1970 FJ40 Transfer case rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1675746258835.jpeg
I want to rebuid this transfercase from my 1970 FJ40, the stock 3-speed transmision was bolted to this transfercase. I have looked at a few after market rebuild kits that include seals, bearings and gasket kit. I am not 100% clear on the best kit to purchase and the year discription is not clear on some of the rebuild kits.
Looking for opions from ih8mud mechanics on what to buy.

Transfer case 2.jpg

Transfer case 3.jpg

Transfer case 4.jpg

Last night my new transfer case housing and rebuild parts arrived from Georg. He was helpful over the phone, as this is my first time rebuilding the transfer case. I'm sure he could help you figure out what you'd need, and he's got the parts.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

My 1970 has a vacuum shift actuator and 3 on the tree linkage. That looks like the bell crank linkage which is on the early 4 speed t case I have for rebuilding.... I dont know the exact years (72-75 maybe?)

My 1970 has a vacuum shift actuator and 3 on the tree linkage. That looks like the bell crank linkage which is on the early 4 speed t case I have for rebuilding.... I dont know the exact years (72-75 maybe?)

That is a three speed manual shift transfer case. While not common here prior to the 72 model these were around in other markets from the start of this style case in mid 1963. The give away it's a three speed case is the length of shaft to switch between 2WD and 4WD. This style shifter change 4/75 on the four speed.

That is a three speed manual shift transfer case. While not common here prior to the 72 model these were around in other markets from the start of this style case in mid 1963. The give away it's a three speed case is the length of shaft to switch between 2WD and 4WD. This style shifter change 4/75 on the four speed.
Interesting. Since its in the US would it have been converted from a vac set up to manual? When those kits are sold are those bits imported? I always assumed they were taken from domestic 4 speed t cases.

I ask because Ive got an early 4 speed I wanted to swap into my 1970, mechanical linkages with the bell crank, but was considering keeping my 3 speed t case for the 2.3 low. However if the shift actuator doesnt swap over then its not happening and I will rebuild the 4 speed because I intend to eliminate the vacuum setup.

@MTSPLZ Im getting ready to rebuild mine. Ive been looking at Cruiser Outfitters and Cruiser Brothers/Valley Hybrids. Valley Hybrids has nice T case savers and offers a double output seal mod which I plan to do for extra insurance.

40 Channel has a nice video on rebuilding a t case

Last edited:
Interesting. Since its in the US would it have been converted from a vac set up to manual? When those kits are sold are those bits imported? I always assumed they were taken from domestic 4 speed t cases.

Possible but that short shaft is from a three speed. 1994 I converted my 68 to a four speed and kept my three speed transfer case. My 73 FST came from the factory with a three speed and floor shift transfer case. Parts to do have always been available. The boss that on the side of the transmission to bolt the shifter to is on all three speeds otherwise it wouldn't work for a manual shift. The floor shift three speed did not have the option to thread in a reverse light switch in the beginning. Few of these covers still floating around. Believe I have one of these covers.
PXL_20230207_163522140.jpg

I also had the supplement manual for the new three speed transmission and transfer case.
Interesting it does not cover shifters for either, only twenty pages. By the date guess it was push out in a rush. But there is a picture of the three speed case having the transfer case manual shifter boss.
PXL_20230207_165811967.jpg

PXL_20230207_165338585.jpg
PXL_20230207_165413230.jpg

This is the kit you need for your 1970 t-case behind the factory 3spd (J30):

This includes all of the bearings, seals, gaskets, nuts, etc. All 100% Japanese parts. If you're mating the tcase to a different transmission, we have additional kits/parts to make that happen.

Last night my new transfer case housing and rebuild parts arrived from Georg. He was helpful over the phone, as this is my first time rebuilding the transfer case. I'm sure he could help you figure out what you'd need, and he's got the parts.

Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com
Thank you for the contact info, always good to have options. I went with Cruiser Outfitters kit for this one.

Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

I purchsed the shift linkage 10+ years ago to replace the vacuum system, the rebuild kits are not clear on what year they apply too. Made a purchase and going for it.

This is the kit you need for your 1970 t-case behind the factory 3spd (J30):

This includes all of the bearings, seals, gaskets, nuts, etc. All 100% Japanese parts. If you're mating the tcase to a different transmission, we have additional kits/parts to make that happen.
Thank you for the link and info. I have a rebuild kit from you in the mail now, and a few other "must Have" parts I discovered while exploring the site.

I purchsed the shift linkage 10+ years ago to replace the vacuum system, the rebuild kits are not clear on what year they apply too. Made a purchase and going for it.

Only difference between the vacuum and direct shift would be a gaskets for the diaphragm shift that come in the kit. Where the two difference styles bolt to the nose cone use the same gasket.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom