Solvefunction’s ashtray CB mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lee at Solvefunction knocked out this CB ash tray mount for our 80 Series. Built around the President Bill micro CB which gets great reviews. Slides in using the ash tray rails. Easy install that looks OEM and allows you to easily replace the ash tray by just sliding the CB out. It’s on his website now for purchase. THANKS LEE!

B2DB2697-C753-4611-A2D3-CE5CE5F80959.jpeg

I have several things from Solvefuntion and all of them have been top quality!

Thank you

this does require pulling the dash face off and pulling the ashtray mount.

You will likely need to do this when routing the antenna and power.

Well I’m showing my ignorance I guess but can anyone tell me how to pull the dash face off. I have spent the last 60 minutes searching the forum and can’t find any posts referencing dash face. Plenty regarding removing the dash but I hope that’s not required.

Maybe I found it. Is this the procedure?

1. The surround trim piece is removed by sliding the ashtray out, and removing two screws located on either side of the opening.
2. Remove the 'cup holder' cover (that is the funny opening at the top right hand side) by inserting a small flat screwdriver into the tabs on the upper part.
3. Once steps 1 & 2 are done you can slowly pull the surrounding trim off from the dash. After this you have to remove the ash tray slide as well.
4. To install the CB, the two tabs that have the holes for the screws (removed in step 1) need to be trimmed down. The upper and inside lip have to trimmed down about 1/4". This is a try and fit procedure. The fit is fairly tight but that is good since you will not attach the CB to anything once it is installed.
It is real tight once it is installed.

This procedure looks good,

4. Is remove plastic slides from ashtray mount.

5. Paint front of ashtray mount black, this is only visible from a low angle.

6. bolt in New mounts using the provided m3 bolts and nuts.
20230127_210235.jpg

7. Slide in device, there is a positive click feeling when in the right spot.

20230127_210152.jpg

8. Reassemble.

9. Have a beer, post pictures and wait for the unhelpful cb comments.

10. Listen to truckers talk about Lot lizards.

Silly question but I must ask. Can we confirm fitment for 91-92 FJ80 & 93-94 FZJ80? your pics look to be the 95-97 OBD2 FZJ80 boys.

Midland MXT115 may be smaller. I have the MXT105 but it seems like they don't make it any more.

Just picked up one of the new President Thomas FCC AM/FM CB radios. I think it's going to require some surgery to fit, but here's the dimensions in case it's possible to mod your mount.
4 7/8"wide by 2 3/4" tall by 7" deep/long (sans dials)
RU9Wqr.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom