1996 LX450, Crank No Spark after Maintenance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, Everyone, I'm currently having a issue with my 1996 LX450,
Engine turns over, I smell fuel but there is no spark
I was doing my 170k maintenance list:
-Valve Cover Gaskets
-Distributor O-Ring
-Distributor Cap
-Distributor Rotor
-Spark Plugs
-Spark Plug Wires
-Land Tanks Blue Clutch Fan
-Positive Crank Case Valve
-Positive Crank Case Hoses
-Air Cleaner
-Oil
-Oil Filter
-Solvefunction Shakey Mirror Fix
---
After all of those were swapped I still had no spark
I even bought a new OEM distributor (Thinking I ruined the old one by cleaning it)- still no spark

Yes the coil is plugged in
Yes all my grounds are good
Yes my fuses/fuseable links are good
Yes Check Engine Light turns on
I also tried locking and unlocking the vehicle with the key multiple times thinking it would cycle the security system, with no luck

Does anyone know, what it could be? I'm thinking of testing the ignitor and coil next, but I don't have the documentation to know what reading I'm supposed to get from them.

324975965_735298481048220_4134428769612576239_n (1).jpg

I had a very similar issue last week, it drove me crazy. It ended up being two misrouted plug wires, and the air tube was misaligned and loose after I found the wires. Triple check over everything, it is probably something simple. Have you visually confirmed there is spark? Take out the spark plug, plug it back into the coil and ground the plug on the threads using a jumper wire or lead to the negative terminal, have someone crank the motor while you look for the spark.

I had a very similar issue last week, it drove me crazy. It ended up being two misrouted plug wires, and the air tube was misaligned and loose after I found the wires. Triple check over everything, it is probably something simple. Have you visually confirmed there is spark? Take out the spark plug, plug it back into the coil and ground the plug on the threads using a jumper wire or lead to the negative terminal, have someone crank the motor while you look for the spark.
Yes, I did a visual for the no spark, used a old wire and the old sparkplug I had replaced to check

Yes, I did a visual for the no spark, used a old wire and the old sparkplug I had replaced to check
I would consult the FSM and follow the diagnostic procedures for a no-spark condition, I referenced them during my work as well. Most of the tests can be completed with a multimeter

I had a similar issue. The fusible links checked out with a ohm meter as well as check engine light being on. Discovered there was a significant voltage drop across the ignition circuit. Replace the fusible link and all was well.

Update: 1/12/23 12:12PST
New Coil in!, Still no spark, had to order new ignitor, this time, its going to take a bit a time. Ordered from Amayama.

Update 1/29/23:
Friday installed new Ignitor, today I tested and still no spark.
I basically installed everything ignition related:
Ignitor
Distributor
Coil
Distributor Cap
Distributor Rotor
Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
I'm looking at replacing the crank sensor, and fusible link now

Update: 2/26/23:
New:
Crank Sensor
Fusible Link

Also inspected all the plugs/wires/sensor wires, and opened the ECU, nothing seems to be wrong with it, all resistors and caps look good.

Still no spark,
tested by removing wire from coil on the distributor side and grounding it to the engine block.

Still no spark,
tested by removing wire from coil on the distributor side and grounding it to the engine block.

You don't want to actually ground the wire. It's best to use one of the leads to the sparkplugs, attach a spare plug and ground the plug base and you should see the spark jump from the center electrode through the gap to the base.

You don't want to actually ground the wire. It's best to use one of the leads to the sparkplugs, attach a spare plug and ground the plug base and you should see the spark jump from the center electrode through the gap to the base.
I followed the diagram on the top left of this page

325116764_477246744611136_5538281477579220269_n (1).jpg

Last edited:
Image is to small, post it bigger
fixed the image

Here's a list of everything I've replaced:
-Air Cleaner
-Coil
-Crank Sensor
-Distributor
-Distributor O-Ring
-Distributor Cap
-Distributor Rotor
-Fusible Links
-Fusible Link Block
-Ignitor
-Land Tanks Blue Clutch Fan
-Oil
-Oil Filter
-Positive Crankcase Valve
-Positive Crankcase Hoses
-Solvefunction Shaky Mirror Fix
-Spark Plugs
-Spark Plug Wires
-Valve Cover Gaskets

It doesn't say to ground the lead as you stated above. Did you leave a gap to ground or not?

1677476703527.png

Does your CEL come on when you turn on the ignition (don't try and start it)? Also do you know if the security system is OEM or aftermarket? All the security systems I have removed from Land Cruisers involve a relay at the ignition switch which stops the starter even cranking.

Does your CEL come on when you turn on the ignition (don't try and start it)? Also do you know if the security system is OEM or aftermarket? All the security systems I have removed from Land Cruisers involve a relay at the ignition switch which stops the starter even cranking.
Yes Check Engine Light Turns On, and it has the OEM Security System. Starter Cranks hard.

At this point, you've exhausted the list of things to replace, so you're left with getting a multimeter and actually tracing the circuit. As per @n54zach suggestion above.

Update: 2/28/23-3/1/23 brought the LX450 to Top Shop Auto, in Lafayette California, they spent two days with the rig to find this wire was bad. Landcruiser started right up after their repair to it.

332072655_931506284688566_9104090134058971665_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom