Weather Stripping (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all -- there's a lot of weather stripping out there and I'm curious if there is a consensus on who makes the best stuff, fit, glue etc???? Thanks for your input!

Here is cruiser corps (front door set for $180): Weatherstrip - Front Door Seals Set - Reproduction - FJ40, FJ45, BJ 1975-1984 - https://cruisercorps.com/collections/front-door-weatherstrips/products/weatherstrip-front-door-seals-set-reproduction

City Racer (front door set for $96): Front Door Seal Weatherstrips for '75 to '84 Land Cruiser FJ40 - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/front-door-seal-weatherstrips-for-land-cruiser-fj40-lh-and-rh?variant=23982075331

And Cool Cruisers (full set front and rear doors for $125): https://www.coolcruisers.com/weatall4door1.html

🤷🏻‍♂️

My input is limited because I have not installed it yet. I Have a set of aftermarket seals and they seemed a simple design. Not sure of the source but they are solid foam. Research I did found people saying aftermarket stuff was too dense and made the doors hard to close. I just ordered OEM seals in December and they were ~$130 for the set, but the earlier models 69-74.

This site is a good source. 68109-90301 - Toyota Parts Deal - https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~weatherstrip~front~door~lh~68109-90301.html?vin=&make=Toyota&model=Land%20Cruiser&year=1976&submodel=&extra1=&extra2=&filter=()&location=pd:,

Last edited:
I’ve used CityRacers sets in 3 cruisers (70, 71, 79) and very pleased in all 3. I used 3M black weatherstrip adhesive. NOT 3M SUPER BLACK!

I’ve used CityRacers sets in 3 cruisers (70, 71, 79) and very pleased in all 3. I used 3M black weatherstrip adhesive. NOT 3M SUPER BLACK!
To expand upon @Skreddy 's recommendation, use 3M black adhesive part no. 08011, intended for EDPM material, not 08008 "Super Black". This is based upon 3M's recommendation.

I used the 08011 with cityracer weatherstrip on my '73, and it was fine.

Buy OEM and you don't have to worry if you bought or can get the right glue. I bought CR seals for a few of my 40's thinking I'd save some $ but ultimately (hard closing doors, misalignment casued by density issues, glue sensitivity and our local heat) I threw it all away and went back to OEM, now without issue on all.

Buy OEM and you don't have to worry if you bought or can get the right glue. I bought CR seals for a few of my 40's thinking I'd save some $ but ultimately (hard closing doors, misalignment casued by density issues, glue sensitivity and our local heat) I threw it all away and went back to OEM, now without issue on all.
Yep same. I buy oem when available, usually through Toyota partsdeals.com. When I can't find OEM I buy City Racer.

Good day. Newbie here. im looking for (to start with) all body gaskets, seals, weather strips for 84 fj40 hard top. Inclusive of seals for all windows, doors and body panels. Assume that i have just metal. need everything else. I basically need everything for the body which will also include all door locks, handles inner and outer, door window regulators with full gasket and weather strips. (rear doors are ambulance style). I do have all glass in good condition except L+R doors and front windshield. (badly sratched up)
I have side sliding type cargo window which i want to retain. however i cant seem to find any replacement seals and tracks for this.
i have been searching around but can someone provide a diagram with all the oem seals, locations and p/ns?
Ive seen some of the recommended places to get parts, but then seeing mixed reviews on aftermarket seals.
Is there a one stop recommended shop that can provide everything?
TBH i am getting flustered when jumping around from site to site. Advice welcomed as im trying to do a restoration here.

flame suit on.

I've always subscribed to the belief that OEM weatherstripping was best...

City Racer goes to considerable effort to duplicate OEM products, yet the City Racer weatherstripping is different. Hmmm?

About a week ago I reached out to City Racer to ask why the difference? I got a very detailed, and very nice reply explaining why the City Racer EDPM rubber weather stripping is superior to OEM Toyota, which is foam rubber.

I need a complete set of FJ40 weatherstripping... and it will be 100% City Racer.

I installed the very first test set of @Racer65 weatherstrip for my 74 and it fit perfectly and my doors close perfectly and the seal is nice. I've heard people mention that it is too dense/thick to close doors but I didn't have that problem at all. As noted above, the key is using the EDPM adhesive and being patient. Seems counterintuitive to let it dry before bonding... I know I had to tape a couple of spots since I wasn't patient enough with that adhesive. But that is the last set I will ever install considering the material used vs. the foam.

1688919774276.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom