Alternative Plate light power supply? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question for some of you more electrically inclined people out there... I recently started sorting out the rear tail lamps and plate light on an 84 FJ60. Aftr diving in I quickly realized I needed to make a whole new harness from the plug at right rear access panel to both lamp assemblies, side marker lights and a new ground wire at the factory ground point. I included the rear plate lamp into the harness making a clean new power wire to the lamp. Fished it through the factory hole, yadda yadda. I have a good ground, but the plate light wire gets no power all the way back to the clutch pedal area. So obviously it does not light up.

Previous owner had a lot of splices and cut wires into either red or black wires making things kind of confusing at first. I have deduced, during the harness making process, that the RED/white trace w blue dots SHOULD send power to the plate lamp. Pics included. It is the only unused wire color in either rear lamp assembly but present at the harness going to both.

I am under the impression that the 15 amp fuse in the 5 position which is the fuse for all the rear tail lights would include this wire, but I get no power. This wire is either broken really close to the power source, or I'm wrong and its not the right wire, or its on a different fuse? I see this wire at one other 2 pin plug
pictured where it also still does not have power. It is in a plug with a red/black wire, which DOES have power. Not sure what that plug goes to. possibly the front dome light? IDK

Does anyone see a problem with getting power from the running lights if I cannot restore power to my RED/white blue dots wire?
60 tail light plugs (2).jpeg

60 tail light plugs (1).jpeg
60 tail light plugs (3).jpeg
60 tail light plugs (4).jpeg

Last edited:
Cool thanks for all the great suggestions. haha :flipoff2:
I'll figure it out. If not, I ordered some LED bulbs and will go LED on the plate light bulbs and side marker lights and grab power from the marker lights. Reducing to led's SHOULD keep me from blowing any fuses.

While investigating all my different harnesses, found some chewed wires going into the charge light relay and repaired those. The charge light was/is working before the wire repair, although the light would not go out until I would rev the RPM's up a bit after start up. IF I didnt do that, the engine would die when removing the jump pack(my battery needs to be replaced after all of the baseline maint. is done)

Quick question for some of you more electrically inclined people out there... I recently started sorting out the rear tail lamps and plate light on an 84 FJ60. Aftr diving in I quickly realized I needed to make a whole new harness from the plug at right rear access panel to both lamp assemblies, side marker lights and a new ground wire at the factory ground point. I included the rear plate lamp into the harness making a clean new power wire to the lamp. Fished it through the factory hole, yadda yadda. I have a good ground, but the plate light wire gets no power all the way back to the clutch pedal area. So obviously it does not light up.

Previous owner had a lot of splices and cut wires into either red or black wires making things kind of confusing at first. I have deduced, during the harness making process, that the RED/white trace w blue dots SHOULD send power to the plate lamp. Pics included. It is the only unused wire color in either rear lamp assembly but present at the harness going to both.

I am under the impression that the 15 amp fuse in the 5 position which is the fuse for all the rear tail lights would include this wire, but I get no power. This wire is either broken really close to the power source, or I'm wrong and its not the right wire, or its on a different fuse? I see this wire at one other 2 pin plug
pictured where it also still does not have power. It is in a plug with a red/black wire, which DOES have power. Not sure what that plug goes to. possibly the front dome light? IDK

Does anyone see a problem with getting power from the running lights if I cannot restore power to my RED/white blue dots wire?
View attachment 3255439
View attachment 3255435View attachment 3255436View attachment 3255438

are you referring to your rear license plate / tag lamps assy. on the rear drop down tail gate ?

all your photos are of under your dash and what looks' to be your drivers side front engine bay wire harness through grommet location ?

is this what is giving you problems and the rear main tail lamps and side marker lamps chassis rear sill wire harness assy. .....
if so , your approaching this electrical issue a bit in the wrong way , with all do respect .....

also , upgrading to LED bulbs here WILL NOT prevent a fuse from blowing , you most likely have a short to ground in the rear tail lamps sub harness assy. that needs to be addressed , my FJ62's one was all chewed up from rocks and road debris flying up under the sill for 3 decades , and my rear license plate lamps assy. B+ power feed wire was severed inside the black rubber little accordion flex tube between tail gate and rear sill lower section , also simply from age and time wear and tear , i had actually 3 different repair areas back there that all needed to be addressed at one time to get my new lamp i installed above to work normally .....

go to page #7 of my build thread LINK below , you can see some of what you need to do here , and what all i was dealing with in addition to what you may have all going on too on your truck ...

6314acbe-115c-4512-803c-ce5b21cebc40-jpeg.3167504

ef420651-7fe8-46c4-9ff8-ca6098a0a5a6-jpeg.3167489

cfd322df-ebdd-4219-9464-4bd5494b0a15-jpeg.3167509

a0bd9c43-f2ab-440a-839a-f0ff3fd1257b-jpeg.3167518
040281d6-d328-4dcb-88df-57d8a9ca3716-jpeg.3167530

a0bd9c43-f2ab-440a-839a-f0ff3fd1257b-jpeg.3167518

04EF1D0F-DE31-430B-9778-C689E15DBB15_2048x.jpg

Last edited:
Hey @ToyotaMatt , Come on! this isn't my first trip around the 60 series. With all due respect, my issue is not a rotted light assembly. I have ground and no power all the way to the front somewhere near my fuse panel & If I'm not mistaken, all the rear lights SHOULD be on fuse circuit #5, yet one wire remains without power(very close to the fuse block)
I appreciate your response. I replaced all wiring from left rear quarter to tail lamps. In doing so, I assumed my license plate lamp assembly power, the (Red/W w blue dots)wire, which originates in the harness at the right side kick panel at the clutch pedal, has no power, all the way back to my plate light. It is NOT a grounding issue, as I have proper ground but need Power to complete the circuit and illuminate the lamp. I am quite positive the rear plate lamps have their own power wire and do not share a power lead with any of the other lamps in the rear( ie. brake light, reverse light, turn signals, marker lights). Since I have not been able to get power back on that Red/W blue dot wire, I assume to just grab power from on of the other above mentioned power sources( ie. marker lamp) and use all LED's as to reduce draw on the circuit.

My pictures show the front kick panel, because that's where the wires to the rear lights originate out of the fuse block. I have power on all the correct wire other than what supplies power to my plate light and I'm trying to trace it back to find a break in the wire or something. That's why I do not show any photos at the rear lamps.. no real reason..
All my wires from lamp assy through the tailgate down to the harness are new, not old or pinched or broken. I have ground, and no illumination... If I take a drill battery and only put + to my wire, I have light.
This picture is before i added the ring terminals for the grounds to the chassis
60 lamps.jpeg

Last edited:
For reference.. the picture below is the wiring I removed. Had to start all over from the main harness plug at the rear. The blue plugs were fused together with no hope of separating and it had terminals rotted out. It could not stay. This old wiring was a very poor attempt by someone to rewire new tail light housings into the 60. Lots of poor decisions were made by the PO. Hopefully he didn't pay anyone to create this mess.
60 removed wire.jpeg

You indicated your rear side marker lights were working correct ?

Are your rear tail lamps / running lamps working properly when you click your light switch to the first step ?

You indicated your rear side marker lights were working correct ?

Are your rear tail lamps / running lamps working properly when you click your light switch to the first step ?
All other lights working properly in the rear. The rear lamps I believe work properly on step one on the stalk.
I grabbed power from the side markers and all is working properly. Still, I want to restore power on the correct wire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom