79 40, the kids (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where is your parking break lever?

I'm converting to bucket seats and putting the parking break here in order to clear the shifters.

PXL_20230205_204113389.jpg

Nice rig!

Crazy AC and pimp interior excluded looks really solid, Congratulations. My first vehicle was the 40 I'm rebuilding again after 30 something years using parts from a 60.

If you do eventually install your 2F, four speed and spit case from a 60 without changing the top plate or shift cane your shifters will end up right about here. Probably would not be an issue with the bucket seats you have as long as the drivers are tall.

View attachment 3247977

Thanks for that, I could probably live with that.

Where is your parking break lever?

I'm converting to bucket seats and putting the parking break here in order to clear the shifters.

View attachment 3247978

I feel like it’s more forward and to the driver side. Here a crappy pic

D68A8EC7-E0E1-4D75-B350-A38BEE74BFA1.jpeg

So let’s talk about that, it seems like the 327 moved everything forward, because the PO notched a piece out of the heater when it shifts to 1st and 3rd. See picture. I can feel void under the carpet behind the top plate. It will be interesting to see what I find under the carpet.

View attachment 3247989

Pretty standard to see the transmission and transfer case moved forward on V8 conversions in a FJ40. The four speed in a FJ40 has a cast iron cover. When the FJ60 started 8/80 transmission and sits further forward and shifter is further back on the cover. The top cover on these is cast out of aluminum. The transfer case shifter used the same boss on the transmission case as the 40 to pivot from up to 4/85 in the US. This shifter bends back to be closer to the transmission shifter. Would have avoided cutting the heater and probably used the factory opening for the transmission shifter. Transfer case may not be as closer but still further back. I did find a shift boot for the 70 series shifter that fits the four speed opening up to 10/82 when the boot changed. Transfer boot is leather and should work but may not be as far back as original spot but still further than it original location.

Something else to consider with the 60 series transmission and split transfer case the rear motor that bolts to the back of the transfer case is not a match. Factory the bellhousing had the rear motor mounts. 8/80 that changed to a crossmember similar to the 60 series.
IMG_20200611_104208524.jpg
IMG_20190814_105333095.jpg

Just things that need to be addressed if your go back to a 2F down the road.

Pretty standard to see the transmission and transfer case moved forward on V8 conversions in a FJ40. The four speed in a FJ40 has a cast iron cover. When the FJ60 started 8/80 transmission and sits further forward and shifter is further back on the cover. The top cover on these is cast out of aluminum. The transfer case shifter used the same boss on the transmission case as the 40 to pivot from up to 4/85 in the US. This shifter bends back to be closer to the transmission shifter. Would have avoided cutting the heater and probably used the factory opening for the transmission shifter. Transfer case may not be as closer but still further back. I did find a shift boot for the 70 series shifter that fits the four speed opening up to 10/82 when the boot changed. Transfer boot is leather and should work but may not be as far back as original spot but still further than it original location.

Something else to consider with the 60 series transmission and split transfer case the rear motor that bolts to the back of the transfer case is not a match. Factory the bellhousing had the rear motor mounts. 8/80 that changed to a crossmember similar to the 60 series.
View attachment 3248039View attachment 3248040
Just things that need to be addressed if your go back to a 2F down the road.

Great Information, Thank you. I do have the rear crossmember for the 2F, which I’m guessing can be modded to fit.

Let me ask this, How much does the transmission/transfer case floor cover change on the 40. Is a 71 (uncut) compatible with a 79. I’m guessing it changed design when it went from the tree ( Steering column) to the floor. I also assume that the 79 is cut pretty good when they did the change over.

79 was the start of a different doghouse cover, 78 and earlier were completely different. The whole seating area is way different with the gas tank being moved to under the tub.

79 was the start of a different doghouse cover, 78 and earlier were completely different. The whole seating area is way different with the gas tank being moved to under the tub.

Makes sense, I didn’t even think about the fuel tank changing the design after it got removed from the cab.

Give you an idea of the differences. Here is the size of the cover on a 73-78 on the left. Earlier in the middle.
IMG_2376.jpg

The inspect cover 79-82
IMG_2760.JPG

While this is a later five speed cover is on an 82 tub. Give an idea of how the hump is now part of the tub.
20220320_111803.jpg

Believe 1/79 Toyota used new manufacturing technology to use thinner metal and maintain the same strength. The hump being part of the tub versus a removable was the price paid. This didn't account on rust or ease of working on the transmission and transfer case. 78 could have made the 60 series changed by removing the seats, gas tank than the cover for complete access. 79 only have a small inspection cover that can be removed.

Last edited:
Well, we have brakes. Just installed the brake booster and master cylinder. Still need to update hoses under the hood, and go through the front disk, and rear drums but it stops as it is now.

Also got a little bit of body work done. Driver side rear bumper was really pushed in, and twisted. Was able to work it back out, had to cut, work the piece on the table and weld it back. Not perfect, but better. (Paint was just to cover the bare metal)

144321FC-A0EC-43F3-92CF-19257F801CA0.jpeg

4122158C-C07F-47D8-97BF-5447E218C69A.jpeg

0DB1CAD5-3A7B-4DCB-8B79-259C75A72B48.jpeg

9A36AA30-6EB7-4846-B3E8-A3E8859DB52D.jpeg

Little update still working on the little things, got the interior out and cleaned up. Found some rust under the wonderful carpet in the passenger side foot well. Will get that fixed here next, then pull the top and do some fiberglass work when we remove the RV AC unit.
IMG_2048.jpeg
IMG_2046.jpeg

IMG_2047.jpeg

IMG_2045.jpeg

Nice work, it February build date

Nice 40!
I'm partial to a freeborn red '79.

What's the build date on yours?
Looks to be an early '79. Guessing Jan through Mar looking at the fuel door.

That floor rot doesn't look too bad at all. Easily accessible from underneath

I figured your son would’ve wanted to keep that velour carpeting in the back, for hot nights out on dates!

Oh well, the ‘70s are over!

Nice truck!

He keeps trying to keep the lame RV AC the PO installed on the fiberglass roof. I had to over rule his decision, that thing has to go.

I figured your son would’ve wanted to keep that velour carpeting in the back, for hot nights out on dates!

Oh well, the ‘70s are over!

Nice truck!

Slowly, but surely a little progress. We also put a new fuel pump on the 327, that died this weekend. We used Raptor lining on the floor, hopefully next weekend we can put everything back in for good for awhile.

I ordered the 4plus battery tray, so that will get the battery back under the hood. I‘ll place an order with city racer for all new hard top rubber seals as well.

IMG_0220.jpeg

IMG_0219.jpeg

IMG_0222.jpeg

IMG_0224.jpeg

IMG_2185.jpeg

It’s not real pretty, we cut in some new medal using flat stock. Shaped the best we could, and some body filler, I’ll admit it wasn’t a lot of filler and it turned out ok, it’s just not show room quality.
Nice! Any details on the rust repair to the front floorboards? My ‘79 has rust in the exact same spot…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom