Correct tank for a 3/69 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
hotmilkforbreakfast.wordpress.com
img_20230129_193201455-jpg.3233294

I am restoring a 3/69 manufacture FJ40, and after finally getting the pickup tube unclogged, I have evaporust coming through a bottom seam.

I found a replacement tank from Toyota that may or may not fit.

Tank Assembly Fuel - Toyota (77100-60012)​

The pictures I see associated with this pn are all over the map. My tank is a snorkel tank with no evaporation lines, only the one smaller return for the filler, a drain plug, and an outlet midway on the inboard side.

IMG_20230129_203252439 (1).jpg

CCOT makes a repop tank that looks just like this, but it claims to be for 8/69 to 72. Dunno what the difference is, but don't want to chunk down $400 - $500 for something I can't use.

Any suggestion/real world experience with this issue?

Thanks!

Sorry to see you had a one-sided conversation. ☹️

That tank will work just fine in your truck.😉

I got that Toyota tank from Mudrak years ago and it was 380 ish IIRC. IMO thats a decent price.

McGeorge offers it for $380 plus shipping ($95) and Tennessee state tax, which is where the $522 figure comes from.

Odd that OEM is cheaper than most repops right now.

Buy from your local dealer and you won't pay shipping costs.

Still see some dealers offering free shipping on orders over $75. Limit of $200 max savings. Might be a little cheaper that way. Do not remember being charge sale tax of ordering from out of state.

Curious when Toyota started adding dimples to the top of the replaement tanks. I know a friend picked up a 65 FJ45 in the early nineties and the tank was a replacement tank with the dimples.

Being sold my Toyota would assume the dimples clear the factory bench seat?

Still see some dealers offering free shipping on orders over $75. Limit of $200 max savings. Might be a little cheaper that way. Do not remember being charge sale tax of ordering from out of state.

Curious when Toyota started adding dimples to the top of the replaement tanks. I know a friend picked up a 65 FJ45 in the early nineties and the tank was a replacement tank with the dimples.

Being sold my Toyota would assume the dimples clear the factory bench seat?
Tennessee sales tax is a non-negotiable. To send stuff here, retailers must collect tax.

I don't know any retailer who would eat $100 shipping on a $380 item.

Most retailers who offer free shipping also offer free overpricing to compensate.

As far as I know the shipping is something Toyota is involved in. More than one dealer offers it Jim Ellis in Georgia offers the deal and price of the tank $459.86. No shipping cost and no tax would be cheaper.

As far as I know the shipping is something Toyota is involved in. More than one dealer offers it Jim Ellis in Georgia offers the deal and price of the tank $459.86. No shipping cost and no tax would be cheaper.
First of all, the "no tax" would be illegal.

Do you have a link to how one orders from Jim Ellis? I tried the website and got nowhere fast.

First of all, the "no tax" would be illegal.

Do you have a link to how one orders from Jim Ellis? I tried the website and got nowhere fast.

Not sure tax laws in all fifty states. I know Oregon doesn't even have a state tax and none would be collected. AZ wants a sale tax if the business has a brick and mortar store in the state. Now if you bought a car out of state when your register it here the state collects a tax. Certain car dealers will have the business outside city limits to sale the buyer from paying city sales tax. I just purchased something online that was shipped from California. No tax on that purchase. I do not claim to know all state sales tax law. Personally let the business doing business online worry about the tax laws. If Tennessee requires all businesses to collect a sale tax on all purchases that doesn't mean that applies to what all other states do. I know big sites like Amazon and eBay collect a sales tax. But that tax is less than what Arizona's sale tax rate. That may trickle down to smaller online sites in the future but hasn't to most I deal with.

As for ordering I never had a issue doing it on their Toyota online parts site. I have purchased items in the past where I split and created a second order to get the free shipping. Purchased Toyota's bolt on sliders for the 5th gen 4Runner that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom