New Build - The Plum Cruiser - 2003 Black Garnet Pearl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After loving my 2000 LX470 for the past 5 years (which is for sale), I came across a 2003 Land Cruiser in Black Garnet Pearl that I couldn't pass up. I really liked the AHC in the Lexus, but I really wanted to try the simplicity of coils and springs, as well as the 5 speed trans.

Here she is:
- 177k miles, California car
- Icon shocks with cranked OEM torsion bars and OEM rear springs (from what I can tell)

Other than that pretty much bone stock and hopefully a great canvas for a build

kIaaQWj.jpg

iUQK7P6.jpg

hJLBvYY.jpg

Last edited:
I picked it up in Fresno which is about a 3 hour drive from my house.

As I was inspecting the car, I noticed the passenger side axle was pulled away from the hub and I could slide it back and forth. It was a Sunday and I didn't have the time or means to investigate, so I carefully drove it home.

When I got back I opened up the hub and noticed the C clip for the axle was completely missing. I repacked the bearing, installed a new lock ring, new C clip, and also put on a new flange for safe measures. However, the flange did not slide on as smoothly as I'd hoped and took some light taps with a hammer which leads me to believe the axle splines are a bit mangled.

I plan to order a new axle, but while I'm in there is there anything else that could have been damaged by driving it ~250 miles like that? I'm not hearing any sounds or vibrations or anything. Here's a pic of the axle after I fixed it for reference:

MTxP2Fu.jpg

Reactions: tip
Today I swapped out the aftermarket 17s with bald K02s for OEM 16s with 285/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx. I ran these tires on my LX470 and they've been great for anything I've thrown at them. I've always really liked the simple OEM look of the 16s.

hYVepco.jpg

Also, does anyone know what Icon shocks these are?

YmskyDr.jpg

As you can see, the front T bars have been lifted but the rear height is basically the same with OEM springs. I'm worried that once I put the roof tent and drawers in, the rear will sag with the nose up in the air. I've come from the AHC world so haven't dealt with this in a while.

I'd love to hear recommendations for a rear spring set up that will:

a) work with those Icon shocks

b) pair well with cranked front torsion bars

Agreed, love the color! I’m sure there are some who would disagree but icons kind of suck in my opinion. The rebuild intervals are too short, mine had about 20k or less on them before the rears started leaking, if I remember right they recommend a rebuild around 15k if the truck sees off-road so I guess I made it longer than recommended but having to rebuild every year and a half is a no go for me. Replaced them with dobinson ims and much happier. Anyway, congrats!

Agreed, love the color! I’m sure there are some who would disagree but icons kind of suck in my opinion. The rebuild intervals are too short, mine had about 20k or less on them before the rears started leaking, if I remember right they recommend a rebuild around 15k if the truck sees off-road so I guess I made it longer than recommended but having to rebuild every year and a half is a no go for me. Replaced them with dobinson ims and much happier. Anyway, congrats!

Thanks!

Yeah they probably would not have been my pick, but they were on the car when I bought it. Will probably rock them until they leak then change to something else.

Any recommendations for a rear spring that can pair well with cranked torsion bars in the front? And hopefully handle some extra weight as well.

Thanks!

Yeah they probably would not have been my pick, but they were on the car when I bought it. Will probably rock them until they leak then change to something else.

Any recommendations for a rear spring that can pair well with cranked torsion bars in the front? And hopefully handle some extra weight as well.
Definitely wear those out first. As for springs I can't really say as we keep it pretty light when fully loaded, maybe 200lbs tops. My lx had ome 2863 and nitros when I bought it, road like trash. Shortly after the Icons and before the dobinson shocks I switched to Dobinson 167 springs which have been great, they are not for heavier loads though. I don't know how much your drawers and tent setup weigh but most of the heavies will have a load rating. Hopefully someone more versed in that will chime in.

I went with OME 2865 springs and very happy with them. Not too stiff and not too soft. They cruiser will ride better with added weight on the back but to run them on a daily basis will be fine. Its not a difficult job to swap the springs out yourself either.

I went with OME 2865 springs and very happy with them. Not too stiff and not too soft. They cruiser will ride better with added weight on the back but to run them on a daily basis will be fine. Its not a difficult job to swap the springs out yourself either.

ooh interesting that sounds right about what I’m looking for.

How much lift did it give you with and without gear weight?

You will get 1.5" of height. I dont really carry a heavy load constantly. When im loaded with family and gear/luggage i dont really notice any sagging in rear. I added air bags just in case but have not needed to air them up yet.

EDIT: I think with the 2865 you gain 200lbs or so of additional weight carrying capacity.

Big weekend! I sold my LX470 which was bittersweet. Here is the new owner driving it away :(

JOvmkHk.jpg

I also installed the new rear springs! OME 2860 which is the mid weight 2.5" lift spring.

Before the springs I had 21.5" from hub to fender in the front and 20.5" in the rear (reverse rake). With the new springs I have 21.5" in the front and 22.75" in the rear.

This is with about 200lbs in the trunk from my drawers and some tools I carry around. It should come down a bit more once I put my tent back up there. I'm hoping for about 1" of rake for daily driving stance.

Before:

Kt63EkU.jpg

nvbZsN4.jpg

And after:

AizIz0A.jpg

Couple of questions:

1) when I was swapping the springs and letting the rear axle droop, it didn't take much to put a bit of strain on the rear brake lines (I unbolted the bracket to give them more flex). I this enough lift to require longer brake lines?

2) Is there anything else at this height I should be concerned about in the rear? Sway bar drop links, panhard bar brackets - anything like that?

Little update. Got the ARB bumper installed as well as my K9 load bars to mount the tent once the weather gets better.

Really happy with how it's sitting now!

YBhYRMO.jpg

oxqrC5c.jpg

But a question: after taking my factory roof rack feet off and mounted the rails for the load bars, I noticed there's a gap where the windshield molding starts. Is this going to be a problem for water?

What happens if water goes under the windshield molding? I figure this could potentially happen even with a factory rack in place.

3HtvYJR.jpg

Tj9da6S.jpg

Awesome find! The '03-'05 is definitely a sweet spot for the 100. Pre-VVTI but with the 5 speed. 👍

Reactions: GTV
Lovin' the Plum Cruiser!
(I'm a bit biased though)

Looks great! I am planning a very similar setup on my '99.
Nice! similar in terms of the rack? Or just the lift etc?

Awesome find! The '03-'05 is definitely a sweet spot for the 100. Pre-VVTI but with the 5 speed. 👍
Agreed! After years of owning a '00 LX I really like the 5 speed, but glad I still have glass headlights, no TPMS, no aux air pump

The gap in the windshield molding is normal, I've got it too.
Awesome thanks. But then I guess that means my slight leak on the passenger floor is from a bad windshield install in the past :(

Lovin' the Plum Cruiser!
(I'm a bit biased though)
it's certainly different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom