Danish landcruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for posting all the pictures. I noticed that your passenger side front leaf is marked with a "+". If the Driver's side doesn't also have that, you need to switch sides. Great story and build thread.

@MoaByte I actually noticed that there is a slight difference, and that the paint was different on each leaf spring. Great piece of advice. I will check for that!

And.. I h8 to complicate things, but I have found conflicting information on this. Cruiser Outfiters site says the arrow is to point to the fixed end, meaning the military wrap goes on the pinned side. Others have said that the military wrap goes on the shackle side. I am trying to figure this out as I have the arrows (military wrap side) on the fixed ends. It has worked just fine that way except I'm getting a little tire rub on the front lower corner of the fender with true 33 inch tires when one corner gets stuffed on the trail. Is the front axle closer to the military wrap then the other end?

Cool! Maybe someone will set us straight. It seems to me the short side should be pinned, but I've never seen any other vehicles with the shackles in the front like our rigs.

I learned 2 new things. The axle sits in the middle of the spring on the front of the 60. The military wrap is a safety feature to keep your axle from getting too wonky if you break a spring so it is intended to be on the fixed end. I hope that helps you as much as me. I was about to pull my springs and put them on backwards 🤣. Not that it would matter unless the spring broke like the ones I replaced 5 years ago.

Alright then. Things have moving along nicely with the sandwich the past week.

I went to the Toyota dealership and got my new oil seal. They gave me the wrong one, but I saw that immediately, so they looked up their system and found the correct one instead. It feels kinda good to know your way around your car.

Got it installed along with the axle which I greased up pretty well in the Birfield joint. I didn't disassemble and inspect the Birfield. I'll save that operation for another good time.

Assembling the knuckle joint went pretty smooth as well as installing the new bearings.

Here's some pics.

@MoaByte I talked to my leaf spring dealer, and he told me something else with the plus on the springs. That it had to do with the tolerances of the springs. However he told me that the exact same as you with the military strap, so I turned them around. Thanks a lot.

20201006_160520.jpg
20201006_160531.jpg
20201007_144032.jpg

20201006_131929.jpg

It's been some time since latest update, so here goes. Project is moving onwards. Slowly but steadily.

I'm trying to find a way to get a new exhaust for the car. Old one has holes and is pretty rusty. Also it would be a shame to put an old exhaust like that on a good looking car like that. Trying to find someone who can weld me a stainless system, but I can't find anyone who will do it for less than 1000$.

I bought new u-joints and am awaiting the shipment. Once they're received the propellershaft will be installed. The old ones have. Been soaking in diesel for too long and now they're covered in tard-like sludge...

I sanded the gas tank and painted it. Looking decent to me. I can't install it before the chassis is installed though.

Next up I will install the engine on the new mounts. Can't. Freaking. Wait.

For the chassis, I'm going to install it with the dents and scratches and decide how I like the toughened up look.

😀😀😀😀😀😀

20210515_164656.jpg

20210530_164929.jpg
20210515_145734.jpg
20210515_135905.jpg

Before I install the engine I want the prop shaft installed. I've received the new U-joints and was ready to install til I remembered how the propshaft heads were looking. Also soaked in tard-like diesel.

After two hours of cleaning I took them to the wire brush and feel ready to put some paint on them. However I noticed that there is no end cap on the one of them.

I guess that's not how it's supposed to be. Can anyone confirm? Any good advice on how to put a new end cap in there?

20210724_125604.jpg

Before I install the engine I want the prop shaft installed. I've received the new U-joints and was ready to install til I remembered how the propshaft heads were looking. Also soaked in tard-like diesel.

After two hours of cleaning I took them to the wire brush and feel ready to put some paint on them. However I noticed that there is no end cap on the one of them.

I guess that's not how it's supposed to be. Can anyone confirm? Any good advice on how to put a new end cap in there?

View attachment 2739852
My front one is missing. It doesn’t affect it too much. I don’t use the front very often, but if I did I would want to put the cap back on to keep dust and debris out of the splines.

Time for an update!

Exhaust
My buddy who runs a 62 Impala in mint condition has a cousin who'll weld me a new exhaust in stainless. Awesome! I just need to buy all the parts necessary for welding the exhaust. Does anyone have a list that I can crosscheck with the looks of the old exhaust pipe? Haven't tried this before.

Cabin
In spite of what I decided earlier, I am pretty sure, that I will have all the dents fixed and the entire cabin painted professionally. This means that it will take a bit time until the cabin is installed.

Despite what one might think the project is still alive! And i have one question... The AC wiring harness has this one connector which I'm not sure where goes. Anyone recognize it? @NeverGiveUpYota

Added a photo of the current status.

PXL_20230218_170626213.jpg

PXL_20230213_143136504.jpg

Despite what one might think the project is still alive! And i have one question... The AC wiring harness has this one connector which I'm not sure where goes. Anyone recognize it? @NeverGiveUpYota

Added a photo of the current status.

View attachment 3251721

View attachment 3251722
Looks like you got your answer on fb unless someone else had nearly the same question and photo just a bit ago? Haha. Sorry I don’t get on here much these days.

Cabin
In spite of what I decided earlier, I am pretty sure, that I will have all the dents fixed and the entire cabin painted professionally. This means that it will take a bit time until the cabin is installed.

I'd get the cabin installed prior to dent fixing etc.. its just easier at a good height, on a rolling platform and well secured - plus there's no chance you'll put in new dents afterwards as you store it, move it around, then drop it into place on the chassis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom