show me your axe... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ere is my trusty ax/ Hatchet. It was my Uncle's Boy scout camp ax that I got when he passed and we were cleaning up his effects. Had to make a new handle for it since the old one was not safe to use after all the years.

Branded with the Boy Scout logo and made by Plumb.

ax.jpg
ax 3.jpg
ax 2.jpg

Found an old axe that my granddad had…Hults Bruk head on a beat up handle.
Re-hung it, and decided to start a collection.
Heres a HB Sarek splitting head that I sourced new…hung it on an HB “Kisa” handle that I obtained. Treated with boiled linseed oil, it’s now a favorite camp companion.

EA35EDCF-F68E-465E-A977-0F6DBB2FDEB5.jpeg

32393DFF-724A-48D8-A300-FB2EDE1AACD9.jpeg

CA05EED2-673D-4B79-9BAD-7D248D111DD9.jpeg

Last edited:
That Plumb is nice. I've got a little Marshal Wells "zenith" embossed(stamped) head I need to sharpen and hang. It's only 1.4 lbs so I'm stuck weighing pro/cons of various handle lengths for it.

How did it turn out?
I injured myself skiing a month ago and still recovering. Have not had the time to work on any of my axe projects even though I keep acquiring more. Like this Ranger Axe from the late 50's or early 60's. Still trying to research the historic details of it. But plan to restore and give to my son upon completion of his first Philmont Scout Camp experience. It's a Plumb National pattern head about 2.25lbs. I believe they were only issued for two summers with the Philmont brand. Don't know what years or how many exist in the wild.

I did pick up a nice handle for the Autograf above. Need to shape it a little to hang and decide how much restoration I want to give the head. On top of that is a couple BSA hatchets and a FS Pulaski.

s-l1600.jpeg

Last edited:
I injured myself skiing a month ago and still recovering. Have not had the time to work on any of my axe projects even though I keep acquiring more. Like this Ranger Axe from the late 50's or early 60's. Still trying to research the historic details of it. But plan to restore and give to my son upon completion of his first Philmont Scout Camp experience. It's a Plum National pattern head about 2.25lbs. I believe they were only issued for two summers with the Philmont brand. Don't know what years or how many exist in the wild.

I did pick up a nice handle for the Autograf above. Need to shape it a little to hang and decide how much restoration I want to give the head. On top of that is a couple BSA hatchets and a FS Pulaski.

View attachment 3256904
Cool Philmont axe!

still using this thing. It's been fantastic.
buddy who has one of those $200 hulk brut axes uses mine when we go out :cool:
oh man, your buddy's got no axe etiquette. all the old boys in forestry, guiding n other wilderness pursuits say "never borrow another man's axe" that's like asking to borrow his girl :grinpimp:
i've got a fiskars n a hults bruks in my axe armament n it depends what i'm up to which one falls to hand. they both do their required work well

My dad had a grinder and was the great killer of antique axes. We settled his and moms estate last year and I recovered the axe heads that were saveable. Here's an old Craftsman camp axe with a Bailey handle. Of course like most modern handles it was way too stout. Thinned it down a touch and like how it looks and feels now. Also reprofiled the bit to correct for the overenthusiastic application of grinder.

IMG_20230302_140057491.jpg

IMG_20230306_135941585.jpg

IMG_20230308_161030662.jpg

IMG_20230308_160956373.jpg

IMG_20230310_151921300.jpg

I have an Estwing that has been great for camping purposes

604974B7-AD36-4BA3-A8E6-AAAB174F77E9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom