Let's baseline my grandma's neglected, (20 year old to us) 1997 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

People use the 100 series pads for the front too.

Napa calipers used to be good and had a solid rep. Nowadays I think it’s hit or miss.

Check out mcgeorge Toyota. They have brand new OEM calipers on sale Shipped for around $150. @flintknapper just bought a set iirc.
oh man. 150? that's cheaper than my go to dealer which is at 164

oh man. 150? that's cheaper than my go to dealer which is at 164
Not all Toyota Dealers are created equal. MSRP does NOT mean that tit is the same number with every Toyota dealer. This is well documented.

I have 5 dealerships within 50 miles of my house. I have sent a significant list to all of them for their pricing. The one closest to my hose ended up being the least expensive. One other was within a few dollars. The other three were +40%, +100%, +115%. When I started looking, the most expensive one gave me the highest discount % off MSRP. But they adjusted the MSRP to be over twice that of the other dealerships.

Yes, this is a known practice with them.

I buy most of my parts from McGeorge Toyota because they are delivered to my door for less than I can drive 5 miles to my nearest dealership. And that INCLUDES the freight.

www.partsouq.com

Not all Toyota Dealers are created equal. MSRP does NOT mean that tit is the same number with every Toyota dealer. This is well documented.

I have 5 dealerships within 50 miles of my house. I have sent a significant list to all of them for their pricing. The one closest to my hose ended up being the least expensive. One other was within a few dollars. The other three were +40%, +100%, +115%. When I started looking, the most expensive one gave me the highest discount % off MSRP. But they adjusted the MSRP to be over twice that of the other dealerships.

I buy most of my parts from McGeorge Toyota because they are delivered to my door for less than I can drive 5 miles to my nearest dealership. And that INCLUDES the freight.

www.partsouq.com
I will also second on McGeorge.
Toyota Parts Deal is good for me also, but the shipping can be higher than McGeorge.
Sometimes, I find a better deal by 40% at Lithia (Toyota Dealership), but it's an hour drive for me...which is still worth it. Plus, I'll make a day of it and stop to see my mom since her place is literally on the way.

ok! I didn't have time to get started on the wheel bearings but I did get to find the clogged sunroof drain and unclog it. It was clogged by fallen leaves.

View attachment 3240138

View attachment 3240140

View attachment 3240141

View attachment 3240142

View attachment 3240143
My drain plug openings looked just like yours! It was a sludge/mud mess! They're free of dirt all the way down...I haven't had any seepage into the cab/floorboard since Saturday. Bonus...my sunroof is fully sealed now!

People use the 100 series pads for the front too.

Napa calipers used to be good and had a solid rep. Nowadays I think it’s hit or miss.

Check out mcgeorge Toyota. They have brand new OEM calipers on sale Shipped for around $150. @flintknapper just bought a set iirc.

2 new front calipers $366.00 to my door. That's a pretty good deal.

Brake Calipers LC.jpg

New Brake Calipers1.jpg

100 series front brake pads will fit on our 80 series but don't put them on expecting improved braking. IF there is any difference...it isn't noticeable. What IS noticeable (to me) is longer pad life, since they are thicker than 80 series pads. I do use them on my 80 series for that reason, but also because I only have to keep one type of pads on hand for both my 80 series and 100 series.

Brake Pads Front.jpg

View attachment 3253859

View attachment 3253866

100 series front brake pads will fit on our 80 series but don't put them on expecting improved braking. IF there is any difference...it isn't noticeable. What IS noticeable (to me) is longer pad life, since they are thicker than 80 series pads. I do use them on my 80 series for that reason, but also because I only have to keep one type of pads on hand for both my 80 series and 100 series.

View attachment 3253872
This is such a useful perspective!

My drain plug openings looked just like yours! It was a sludge/mud mess! They're free of dirt all the way down...I haven't had any seepage into the cab/floorboard since Saturday. Bonus...my sunroof is fully sealed now!
It rained a few nights ago and the day after I checked my carpet and it's DRY!

View attachment 3253859

View attachment 3253866

View attachment 3253872
Awesome! I'll save these to cart. Did you have to disassemble the caliper and lubricate the pins or are they already set? That's a nice wheel hub. Did you coat it with protectant or is that from the dealership?

www.partsouq.com
Yup! The toyota/lexus dealerships within driving distance of me are 100% MSRP but the lexus dealership a 50 min drive from me, which is located at an affluent area, has steep discounts. But the McGeorge Toyota wins at price. I'll check out how much to deliver to my doorstep.

Here is the driver side floor. It's very damp and there's a puddle of water at the edge where the door shuts closed. From reading the other thread on here, it sounds like the sunroof drains are clogged. As soon as the temperature rises back into the high 40s, I'll go and inspect it.

I'll go and take care of replacing both front wheel bearings since there's play at 12 and 6 o'clock and I notice that the truck pulls to one side when braking.

View attachment 3239319

View attachment 3239320
This was a super helpful post - thank you! I am in the process of swapping out my stereo and pulled up my carpet to find this wet and rusty (bummer). I guess I need to add this to the list - was there a mud thread that you found most helpful to clean out the sun roof drains?

This was a super helpful post - thank you! I am in the process of swapping out my stereo and pulled up my carpet to find this wet and rusty (bummer). I guess I need to add this to the list - was there a mud thread that you found most helpful to clean out the sun roof drains?
yes check out:

Post in thread '1997 FzJ80 - Let's Begin a Baseline!' 1997 FzJ80 - Let's Begin a Baseline! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1997-fzj80-lets-begin-a-baseline.1288374/post-14833783

@DirtyPepper details out his ordeal with his sunroof so I checked mine out because the symptoms looked similar to mine.

While I wait for the new brake calipers to arrive, I want to revisit an issue I've been having with my fuel tank. It is overfilling. The gas pump doesn't shut off when the tank is already full. By the time it stops pumping gas, there is already gas dripping down onto the ground.

What are some ways I can start diagnosing the issue? I have the FSM and was thinking to use my smoke machine to find a possible leak but I'm not sure which entry point to start at. I was thinking I could start at the return hose from the charcoal canister and see if there is any leak coming out of the rear, but it sounds like I'd have to open the valve but I don't know how to open that with the engine off.

I could also start to perform the EVAP tests on the FSM starting with checking the ports of the charcoal canister then going to the VCV port to test the TVV and VSV function.

Screenshot_20230222_212643_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

the New calipers I got from McGeorge toyota arrived yesterday and put them on today. It was actually not too bad of a job. I didn't get to finish bleeding the brakes though because of the weather but I think I need to put some Teflon tape on the screws because I can't hold a vacuum around the threads. I tried putting some brake fluid around but it didn't hold once I loosened the bleeder screw.

20230310_115838.jpg

20230310_151122.jpg

I ended up asking my brother for help to bleed the brakes the old way. It's a lot faster.

Up next is taking it to a shop to get the fuel leak diagnosed.

the New calipers I got from McGeorge toyota arrived yesterday and put them on today. It was actually not too bad of a job. I didn't get to finish bleeding the brakes though because of the weather but I think I need to put some Teflon tape on the screws because I can't hold a vacuum around the threads. I tried putting some brake fluid around but it didn't hold once I loosened the bleeder screw.

View attachment 3269053

View attachment 3269054
are you replacing calipers with OEM brakes or are these an improvement? Curious if I need to add brake upgrade to my list too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom