Diesel Hard to start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sureties has been discussed but...my1975 HJ45 6 cylinder Diesel is very hard to start...good cranking power and still having to wait 30-45 sec to heat glow plug and it takes at least 3 cycle's of heating and then try to start.
Clogged injectors? Glow plug not doing it's job? I'm too new to diesel so any help is appreciated

I had to ask my brother because he used to be a USMC tank mechanic. One of the things he mentioned is you should test your glow plugs to make sure they are working. Disconnect all the glow plugs and then use a test light connected to the battery and then connect to glow plug. The test light should light, if not the glow plug is bad. If all glow plugs are working then further inspection and testing will be necessary.

1 - pull the buss bar and wire off the glow plugs. get a volt meter put it to the ohm setting put one lead on the block the other to each of the tops of the glow plugs. Make sure they all are near the same resistance to the block and none are open.

2 - before hooking the wire back up to the buss bar make sure it’s not touching anything put you meter to volts dc. Put one lead to the block and one to the glow plug common wire. Make sure there is 12vdc for at least 20 seconds cold (on 24vdc system less time is needed)

3 - Assuming 1 and 2 check out ok. Your not going to like this but you need a compression test. You will need a compression gauge that will go up to 500psi. More than likely your compression is low and even lower cold.
I take it with you being in Florida it is not cold while you are trying to start the truck.

I had to ask my brother because he used to be a USMC tank mechanic. One of the things he mentioned is you should test your glow plugs to make sure they are working. Disconnect all the glow plugs and then use a test light connected to the battery and then connect to glow plug. The test light should light, if not the glow plug is bad. If all glow plugs are working then further inspection and testing will be necessary.
Thank you...I'll post a result so others might benefit.

1 - pull the buss bar and wire off the glow plugs. get a volt meter put it to the ohm setting put one lead on the block the other to each of the tops of the glow plugs. Make sure they all are near the same resistance to the block and none are open.

2 - before hooking the wire back up to the buss bar make sure it’s not touching anything put you meter to volts dc. Put one lead to the block and one to the glow plug common wire. Make sure there is 12vdc for at least 20 seconds cold (on 24vdc system less time is needed)

3 - Assuming 1 and 2 check out ok. Your not going to like this but you need a compression test. You will need a compression gauge that will go up to 500psi. More than likely your compression is low and even lower cold.
I take it with you being in Florida it is not cold while you are trying to start the truck.
Thanks so much...I'll post results...

Sure you have decent amps going to the plugs? Could be dodgy connections in whatever you have going on for relays etc.

Could try a jumper from the plugs more directly to the battery and see if it's any easier to start. :meh:

Sure you have decent amps going to the plugs? Could be dodgy connections in whatever you have going on for relays etc.

Could try a jumper from the plugs more directly to the battery and see if it's any easier to start. :meh:
Looks like I have strong 12 V to the bus bar. Could be connections at bar are not great. Thanks!

It could be bad fuel. They use veggie oil and sketchy fuel in CR because fuel is so expensive. It will run on that stuff, but it might make it run rougher depending on the quality of fuel. Also, my hj45 from CR had a bad starter and both my BJ40 and HJ45 had bad radiators and hoses so I had to replace all that, but it ran right after I did that

It could be bad fuel. They use veggie oil and sketchy fuel in CR because fuel is so expensive. It will run on that stuff, but it might make it run rougher depending on the quality of fuel. Also, my hj45 from CR had a bad starter and both my BJ40 and HJ45 had bad radiators and hoses so I had to replace all that, but it ran right after I did that
The starter sounds and cranks strong...I have filled it will local fuel here in Fl...but I've wondered about the condition of the tank...fuel filter and injectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom