Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's all gravy. Glad you're enjoying the thread.

Next phase for this money pit will be primering the whole thing and sand it. Then prime it again and sand it again.

Then color time.

Pretty sure my color choice is going to rustle jimmies.
I am a little terrified how much it all has cost, but as you said your single no kids, and obviously extremely love cruisers, so why not. It would be one of the few truly rust free troopies on the planet.

So rear wheel well is patched now too.

View attachment 2280704

rear rocker is also patched and mostly done.

View attachment 2280705

Moving towards rear floor crossmember today.

Cheers
Are you using a copper bar behind the alternating short welds? Guess you can't always get a bar behind.

I assume they are for the most part butt welds when not using the spot welder?

What does it look like behind the butt welds?

Thank you again, learning..

I’ve already instructed my bride that if I die to send my cruiser to @SNLC and use some of the insurance money to have our Troopy redone for the kids to use.

I'm pretty dumb too, so that helps.
mate! we see so many supposedly really 'smart' people do insanely 'dumb ' things everyday all over the world. Which I am sure you have witnessed frequently.

what you have done is a form of love or art, not dumb. kind enough to share it too.

And thankfully for some in the world, there are things worth more than money, like learning, experience, friendship or a result from doing a good job. Can't put a price on it, worth more than money and wouldn't sell it.

Must say Tony, your build has most certainly inspired me to really clean and preserve my troopy! Can't stop thinking of those images of unseen rusty pockets now. 😁

Getting a little vitamin D this morning. 😋

92542CBF-8F85-4AC0-A312-D66762009C2D.jpeg
003DFCCF-54D1-4B23-9F4A-F71C719776D9.jpeg
C1A19366-AE43-4396-8CC7-720824862D5B.jpeg

Cheers

Hey Trail Tailor. Do you know anything about the step off the back of the bumper on this rig? I have a a Gobi X bumper on my 2002 HZJ78 and was looking for something like that for my setup.

Yes, it is off of a Land Rover Defender. Customer added the spring loaded step, not sure of the particulars though.

Jason

should just clear coat it as is! not to stand out in 3rd world..I like the maker's marks.

It would definitely look cool and be a lot cheaper than this full respray. But it wouldn't help resale if I get in a jam and need to offload it.

Plus, it won't jive with this hanging off the back.

20230125_152315.jpg

Last edited:
It would definitely look cool and be a lot cheaper than this full respray. But it wouldn't help resale if I get in a jam and need to offload it.

Plus, it won't jive with this hanging off the back.

View attachment 3237679
but then, you don't do a job like that whilst thinking of selling it!

yeah the shiny bike is a bit of sign.

Probably not your wardrobe but I have factory kubota orange, stands out like dog's testicles, but works like reverse psychology 'look at me', so no one looks, never get pulled over. Often folks think it is still fire brigade, so they let me through where I shouldn't be. Initially I thought it was too much but now live with it and look totally at home at a tractor or earth moving sight, easy to get touch up paint too.
1675417828892.png

At least grow a moustache maybe! (can't find a moustache emoji)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom