Looking for a high capacity radiator for my 91 HDJ81. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking for a respectable hd/high capacity radiator. 3/4 rows and maybe even a 3 pass. I’ve never overheated, but have gone up to 238-240°F over some long passes. It always comes right back down after the summit, but would like a little more capacity to not have the extremes. I’m on a Gturbo green, 18psi, and intercooled. Highest egt I’ve ever seen was 1205°f (preturbo) pulling up from 2500ft to 10kft. It was a very long grade. I’m going to be making the same trek in June, and I’m just preemptively getting a few things taken care of.

Thanks

Last edited:
16400-17020
I'm in the same boat OP and this or something from Griffin is definitely the move. My local dealership wants $1k cad for it which seems excessive to me, but I am having trouble coming up with a reasonable alternative.

I'm in the same boat OP and this or something from Griffin is definitely the move. My local dealership wants $1k cad for it which seems excessive to me, but I am having trouble coming up with a reasonable alternative.
There are options on Amazon.
ALLOYWORKS 3 Row Aluminum Radiator for Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series 1HZ 1HDT FZJ80 Turbo Diesel AT/MT 1990-1998 https://a.co/d/h7wBdwK

I have yet to find someone who has actually used one of these Chinese radiators. It seems like a copy of the Terrain Tamer, but at 25% of the cost.

I’m hoping that someone on here has used one of the aluminum radiators, or the factory HD option.

16400-17020
Do you happen to have the core measurements on this part #? I currently have an aftermarket one that the importer had to install to appease customs because of a leak. The core is roughly 1.75” thick, so not much.
Thank you

We always have to pay more north of the border, but this place seems to have a bit of a discount compared to other Canadian dealer prices. I just bought a new driveshaft from them and saved some money over buying from my local dealer.

Just talked with Griffin, 8-00275 is $1111usd. It has 4 week lead time. Ron Davis was almost $1500usd and has a 6 week lead time. I really just want to purchase once, and cry once.

reread posts #2 & #3.👍🎯👍

reread posts #2 & #3.👍🎯👍
I’m trying to get an actual core thickness for that part #. My friend, that works for Toyota cooperate, can’t locate any measurements. I’m curious to see how it compares to what I have currently.

I have gone the eBay route, see my posts here on what I ordered and, much more importantly, here on what was wrong and therefore what to look for/know prior to purchase on these radiators. I was specifically looking for the auto tranny cooler built in because I live in a cold climate so that made it harder to find. There's still plenty of room to the fan with this much-thicker radiator installed.

If I knew about the configuration issues ahead of time dealing with it would have been simple/easy, or helped me pick out the correct radiator to start with. At any rate, saving $1000+ is a big chunk of change and overall a year later I'm happy with the eBay radiator at such a big cost savings.

With this radiator, I have to push it in the heat of summer while towing up a grade to get to 230. I think I'd have a hard time getting much above 220, if ever, without towing (again, in the heat of summer). It's a VAST improvement over the CSF that I used to have. Can't comment on OEM because I had a wood splinter pierce the radiator on the drive home from picking this truck up so never really got to experience it.

Have you checked your fan clutch and re-oiled if needed?
Foam in place around the shroud?
It’s brand new OEM from cruiser outfitters. Has most of the foam. Biggest issue is the 1.75” core.

You still need to set the temp on the clutch even if brand new and correct for an HDJ. Been there, done that--even from Cruiser Outfitters to boot. I also upgraded to a higher CST fluid, I think I bought a 10k/25k/50k and mixed the 25k and 50k to make a 30Kcst....or something like that, super high. I can't say the notice was noteworthy, definitely not compared to the bigger 4-row aluminum radiator.

You still need to set the temp on the clutch even if brand new and correct for an HDJ. Been there, done that--even from Cruiser Outfitters to boot. I also upgraded to a higher CST fluid, I think I bought a 10k/25k/50k and mixed the 25k and 50k to make a 30Kcst....or something like that, super high. I can't say the notice was noteworthy, definitely not compared to the bigger 4-row aluminum radiator.
I might have to look into that. On the radiator side of things, I would love to get an original 3FE copper/brass and have a 3” core put in.

I think that has been mentioned already.
The “new” ones from Toyota are no longer copper/brass, they’re plastic/aluminum. If I can find one from 88-92 that’s an OEM copper/brass, my friend can put in the bigger core. I do have a couple leads locally from some TLCA guys. They are looking in the boneyard to see if one is available.

It’s brand new OEM from cruiser outfitters. Has most of the foam. Biggest issue is the 1.75” core.
You may have to bite the bullet on whatever you can find locally. They definately exist in NZ/Oz, 49mm (1.9 ish Inch) core radiators are readily available here in NZ for HDJ81s:
Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series 4.2L Diesel 1990 ~ 1996 Radiator - https://silverdaleradiators.co.nz/products/toyota-landcruiser-80-series-diesel-1990-1996-radiator-new (that company suck but just as an example)

I'm running a Jayrad with good results:
JR2222J 80 SEIRES RADIATOR 1HZ 1HD-T 1HD-FT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - HD Automotive - https://hdautomotive.com.au/product/jr2222j-80-seires/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom