Spare Parts for 80 series (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Headed across country to Moab in April. What spare parts would you keep in your rig? Searched the forum, but only found 100 series list.

• fusible links (if your current one is old and in tired shape, buy two and keep the second one as a spare
  • Tools to remove a Drive shaft and a CDL switch installed
  • Puncture kit and compressor
  • Factory Jack and a square of 2x6
  • FSM (paper or .pdf)
Pre-trip check on major systems:
cooling system
Brake fluid
E brake function
Trans fluid
Air filter
Engine oil
Differentisls
Ujoints
t-case

It goes on forever…if you wheel it hard, you probably already know what might brake. Otherwise, it’s an old truck and only you know the state of its reliability/ maintenance history. But check the major systems. Bring a spare fusible link, because it’s a deal breaker and hard to safely jury rig.

I think you’re gonna get a range of opinions, but get your rig dialed in and be reasonably ready to fix unexpected problems.

Thats what I bring for a Sahara (thats a bit more remote compared to the middle west) trip:

Belts
Knucklestuds/Nuts
1 CV Joint
U-joint bearings
Front Wheel Bearing kit
Solenoids for fuel pump/EFI
fusible link(s)
Fuel pump
cooling hoses
thermostat
radiator cap
valve cover seal
Sparksplugs/Wires
distributor housing and finger
various nuts/bolts incl. wheel
for all kind of makeshift repairs: wire, cable, gun gum, exhaust wrap, liquid sealant, Sikaflex PU-Adhesive, selfsealing isolation tape,
fluids

and a head gasket (from experience you never need exactly those parts, you have on board ;)

Its clear, that preventive maintenance is all done (the cooling hoses I take with me are e.g. the old ones) before the trip (and not during the trip - some seem to like it that way)
And you can cut the list down in places where you have carparts stores, a toyota dealership, capable workshops and even commercial offroad recovery services 24/7 available.

Regards Simon

Agree with others, and feel it really depends what you have and haven't base-lined.
For example, if you've refreshed your cooling and steering systems (with OEM parts), unlikely you will need anything in those areas.
Also depends what obstacles you intend to tackle. If you decide to rock crawl - but you built your rig for overlanding - recommend extra parts related to potential failures of underside things like lower control arms and drive shafts.
And/or protection items such as rock sliders and increased under body protection.
If your rig has the factory engine and your u/j's are fresh, unlikely you'll break any drive line items. But if you're running a 400hp V8, you might need more spares in relation to what is still factory and vintage (not yet refreshed).
And don't forget your 'Plan B pills' - things you may need (which are appropriate for conditions) in case you're stranded for a night - food, clothing, liquids, warmth layers, cover, wind protection, fire starter and fuel, etc.

For moab trips, I bring fluids, grease, and a set of wheel bearings. You’ll be in Utah so cruiser outfitters will be able to ship stuff over to you fairly quickly too
and while I wouldn’t lean heavily on on ih8mud as a rescue board, I have no doubt that a willing crew would come to your aid and help you do a parking lot repair if you had to limp out of the backcountry and make a repair at the parts store. UT isn’t the middle of oz, it’s not the Sahara neither, but there are corners of it that will make it a long tricky walk out of your rig breaks down. So @LandLocked93’s advice for plan B gear is important: plenty of water, some food, cold weather clothing. Maybe also another rig to explore with?

For moab trips, I bring fluids, grease, and a set of wheel bearings. You’ll be in Utah so cruiser outfitters will be able to ship stuff over to you fairly quickly too

We ship stuff to Moab very regularly, same day delivery with couriers (or I drive down) or next day with ground UPS :D

We ship stuff to Moab very regularly, same day delivery with couriers (or I drive down) or next day with ground UPS :D
Take note OP! Get that number on speed dial. You may want to brake down on purpose just to experience the love that is @cruiseroutfit!

You can limp back to civilization with most issues so just carry some basic spares. If your starter is old or questionable that would be worth swapping out before the trip.

The only times my cruiser died were wiring, starter or electrical related so I bring extra fuses, a multimeter, and a pdf copy of the fsm and wiring diagrams.

You can limp back to civilization with most issues so just carry some basic spares. If your starter is old or questionable that would be worth swapping out before the trip.

The only times my cruiser died were wiring, starter or electrical related so I bring extra fuses, a multimeter, and a pdf copy of the fsm and wiring diagrams.
Thank you! Actually just replaced the starter yesterday!

I always carry these basics on any trip as a bare minimum to rig up temporary fixes. Trail fixes just need to get you to somewhere you can fix it properly. A patch job if you will.

A few feet of heater hose in both main sizes 1/2" and 5/8"
Self-fusing tape for patching other hoses and maybe a couple splicing connectors/extra clamps so you can cut out bad sections
A few feet of fuel line in 1/4", 3/16" and 5/16" and extra clamps
Spare fuses, relays, and some lengths of wire with some crimp connectors and the associated tools
Jumper Cables
RTV sealant
Bailing wire or other heavy duty wire for rigging things together
spare nuts and bolts in oe sizes
duct tape
spare fluids and grease

These will be enough to patch up most issues at least long enough to get off the trail and where more parts are available to do it right. I don't carry axles or anything like that usually, because worst case on these rigs as long as the spindle isn't broken, you can pull the shafts, lock the center diff, and limp out in 2wd with help from a tow strap. Basically the way I see it is I need to keep electricity and fluids flowing to prevent catastrophic damage. Much more than that can wait until I get into town, or its so broken it's probably not going to be trail fixable anyway

If I was going into super remote wilderness I may pack more, but I'm usually wheeling with other rigs and often other 80s, so worst case we could use another truck to get to camp, pull parts of someone else's rig to go back and get the stranded one up and going again.

I always carry these basics on any trip as a bare minimum to rig up temporary fixes. Trail fixes just need to get you to somewhere you can fix it properly. A patch job if you will.

A few feet of heater hose in both main sizes 1/2" and 5/8"
Self-fusing tape for patching other hoses and maybe a couple splicing connectors/extra clamps so you can cut out bad sections
A few feet of fuel line in 1/4", 3/16" and 5/16" and extra clamps
Spare fuses, relays, and some lengths of wire with some crimp connectors and the associated tools
Jumper Cables
RTV sealant
Bailing wire or other heavy duty wire for rigging things together
spare nuts and bolts in oe sizes
duct tape
spare fluids and grease

These will be enough to patch up most issues at least long enough to get off the trail and where more parts are available to do it right. I don't carry axles or anything like that usually, because worst case on these rigs as long as the spindle isn't broken, you can pull the shafts, lock the center diff, and limp out in 2wd with help from a tow strap. Basically the way I see it is I need to keep electricity and fluids flowing to prevent catastrophic damage. Much more than that can wait until I get into town, or its so broken it's probably not going to be trail fixable anyway

If I was going into super remote wilderness I may pack more, but I'm usually wheeling with other rigs and often other 80s, so worst case we could use another truck to get to camp, pull parts of someone else's rig to go back and get the stranded one up and going again.
These are awesome!!!! Thank you very much!!!!

T minus 14 days lol I hope I don't have to call but I have the credit card ready lol I assume I can reach you on here or call the shop 🤣

I also hope you don't need to call us. But we'll have multiple shipments heading to Moab that week with employees. 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom