1FZFE 5.2L Turbo Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It murdered a headgasket walking up to ~13psi of boost on the dyno, so that's all you get for now. Multi-layer steel Cometic going in tomorrow...

Wow! You can still post the dyno videos. I know you were videoing that shizz!

You were running a factory head gasket? Not surprised it committed seppuku. What about improved head studs, or do you know if they are OK with boost?
I put 35 PSI into a 1985 Jetta Turbo Diesel with just a MLS gasket and ARP studs. For a little while, anyway...

Wow! You can still post the dyno videos. I know you were videoing that shizz!

You were running a factory head gasket? Not surprised it committed seppuku. What about improved head studs, or do you know if they are OK with boost?
I put 35 PSI into a 1985 Jetta Turbo Diesel with just a MLS gasket and ARP studs. For a little while, anyway...
It has a few hundred dollars worth of fancy Supra head studs. The MLS gaskets are just now back in stock; timely...

Redrum... Should be back together on Friday.

Tuning will be tricky, because we're getting metric f'ktons of torque mid-range on low boost (pushing ~500 lb ft to wheels @ 6psi), but want to run more PSI up high for HP... Ideally, we can get a flatter torque curve so we don't murder the transmission too.

IMG_20230215_112324_01.jpg

20230215_122210.jpg

20230215_122352.jpg

I pulled a lot of timing out of the low end to keep things alive. Still on stock head gasket at 15psi for 9 years.
Your headgasket and my headgasket are not from the same gene pool, apparently... mine didn't survive 9 hours. 🤪

Your headgasket and my headgasket are not from the same gene pool, apparently... mine didn't survive 9 hours. 🤪
Well you are also running a smaller turbo, (Edit *** Sorry I went back and saw you might have changed turbos, your first post said you were using a 61lb/min turbo but it looks like you ended up going with a 7670, which is what I have***). which means you will move the peak torque further down the RPM range. I also think there might have been a detonation event.... I have pushed as high as 19psi and I my OEM head gasket still lives.

I would look at pulling timing down low and you should be able to set boost by RPM. With the extra displacement you are going to have a lot of cylinder pressure down low. Going to pull like a freight train!!!

Last edited:
Well you are also running a smaller turbo, (Edit *** Sorry I went back and saw you might have changed turbos, your first post said you were using a 61lb/min turbo but it looks like you ended up going with a 7670, which is what I have***). which means you will move the peak torque further down the RPM range. I also think there might have been a detonation event.... I have pushed as high as 19psi and I my OEM head gasket still lives.

I would look at pulling timing down low and you should be able to set boost by RPM. With the extra displacement you are going to have a lot of cylinder pressure down low. Going to pull like a freight train!!!
They're something like 10-12° out already, and it's still an absolute monster... I'll be really curious to see what our next dyno runs look like...

The block pic looks like you nuked 1 to 2 AND 4 to 5 to 6?!?
1-2 was gone; fully gapped. 5-6 was going. 4 thought it might be fun someday...

pics like that make me glad i preemptively got rid of my HG before the turbo.
All in the name of progress tho 👍

Where did you get the MLS head gasket?
Cometic, via some distributor the race shop uses. There are finally some in stock here and there.

Head gasket fixed with MLS. Easily makes >500 lb ft and 320+ hp at the wheels on 35" mud tires. Torque falls off around 4,250 rpm regardless of tune... It could make WAY more torque mid-range at higher boost; but we're sandbagging down low to save the transmission.

I'm just going to target 500 lb ft max torque, and let the hp fall wherever it lands. Should be well within tolerance for engine reliability.

Head gasket fixed with MLS. Easily makes >500 lb ft and 320+ hp at the wheels on 35" mud tires. Torque falls off around 4,250 rpm regardless of tune... It could make WAY more torque mid-range at higher boost; but we're sandbagging down low to save the transmission.

I'm just going to target 500 lb ft max torque, and let the hp fall wherever it lands. Should be well within tolerance for engine reliability.
Nice work! Glad you got the gasket fixed, hope you can actually get some seat time in it before you let it go, the new found power is extremely fun. What boost pressures were you running? Can you post up a graph when you get a chance? i'd love to see how the power comes in vs my 4.5.

Reactions: JMM
asking price? 😁
😁

asking price? 😁
😁
Average 80 is about $30k (classic.com). I'd probably start mine @ ~$50k in the wild, but would flex into $40k's for an easy deal to a good home... which is basically combined engine/upgrade cost + a free Cruiser. 🤣

(Otherwise, my dealer friend is willing to buy it for resale, sharing commission on the upside.)

They keep making dyno runs without me...
It's imperative that you tell them a rando on the internet said this is unacceptable!

You're becoming like the kid in high school that swears he has a hot girlfriend, but she lives in Canada. And he doesn't have any pictures of her.

I hope you know I'm just messing with you. It's a freaking badass project, and I just want to watch a gas 80 make cool turbo noises and chirp second gear!

It's imperative that you tell them a rando on the internet said this is unacceptable!

You're becoming like the kid in high school that swears he has a hot girlfriend, but she lives in Canada. And he doesn't have any pictures of her.

I hope you know I'm just messing with you. It's a freaking badass project, and I just want to watch a gas 80 make cool turbo noises and chirp second gear!

I concur!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom