid unless there's a leak, which would be my first job to tackle.

Yes, you can top off the fluid, whether it's gear oil or ATF, with new. If you don't know when it was changed last, assume it needs a change. Oh, and pull the fill plug if it's a manual gearbox, before pulling the drain plug. The automatic is filled though the dipstick tube. Both need new crush washers on the plugs. The washers cannot be reused.

CATs are for pollution control, O2 sensors are for engine control. The two are unrelated except for the fact that they are both installed in the same pipes. What is your configuration now?

FWIW, it might be a help to put, at least, your year model in your signature line. ;)
thx malleus
its automatic gear, model 1990 . adding fluid to the gear box is a long debate. How the 3fe gearbox handles replanish fluids?

thx malleus
its automatic gear, model 1990 . adding fluid to the gear box is a long debate. How the 3fe gearbox handles replanish fluids?
As I suggested, if you don't know when the fluid was last replaced, consider it in need of replacement. Adding fluid in the short term will not damage the transmission. If you don't know what type of fluid is in the transmission, you would be better off replacing it, sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom