16x10 -44 Wheels with 33s on 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, I’ve been lurking in this forum for ages to learn about cruisers, but I’ve finally got around to making an account.

So, I’ve got the opportunity to buy a set of 33” tyres with 16x10 -44 offset wheels. I have always liked the way 16x10 wheels with low offset looked, but I’ve heard some people speak negatively about them. I’m wondering what people that are running similar setups think of the arrangement handling and wear wise. I have read a few threads but none were very recent, hence this post.

I would be very grateful if those that are more knowledgeable than I would take the time to educate me on the good and the bad.

Pictures would be great!

FYI my 80 is a 1996 1hdft and I’m running a 2” lift.

10" width is too wide for 33's, imo.
Very easy to push the tire off the bead, especially at lower pressures.

10" width is too wide for 33's, imo.
Very easy to push the tire off the bead, especially at lower pressures.
Yeah that’s one of the biggest issues from what I’ve read. I don’t wheel very hard and it is mostly my daily/tourer. I can’t imagine I’ll be airing down super far - and with the 10” rim it seems to naturally widen the footprint slightly.

Thanks for the advice 😊

OK then, lets talk about the -44 offset. lol
That's huge. What is the back space?
Main concern would be where the center line of the wheel ends up relative to the center line of the wheel bearing.
It's not an immediate issue, but it will cause accelerated wear on the bearings over time.

OK then, lets talk about the -44 offset. lol
That's huge. What is the back space?
Main concern would be where the center line of the wheel ends up relative to the center line of the wheel bearing.
It's not an immediate issue, but it will cause accelerated wear on the bearings over time.
Yeah that was another concern. Using an online calculator, -44 offset would equate to about 3.77 inches of back space with the 10" rim. I've never encountered that term before researching these wheels on ih8mud lol. From what I can tell the stock back space is 4.5 inches. Doesn't seem like a massive difference to me?

To be honest, I'd be more worried about the change in steering geometry/accelerated wear on steering components. It's probably going to have to be a case of just giving it a shot and worst case is I sell the wheels and get different ones. A pretty common setup to run on 80's in NZ is 16x8 -22, and that leaves .14 less backspace than 16x10 -44. The legal factor is a bit iffy too - if the inspector was having a bad day he might do you in for it.

Sorry for the rant haha

Admittedly it's been a couple years since I was fluent in wheelspeak, but...
...to your first point, the diff between 3.77" and 4.5" is a significant change of center line between the two wheel bearings on the hub.
And hang on...offset is a cumulative difference in center-line, relative to backspace. They are not an interchangeable values.
But then everything down there is backwards, so I could be seeing all this upside down. :p

Admittedly it's been a couple years since I was fluent in wheelspeak, but...
...to your first point, the diff between 3.77" and 4.5" is a significant change of center line between the two wheel bearings on the hub.
And hang on...offset is a cumulative difference in center-line, relative to backspace. They are not an interchangeable values.
But then everything down there is backwards, so I could be seeing all this upside down. :p
Ok so if I'm understanding you right, you're saying due to the width of the rim, the centre-line will be relatively farther back compared to an 8"? So you must factor in the extra space between the centre bore and the outside edge of the wheel. Meaning a 16x10 would apply much more leverage to the hub and bearings than the equivalent in a 16x8 with 0 offset or even -44.

I guess the question is how significant isthe increase in wear going to be?

I must say, it is still extremely tempting, but I don't want to be "that guy" that runs a dumbass wheel setup just to look cool. It would be good if someone that has been running a similar setup to the one I'm considering could give their 2 cents.

Thanks a lot for this info, you have taught me a lot!

I think your over thinking it these trucks are over built and lots of guy’s are running big tires on wide rims with out issue.
If you like the rim tire set go for it and let us know how it works out 😉

I think your over thinking it these trucks are over built and lots of guy’s are running big tires on wide rims with out issue.
If you like the rim tire set go for it and let us know how it works out 😉
Yeah I think you’re right man, I almost mentioned the fact that you can supposedly run 37s without issue. I’ll just give it a whirl and make sure to post pics 👌 getting my lift kit fitted at the same time so she’s gonna be a new wagon!

Still keen to see pics of anyone else’s rigs and their setups. Thanks for the advice

Ok so if I'm understanding you right, you're saying due to the width of the rim, the centre-line will be relatively farther back compared to an 8"? So you must factor in the extra space between the centre bore and the outside edge of the wheel. Meaning a 16x10 would apply much more leverage to the hub and bearings than the equivalent in a 16x8 with 0 offset or even -44.
Correct. You get the drift.
Now that all that's out of the way, post pics when it's all said and done. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom