Griffin Radiator Experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for thoughts from those who've run it. With electric fans or without. How do you like it, where did you put the tranny cooler and did that cause any issues, what's your climate like etc. At what point (outside air temp) do you WANT that tranny fluid warmed up instead of cooled, and how do you accomplish that? Thanks for any feedback!

@Krazytoy @scottryana @miamibrando @NCFJ @audi2nr and @NLXTACY (Yeah I know you're RD and that's prettier, but you also mentioned liking the idea of more rows with a tranny line delete.)

I stopped using Griffin when they started epoxying their tanks on rather than welding.

I stopped using Griffin when they started epoxying their tanks on rather than welding.
Hmmm. Wasn't aware of that. Went looking and found this on the website:

Griffin also adds a unique manufacturing step to assure long life. Each Griffin radiator is reinforced with a special high temperature epoxy that provides additional tube to header strength and helps prevent vibration failure. This process is Q-1 approved by Ford Motor Company, one of the toughest quality standards in the industry.

Not entirely clear whether that means in addition to welds or place of, only in those locations, etc.

Last edited:
spend the extra coin on a ron davis, the fit and finish of the griffin sucks turds compared to RD. The griffin was around 900 on sale through jegs and the griffin works well so far but has not been through a summer yet.

Yup. No bueno IMO
In a 45 not an 80 but had three leak in short order in same place and they would not warranty another because it was past 1yr of original unit purchase. 🙄

Yup. No bueno IMO
In a 45 not an 80 but had three leak in short order in same place and they would not warranty another because it was past 1yr of original unit purchase. 🙄
Where was that spot, again? If this is an ongoing issue and not some transitory manufacturing issue (like Mr. T's mid-90s HGs)--you'd think the name and the price would take a hit. Dunno what your usage is like (mild, average, extreme) but I did find this in a (gasp!) Jeep forum: "A dual pass aluminum rad will cool better. Griffin, CSF, Mishimoto are all popular brands. Just be aware that due to the stiffness of these aluminum radiators, when used in the flexy JK they all tend to develop leaks around the 3-4 year mark. I'm on my 3rd CSF rad and have been told by a source I trust 1000% that all brands will eventually leak in the JK. Use of GM conditioning tablets helps control leaks, seepage and electrolysis."

Last edited:
This was on a cross flow rad with side tanks. The leak was in the same spot where the tubes entered the driver side tank (outlet side). Top row each time. I believe these were epoxied as well as NCFJ mentioned. The tanks were welded but tubes epoxied from what I recall of similar stories on a corvette forum. Mild usage on street in front of a SBC and mech fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom