What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Headed home for the weekend.
My tank is a 25 gallon factory tank......

Had to stop for fuel. No I didn't actually run out, but I knew I was close.......

IMG_20230303_205049109.jpg

Ordered Ron Davis radiator and a LRA 38 gallon tank to add to the pile of parts for my ls swap

So running into something that I have not had an issue with. The exhaust cam driven sub gear service bolt holes don’t line up? Tried rotating the cam both ways and it’s still not lined up. Anybody ever run into this?? Can I remove the cams without having the service bolt in? Thanks in advance. @SNLC, @musthave, @manofthewoods. Tagging a couple guys that are familiar with engine tear downs.

53353F1C-F10A-47A7-8615-E65E6178B3EA.jpeg

CFEDD436-9F59-4E4B-AA58-B04CE7CAA61D.jpeg

Reactions: KTP
So running into something that I have not had an issue with. The exhaust cam driven sub gear service bolt holes don’t line up? Tried rotating the cam both ways and it’s still not lined up. Anybody ever run into this?? Can I remove the cams without having the service bolt in? Thanks in advance. @SNLC, @musthave, @manofthewoods. Tagging a couple guys that are familiar with engine tear downs.

View attachment 3263800

View attachment 3263801
So after some reading and having a breakfast beer. It makes sense now someone has been in here and did not follow the fsm for the exhaust cam they installed it incorrectly with out the service bolt. I have read that Its not a deal breaker but the spring in between the two gears won’t be doing its job to set the correct tension on the gears to eliminate lash. I’ll remove it and fix on the bench. Read this from @alia.

So after some reading and having a breakfast beer. It makes sense now someone has been in here and did not follow the fsm for the exhaust cam they installed it incorrectly with out the service bolt. I have read that Its not a deal breaker but the spring in between the two gears won’t be doing its job to set the correct tension on the gears to eliminate lash. I’ll remove it and fix on the bench. Read this from @alia.
And they installed the caps backwards.

Wish I new the history of this motor. It doesn’t really matter it will get bored out new pistons and fully rebuilt head. The HG is new and the updated style definitely not original.
Cross hatching in all cylinder is present and No scaring on cylinder walls.
BB91BB22-B92E-4987-BA9B-84D0127D247A.jpeg

2FC2BE23-9B51-4D72-AE4F-60E184BCD99A.jpeg

image.jpg

View attachment 3263800

View attachment 3263801
I’ve run into a cam that was not properly installed by last person doing service.
Not a big deal - you can line them up on a work bench and put the service bolt through.
You will notice it will run quieter once all together.

Wish I new the history of this motor. It doesn’t really matter it will get bored out new pistons and fully rebuilt head. The HG is new and the updated style definitely not original.
Cross hatching in all cylinder is present and No scaring on cylinder walls.
Torn down! Time to order bearings, pistons, rings, timing chain components and some FIPG. Hoping to have this one rebuilt in a couple weeks then posted for sale.

View attachment 3264002

View attachment 3264003

View attachment 3264004

View attachment 3264005

View attachment 3264006
You make it look easy…

I installed the Bump It Offroad skid plate. That was a fun solo job.

I need to go to Ace and get some larger washers. The lock washers are small and I need something to cover the bolt holes.

IMG_1993.jpg

Last edited:
Broke another stud doing rear bearings and seals. Decided to replace them all. So I put in an order at the dealer.

I'll just swap them one at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom