1975 FJ40 Running Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It’s going to keep rusting into oblivion until you ‘right the wrong’

Flip your bezel the correct way

BD4003C3-B474-4C22-824A-1DDB4B8C888C.jpeg

Edit to add it’s a March/1975 FJ40. Going to look at, and if all goes well planning to buy my first FJ40 tomorrow. It's been in the same family since the '80s, runs, stops and is in pretty good shape. It's not perfect, but it's the best one I've found in a price range I feel good about. It has what I think is pretty standard rust attacking the rear sill and rear quarters. I'm hoping to enjoy it for a while, and eventually make the repairs. It's also had a sunroof added...bummer, but looks like that can be patched eventually too. When I'm crawling around and under it tomorrow....what else should I be looking at? How much rust is too much rust? Thanks all! View attachment 3229934
rear frame, rear frame, rear frame and everything that attaches to it. :worms:

I just checked prices at CCOT, and for my 40, I need a minimum of $1600 worth of panels, if I were to purchase from them. That's probably what I will end up doing for mine, but it's going to take a lot of work. It sure would be nice to have a new tub, but that's a lot more money. I also kind of hate to get rid of that much. Kind of takes away the heart of it.

Last edited:
I just checked prices at CCOT, and for my 40, I need a minimum of $1600 worth of panels, if I were to purchase from them. That's probably what I will end up doing for mine, but it's going to take a lot of work. It sure would be nice to have a new tub, but that's a lot more money. I also kind of hate to get rid of that much. Kind of takes away the heart of it.
How bad is the rust on yours Suzuguru? This one has the standard around rear quarters, rear sill, some on front fenders and now I see some inside near rear jump seats. Ultimately it runs and drives well, and I don’t think the rust needs to be addressed immediately so going to hold off for a while and drive as is. My goal is for it to be a solid driver and that’s it.

How bad is the rust on yours Suzuguru? This one has the standard around rear quarters, rear sill, some on front fenders and now I see some inside near rear jump seats. Ultimately it runs and drives well, and I don’t think the rust needs to be addressed immediately so going to hold off for a while and drive as is. My goal is for it to be a solid driver and that’s it.

I would say that mine is about normal, except that the corners are horrible, and the sill is almost completely gone. The floor pans in the front also need to be done. I have the skill to fix it, but flip flop between fixing it and buying a new tub just because of all the labor involved.

707DC0F6-AE02-483A-95C7-4A999397E795.jpeg

C612D95C-6690-41B1-BCDE-5E5AAFE4D8BA.jpeg

I just did the rear sill on mine. It was not nearly as bad or difficult as I thought it would be. my sill was also mostly gone. I think I could hold the parts of the sill I cut out in the palms of my hands. Just measure like 8 times and make sure you have all the tools and parts close by. These are old trucks that all seem to be very prone to rust and lots of people just drive them into the ground.

Last edited:
Sure this is photo-shopped, but who could make this tee shirt?
Haha! My wife made me a bezel sweatshirt. I’m sure with proper measurements the sizing could be adapted to fully encompass the correct locations.

Got it back to Grand Junction. Drove it from Crested Butte to Gunnison, and decided to trailer it from there. After running it for a while, it started steadily leaking coolant from the thermostat housing/gasket (easy fix). So decided not to risk a 100 or so mile drive through the mountains. Cleaning it inside and out today. My project (fixing a bit while still driving) starts.

I would still that's better than average. I wish mine was that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom