LX 450 Fender Flare (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I am in search of help. After a short six months with my LX, I was hit at an intersection by someone running a red light. My cruiser was hit in the passenger rear quarter panel. Everyone was fine, and the cruiser looked a heck of a lot better than the other car, but now I have a dent and a fender flare with broken clips (herein lies the problem). I have searched high and low and cannot find replacement fender flares. My question is, what do yall suppose I do? my current flares are not dented at all, but most of the clips on the back broke off. Is there a way to reattach new click points easily or an alternative remedy to reattach my broken flares, or do I keep searching for lx fender flares? My understanding is that the lx flares are slightly different from all cruiser flares in terms of shape and mounting points. Thanks guys!

20230307_102716.jpg

20230307_102725.jpg

20230307_102732.jpg

20230307_102745.jpg

20230307_102748.jpg

The clips are still available new. If the flare's mounting brackets are broken from the flare, you're SOL. Yes the LX flars are unique to the LX; Land Cruiser flares won't work. Well, they will, but everyone will know...

If you still have the clip mounts, its possible to use a soldering iron and "weld" them back on. I would probably re-enforce the new weld with some wire and JB Weld too.

Best of luck to you.
I've already made the decision that if a flare gets broken off, I'm gonna strip the rest, seal the holes and rino-line the area. But my rig is already modified, so... it just needs to not look like sh1t.

I repaired mine with JB PlasticWeld. The large surface area of the putty helps stabilize the repair joint. Its been holding up a few years now.

The clips are still available new. If the flare's mounting brackets are broken from the flare, you're SOL. Yes the LX flars are unique to the LX; Land Cruiser flares won't work. Well, they will, but everyone will know...

If you still have the clip mounts, its possible to use a soldering iron and "weld" them back on. I would probably re-enforce the new weld with some wire and JB Weld too.

Best of luck to you.
I've already made the decision that if a flare gets broken off, I'm gonna strip the rest, seal the holes and rino-line the area. But my rig is already modified, so... it just needs to not look like sh1t.
Unfortunately I am missing one.
I repaired mine with JB PlasticWeld. The large surface area of the putty helps stabilize the repair joint. Its been holding up a few years now.
I am missing one of the clip mounting points on large flare that sits on the quarter panel itself. All other clips are accounted for. I hope I can simply jb weld all of those back in place and the one missing can go unnoticed. Any suggestions for clip mounting bracket fabrication?

I've ripped my flares off on the trail more times than I can count. I still like having them for street use, so just keep repairing the brackets.
Here's what I've learned: Simple JB Weld or two part epoxy or heated plastic weld alone doesn't hold up as well as a reenforced epoxy.
I use JB Weld mixed with fiberglass fibers cut from a woven mat. Make sure that both the bracket and fender are thoroughly roughened with a Dremel before applying the epoxy. The epoxy will separate from any smooth surface.
I'm missing a bracket or two and the flares still hold up fine for street or mild trail use.

I've ripped my flares off on the trail more times than I can count. I still like having them for street use, so just keep repairing the brackets.
Here's what I've learned: Simple JB Weld or two part epoxy or heated plastic weld alone doesn't hold up as well as a reenforced epoxy.
I use JB Weld mixed with fiberglass fibers cut from a woven mat. Make sure that both the bracket and fender are thoroughly roughened with a Dremel before applying the epoxy. The epoxy will separate from any smooth surface.
I'm missing a bracket or two and the flares still hold up fine for street or mild trail use.
Awesome, I think this is exactly what I'll do, thank you!

Awesome, I think this is exactly what I'll do, thank you!
Wait I do have one more question, how do you place the flare on the mounting points? I noticed a lot of the mounting brackets have openings in totally opposite direction, it seems impossible to slide that over the mounting stud on the body?

The mounting hardware goes on the flare, the flare goes on the body. Push clips drop in the holes. just like the interior panels.

The mounting hardware goes on the flare, the flare goes on the body. Push clips drop in the holes. just like the interior panels.
Hahaha hearing you explain it, it makes perfect sense but for some reason I couldn't decipher that on my own. Thank you!

Sometimes the parts diagrams and FSMs help. The attachment is for removal, the installation instructions are "installation is in the reverse order of removal". For example:
1678221548899.png

Attachments

• Quarter outside moulding, removal (BO-67 to BO-68).pdf
    73.5 KB · Views: 55
Paper or download? I doubt there's much, if any, difference between the '96 and '97 docs.

Last edited:
Remember to thank @jonheld if that's of use to you. He posted it for us.

Either would be absolutely fine be
Either would be fantastic, thank you for the link! And Thank you @jonheld for making these available! I just went to the link and it shows a file but it states i do not have permission to access/download

Edit: I realized I wasnt logged in when i first attempted to download. I have successfully downloaded the files now. Thank you both! @Malleus and @jonheld

The fiberglass tip is uber helpful. Thank you, I'll be fixing mine this weekend. Hoping I still have the brackets still intact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom