Diesel air cleaner on 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Besides being just plane wrong and insulting , how bad is it to mount an fj40 diesel air cleaner on a 2f?
012-20H2HAC.gif

It’s an air cleaner, there’s zero harm. They are all the same aside from how they mount and the piping. The cyclonic boxes with dust collector is common design shared on gas and diesel trucks for ROW.

Question: why? Diesel parts are significantly harder and more expensive to source, and it would require making extra brackets to mount it

Besides being just plane wrong and insulting , how bad is it to mount an fj40 diesel air cleaner on a 2f?
012-20H2HAC.gif

The diagram looks like a 60 series not from any 40 series. They did make a cyclone air cleaner for the 40 series 2F.
P1060954.JPG
P1060957.JPG

These were primarily used in Australia on 40 series. The one pictured above would probably be fairly easy to use on the 3FE in our FJ62.

The diagram looks like a 60 series not from any 40 series. They did make a cyclone air cleaner for the 40 series 2F.
View attachment 3251014View attachment 3251013
These were primarily used in Australia on 40 series. The one pictured above would probably be fairly easy to use on the 3FE in our FJ62.
The one I assumed the diagram pointed to is the bj4x. It sits nicely on the passenger side with the same style inlet hose.

My vote goes with the ROW air cleaners for 2F, they are far better (like @Living in the Past posted).

012-20H2HAC.gif
I was looking to do this on my 40 when I was going through the rebuild process, I never found o e for a reasonable price, plus I think there were other mods that would have needed to be done. If I remember right the battery would need to be relocated.

I wound up finding a middle eastern filter housing from a 43 a few hour drive away.

The one I assumed the diagram pointed to is the bj4x. It sits nicely on the passenger side with the same style inlet hose.

My vote goes with the ROW air cleaners for 2F, they are far better (like @Living in the Past posted).

I was looking to do this on my 40 when I was going through the rebuild process, I never found o e for a reasonable price, plus I think there were other mods that would have needed to be done. If I remember right the battery would need to be relocated.

I wound up finding a middle eastern filter housing from a 43 a few hour drive away.

Amayama shows different brackets to mount in a BJ42. The cyclone is very hard to find outside of Australia.for a 40 series. The engine I pictured I bought and is still in Australia. It was purchased to get the air cleaner. By the numbers on the diagram posted this is from SOR's online catalog. Guess if your in Southern California could stop by SOR and maybe inspect what they have. Besides the dust can on the bottom they have a wing inside.
P1070670 (1).JPG
P1070671 (2).JPG

Instead of a BJ42 might try for an FJ60 cyclone air cleaner. Those are made to fit the carburated 2F.

Question: why? Diesel parts are significantly harder and more expensive to source, and it would require making extra brackets to mount it
That depends on where in the world you are. My side of the block, diesels are more common than petrols, especially with the 45s. I see probably 3x more 2H powered 45s than 2F powered.

In the 70s and 80s here they pulled the 2Fs out at the dealers and replaced with 2Hs. Only until about 2 months ago, petrol was more expensive than diesel

That depends on where in the world you are. My side of the block, diesels are more common than petrols, especially with the 45s. I see probably 3x more 2H powered 45s than 2F powered.

In the 70s and 80s here they pulled the 2Fs out at the dealers and replaced with 2Hs. Only until about 2 months ago, petrol was more expensive than diesel

I know the diesel HJ47 and BJ42 had superior numbers over the FJ40 and FJ45. Looking at Amayama Trading I see cyclone air cleaners for FJ40, FJ45, HJ47 8/80 and later. But do not show Australian market having them on the BJ42 which I find hard to believe. Figure the BJ42 was more common than the FJ40 and would have a cyclone air cleaner as well. Being your in the land of Qz where a large percentage of 40 series were imported have you seen cyclone air cleaners on the BJ42?

I know it's not the cyclone style style. What make this a snow version? I have the cold weather version for a 73. Those have a damper that changes the intake to a tube facing the engine by the exhaust manifold.

i do not think it's a cyclone type either ...

all the fancy new OEM hardware and , decal and the long reach breather hose complete with spring tension gold plated clamps ,.....

make it the most SEXY oem air box i have ever Pulled off ..... :D

see John ,

take a gander at the TECH VIDEO below , make sure you CLICK ON the sound , and Turn up the Volume ...

then report back ....

thanks

I know the diesel HJ47 and BJ42 had superior numbers over the FJ40 and FJ45. Looking at Amayama Trading I see cyclone air cleaners for FJ40, FJ45, HJ47 8/80 and later. But do not show Australian market having them on the BJ42 which I find hard to believe. Figure the BJ42 was more common than the FJ40 and would have a cyclone air cleaner as well. Being your in the land of Qz where a large percentage of 40 series were imported have you seen cyclone air cleaners on the BJ42?
I'm in Zimbabwe, BJ42s are super rate here. In fact, all 40s are rare. It's the 45s we get.

In fact, off the top of my head, the only BJ40 I've seen was a LX model with the 3B in it. Can't remember what air cleaner it had

I'm in Zimbabwe, BJ42s are super rate here. In fact, all 40s are rare. It's the 45s we get.

In fact, off the top of my head, the only BJ40 I've seen was a LX model with the 3B in it. Can't remember what air cleaner it had

My mistake. I remember being RHD and thought around Perth in Western Australia. I joined an Australian FB group few years ago but haven't looked there in a long time. Generally yanks aren't real popular other than those cashing in on higher prices because of an increased demand for them in the US. The rest blame us for inflated prices for the hobby there. Maybe @FJ40GURU has some insight on BJ42 air cleaners in Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom